What job opportunities are available beyond Kindergarten? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

What job opportunities are available beyond Kindergarten?

>

Melinda22

Melinda22

What job opportunities are available beyond Kindergarten?
Old 09-22-2019, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 12th year in Kindergarten. For many years, I have enjoyed my job, but I am starting to fall out of love with it, and that scares me. I enjoy the children, and the curriculum but the decisions being made at a district and administrative level scare me. They are NOT to the benefit of the children or the teachers, but are being based solely on MONEY. It is becoming very apparent that the children are not first in their thoughts, nor are the teachers.

I have entertained the idea of leaving the district, but am afraid I'll enter into a "worse" situation. Plus, the added stress of being a new "low man on the totem pole" I wouldn't want to be cut my 1st year due to low enrollment, or something else at a new district.

I am finding myself not caring as much as I once did, I feel as though I am doing what I have to do at my job, what is expected of me and that's it. I feel as though I am so pigeon-holed in Kindergarten that I am not qualified for anything else. I would like to teach at a college, but feel I'll be laughed out the door as my sole experience has been dealing with 5 + 6 year olds for 12 years. I don't know what to do, what opportunities may be available for someone with my experience. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.