Help

Special Education

What are your best tips?

>

NewCAteacher

What are your best tips?
Old 12-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím not new to this but I always feel like I have more to learn. Iím a resource teacher for grades 3-6.

How do you keep paperwork super organized?

Do you teach skills beyond what are listed in the IEP? I get bored of teaching main idea lessons again and again and so do they.

Do you use your own materials or do you use assignments from the classroom teacher?

What resources do you provide to students In their classrooms? Beyond the standard multiplication chart, number line, hundreds chart, dictionary, etc. My teachers already provide those. Iíve thought about providing them with editing and word problem solving checklists but they canít really use those without my support.

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How do you keep paperwork super organized?

I live by my google calendar. All of our meetings are on there and I also make "events" to remind myself to send consent for eval home 60 days in advance of Tris. I'm always checking what's coming up and making sure I'm ready for it. If I send paperwork home that needs to be signed, I put "check for paperwork from ___" on my to do list for the next day so I don't forget to look for it.

Any time I have a few minutes (waiting for staff meeting/pd/iep meeting to start, end of lunch time, before/after school contract time, etc.) I log on to our online IEP system and try to get something done. Even if it's just finishing a box or two in someone's IEP you'd be amazed at how much it adds up. I spend the vast majority of my planning time actually planning for instruction (very high expectations for how well planned we are at my school) and paperwork is totally done in these "in between" moments.

I'm not sure if you mean physical paperwork or just getting stuff done- we are required to keep paper copies of everything in a Student Services Record, so after each meeting I upload the signature pages right away and then organize the paperwork in the SSR so I don't forget it later or end up with piles on my desk. A lot of our student data is kept online, but I do keep a binder for each student for paper/pencil progress monitoring assessments. I used to keep a lot of work samples and found in the vast majority of cases they simply weren't ever needed or used. Now I only spend time collecting/organizing those if there is a specific reason it's needed (i.e. maybe considering a more restrictive placement).

Do you teach skills beyond what are listed in the IEP? I get bored of teaching main idea lessons again and again and so do they.

Absolutely. We're only allowed to write one goal for each academic area of need. In reading I try to use DIBELS because we're required to progress monitor students weekly in that anyway and part of my evaluation is based on student progress in DIBELS, so it's pretty important . But my reading instruction is very comprehensive and covers everything they need to learn to read and write.

In math, we don't have any standardized progress monitoring assessments to do so I try to pick a computation skill that's easy to make/use my own assessments for. But again, my math instruction is very comprehensive. The IEP goal progress monitoring is just one way that we're tracking the student's progress.

Do you use your own materials or do you use assignments from the classroom teacher?

Definitely my own materials. I do make sure that I use the same language as our gen ed reading curriculum so that students don't get confused. For K/1st I have the same letter, keyword, sound cards and alphabet chart that the classroom teachers use, and I work from the same general scope and sequence (although I do not rush through it to "keep up" with the classroom- it's based on where the kids needs are, but skills are still taught in the same order).

I know there are differing opinions on this, but I personally feel that having kids bring assignments and then just "helping" them with those is a pretty big waste of my skill set. The time is much better spent doing direct instruction on whatever skill deficits are keeping kids from accessing those assignments in the first place. If they truly only need a little extra help with classroom assignments, first of all a para can do that, and second of all I'd question if their needs are really great enough to have an IEP at all.

What resources do you provide to students In their classrooms? Beyond the standard multiplication chart, number line, hundreds chart, dictionary, etc. My teachers already provide those. I’ve thought about providing them with editing and word problem solving checklists but they can’t really use those without my support.

Honestly nothing beyond what you've mentioned here, and you're right most teachers are on top of it enough to already provide those things. I had a previous teammate who spent a lot of time making stuff for students to use in classrooms and it was a constant complaint from teachers that the students wouldn't use the resources, like you said. With the one million things we have to do this is just honestly not a top priority for me. I'd rather make sure my focus is on providing really high quality intervention when they're with me.

I do try to let teachers know what skills I'm working on so that they can also do those in their small groups, but that's frustrating because that takes up some time on my part and I feel the vast majority just ignore my emails.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote