Help

National Board Certification

National Boards question-component 2

>

IwinebcIteach

National Boards question-component 2
Old 12-09-2019, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! I am currently working on getting certified with my National Boards as a a Middle Childhood Generalist. Right now, I am working on Component 2 (the differentiation component). I currently teach math to all of our school's fourth graders but the component wants me to show how I differentiate instruction with narrative and expository writing. I do teach Writing to my homeroom but know that Math is my strength so I wanted to emphasize what I was good at. I had my students take a learning styles inventory to figure out if they were a Mastery , interpersonal, self expressive, or understanding learner. I created tasks where students had to explain the steps in division through song, comic strips, short story, etc and other assignments to match the way they learn. I also had them answer a short answer question for my expository writing. Do you think this is ok? I have a lot of ideas for the differentiation and to help them grow with this process (for example, students creating their own word problems for us to solve for narrative writing) but if they are wanting longer pieces this won't work. Thoughts?

IwinebcIteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-10-2019, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suggested this thread be moved to the NBs sub-forum.

C2 is about differentiation in literacy. It is not JUST about writing. I think you could make it work, but I think using the roster you teach literacy and not math would be an easier route.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Justjen72

I agree
Old 12-10-2019, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This component is asking for you to highlight two students to show differentiation with their writing of both narrative and informational. This would work for the informational one, but you would also need to show how the same two students wrote a narrative. Within this component you are also telling how you provided instruction or facilitated lessons to show growth on both of these types of writing. Including literature within this is key also.
Justjen72 is offline   Reply With Quote