Help

Special Education

No RtI/MTSS process...is this legal?

>

Haley23

No RtI/MTSS process...is this legal?
Old 08-26-2019, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've posted before that my school does intervention blocks for everything. All students receive 30 minutes daily and the most struggling students receive 45 minutes daily in a small group. Programs used are Orton Gillingham based- 95% group, SPIRE, etc. Below grade level students are progress monitored in DIBELS weekly and all teachers meet for a data team every six weeks where we look at the data, move students into different groups as necessary and/or change the focus of groups.

So when we talk about referring a kid for a sped eval, presuming the concern is reading (at least 90% of the time, it is) it's never the case that interventions haven't been done or data hasn't been collected. Up to this point, we've been having monthly MTSS meetings and that's how kids get through the referral process when necessary. Honestly I hate them, and a big reason is that it's hard to offer other suggestions due to the rigorous intervention program we already have in place. We typically come up with some small things that were honestly probably already happening.

When considering SLD, the two main qualifiers in my state are performance significantly below peers and non-response to research based interventions. We've typically explained this as formal testing helping us identify that the child meets the first qualifier, and the MTSS process helping us identify that the child meets the second qualifier.

P wants us to get rid of the monthly MTSS meetings because she feels like the meetings aren't productive and it's just "hoops to jump through" in order to get a student on an IEP. Of course, the rest of our staff would be thrilled with this. P says we can use the intervention block/data team process as MTSS documentation for referrals. For example, today she brought up in our team meeting that she wanted us to evaluate a 3rd grader who she's convinced is dyslexic. I'd never heard of her- she hasn't been in the low groups in the intervention block. Her data is low, but there are about 10 other non-IEP students with similar data.

On the one hand, I get what P is saying and I would honestly have to admit the MTSS meetings aren't productive most of the time. On the other hand, the idea that we're basically just going to refer kids willy nilly based on whatever data P decides is important sounds like a really scary slippery slope to me. And is some sort of "official" MTSS meeting documentation required for the evaluation (i.e. documentation of specific problem solving conversations regarding just that one child, not a group like in the data teams) really necessary, or could you just write about the interventions given to the child and their progress monitoring?

I know some of this may be state specific. I'm just curious to hear what others think.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

Not sure... I am just talking here
Old 08-29-2019, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

so take it at face value only.

If she is just getting rid of the "Meeting," can you all just use the data from the Intervention block? The teachers would still need to fill out all the right forms and collect the appropriate data, right? Or she doesn't want that either?

If you have the referral for intervention from the homeroom teachers and the Intervention packets filled out, I would think that would cover it. I think.

As I said, I don't claim to know for sure--But I would think that the interventions and data are more important than the meetings themselves.

I would definitely try really hard to insist that EVERYONE follow the protocol and do/document interventions.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-29-2019, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
The teachers would still need to fill out all the right forms
Well, there really aren't any forms. Every child participates in the intervention block (high kids are in bigger groups/focused on higher level skills), so there is no documentation saying someone was "referred for intervention" or any notes about that specific child.

We do have a portion of the data teams where we talk about the groups and move students around as necessary, but the only "notes" you would see is the list of student names for each intervention group and the skill the group was focusing on. It would just look like this:
Ms. Haley- vowel teams
Johnny
Suzie
Sarah
etc. etc.

We do progress monitor in DIBELS (weekly for "reds") so that data would be there, but no real documentation of a "problem solving" process. Our eligibility forms for initials also say something about parents being informed that their child was struggling and about ways to help.

It seems to me that maybe we technically could do what she's saying, but it would require a lot more documentation of teachers if we're going to do it the "right" way. You'd need documentation of parent conversations, specifics about the intervention, etc. Now almost everything is filled out in those MTSS meetings.

Last edited by Haley23; 08-29-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote