Help

The VENT

Back to school supplies

>

sonoma

Back to school supplies
Old 07-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am watching the commercials and getting annoyed. I worked at a magnet school with very little turnover so we would have the same kids and parents k-8.

At the end of the school year we send home very specific lists of the supplies students need including a list of items they are not allowed to have.

Every year we have parents who buy everything on the staples list instead of our official list.

On the first day of school I spent too much time going through the backpacks full of school supplies and having kids put the items not allowed into the backpack to leave at home. And invariably I get many complaints about how much money the parent spent on school supplies.

Why do parents buy all this crap when they know itís not allowed?

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

MsBTexas

Old 07-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just out of curiosity--what are the things they usually buy that you don't allow?

It sounds like an honest mistake to me. I can see parents not buying the brand specified on a list due to cost, but to buy stuff specifically listed as not allowed doesn't sound quite right (for most parents--we all know some don't care). I bet they just think the Staples list is correct--especially if they potentially have some clueless worker there telling them it is! Also, lord knows if they've kept up with the list previously sent home!
MsBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

You're lucky
Old 07-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most of my parents can't buy any supplies, so I would be grateful for anything I received. Do your parents get a supply list mailed to them in the summer? That's when to catch them, not weeks after they already went shopping at Staples and whatnot and used the wrong list.

sonoma

Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They buy things like large 3 ring binders, fancy assignment books (our school has our own - required and free), 96 box crayons that donít fit in the desk, eraser toys, little toys that fit on pencils, sets of sharpies, calculators, electronic dictionary, color ink pens, fancy pencil boxes that donít fit in the desk

brooks56

Supplies
Old 07-24-2019, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Is there anyway you could keep some of those items and put them in a prize box for incentives for the class or individual students? I taught at a Title 1 School and I was happy to get anything except toys.

brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Emily
Old 07-24-2019, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

They get a list in June and itís posted online.

NJ Teacher

I think...
Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A lot of parents just don't read carefully and/or misplace the supply letter. You have the perfect answer for any complaints though, a letter was sent specifically spellio song out the required supplies for a reason. Things like the crayons could be emptied into a community tub, but toys that are pencil toppers are distractions for them to play with. I would collect the Sharpies too and have the kids use them for special projects or you could use them as needed. Electronic dictionaries and fancy pencil boxes might be able to go into a writing center with the gel pens and other writing supplies.

Many years ago, our PTO did a school supply fundraiser from Staples. We as a grade level created the supply list, and Staples offered the specific things we asked for as a package. It was a little bit of a headache because not all parents participated or picked up their boxes, so we had to deal with that the first day. Once everything was sorted and the extras put away to be stored for when needed, it was great. Unfortunately, a new principal did not like the idea, so we had to stop doing it.

Maybe over the summer, midway through if you have a class list if you have access to parent emails, a reminder could go out asking them to just purchase what is on the list. Another copy of the list could be attached. Don't be surprised though, many parents just do what's convenient for them.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Funny story...
Old 07-24-2019, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This reminded me of a funny story.

My aunt is now a retired kindergarten teacher, but one year, many many years ago, her school did one of those open house type events. Students could come in any time during the day to drop off supplies, meet their teacher, fill out their paperwork, etc. One year, this little girl came into my aunt's room alone. She was wheeling in a red wagon filled with supplies. Things like folders, notebooks, pencils, pens, binders, looseleaf paper, staplers, tacs, computer paper, markers, crayons, binder clips, paper clips, tape, glue, glue sticks....you name it, it was in this big, red wagon. No parent was with her. My aunt introduced herself and asked the girl for her name. It turned out the parents were filling out forms. I don't recall exactly how everything transpired, but when the child was not in ear shot and the parents came in, my aunt explained that not all of those supplies would be needed and asked if they saw the copy of the school supply list sent home. The parents said they did, but they instead decided on a different method. They took to girl to Staples (or Office Max/Office Depot, one of those type stores) and told her to "Have at it!" Hence, the reason she had so many supplies, many supplies students wouldn't use! I shutter to think what that bill was! I' don't remember what my aunt said, how they handled it, etc., but I do remember all of the unique supplies she brought and the, "Oh we just took her to Staples at told her to Have at it!" comment!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

WE have the opposite problem....
Old 07-24-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Kids often come to school with nothing nowadays ( not even a pencil). The parents get a letter/ supply list mailed to them 2-3 wks before school starts.
About 5 out of 20 kids bring school supplies here on an average year. Often though, kids will bring toys.
I have had kids bring a pencil box or binder a few times that won't fit in their desks too.
Most of our parents could afford the basics if they prioritized their kids' supplies over meth, booze, or toys. It is good to hear from another corner of the world where parents buy supplies.
I always have a small handful of parents who buy 1 box of Kleenex for the class. Of course, they all get used up. By cold season, those parents start buying their kids the small bags of Kleenex to keep in their own desks.
Summerwillcom is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-24-2019, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Pet peeve: I feel that the school district should supply tissues. They supply toilet paper and paper towels, so why doesn't this fall into the same category?
Some years, I get enough from parents to last the year. Some years I don't and then I usually break down and buy.

Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

binders
Old 07-25-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have the same problem. Parents will send these huge binders filled with lined paper that just weigh down and stuff the child's backpack. A binder is NOT on the supply list! I just kindly tell the students it will make a great notebook to draw or write in at home, so I have them take it back home.

Some of those binders aren't cheap, so I don't know why they do that rather than the cheap 10 cent folders we request.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Supplies
Old 07-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That is why our district has gone to supply fee for k-6 students.
No more stuff we donít want.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Wrong supplies
Old 07-26-2019, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

A couple of years ago a parent had the grandparents buy all the supplies. Of course, it was all the wrong items such as mini stapler and permanent markers. The grandparents came in with the kindergarten child so pleased that they purchased all the supplies they thought their sweet child needed.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Supplies
Old 07-26-2019, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My old district we were not allowed to ask parents to supply anything...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote