Help

National Board Certification

Exceptional Needs- Component 4

>

dstanley89

Exceptional Needs- Component 4
Old 12-09-2019, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Congratulations to anyone who got the news they meet the requirements for their board certification!!
I am just beginning this journey and for some reason Component 4 seems to be extremely confusing and I canít wrap my mind around it!! Can anyone share what their student and professional learning needs were? Or a general idea, I know you can only disclose so much, Iím just finding it extremely frustrating that there are no samples.

dstanley89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-10-2019, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You identify the SN from a particular student population--you aren't limited to your roster. The PLN is a need you identify in yourself and/or colleagues. Addressing both must improve student performance. It kind of doesn't matter what anyone else did, because your needs will be unique to your students/staff. I hope that makes sense. Start looking at students and staff...what deficits are you seeing?

I recommend backward planning when deciding on SN/PLN. Look to the evidence first. You need three pieces of distinct evidence for each, so six total. How you identified the need (easy), how you met the need (pretty easy), and how you know your efforts improved student performance (can be tricky). You also need to show leadership, advocacy, and collaboration.

The SN and PLN CAN relate to each other but do not HAVE to. Either or both SN and PLN CAN relate to the unit/assessments but do not HAVE to. You MUST derive the unit/assessments directly from the KoS/Group Profile.

Examples aren't provided and you're right, NBCTs have to be careful how much they share. There is a reason for this. NBs is very open-ended giving candidates the freedom to showcase their own unique practice. Examples lock our brains into, "Oh, THIS is what it is supposed to be" which stifles that open-ended nature. There are as many ways to demonstrate accomplished teaching as there are accomplished teachers.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

C4
Old 12-10-2019, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am retaking this component. It has been awhile since I took it (Iím doing a retake), but I know that you have to look at a need for an individual student, in your room, with the student body, or school as a whole.

the professional need is something where you are working with your colleagues (other teachers, service providers etc..) to improve yourself. I think Iím clarifying it. I donít have the component in front of me.

I just know that the 2 pieces can be connected or donít have to be. I know Iím going to try and connect it using my PLC group this year as I have a fantastic and supportive PLC, and a group of students in one of my classes (I co-teach high school ELA). The first time I focused on one student but didnít connect the two areas. I did ok, but need to beef it up this time around. If you need a sounding board for your ideas, this is a great place!
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 12-10-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

my cert area was AYA ELA, and i don't want to give you examples of what i did because it was so dependent on my school's unique student and staff needs....if i worked in a different school with different students and staff, i probably would've done my PLN and SN quite differently. what zia said about looking for deficits for YOUR particular teaching environment is great advice.

i will say that C4 was a beast for me until i finally figured out that FOR ME, it was best to treat my PLN and SN completely separate, and work with different groups of colleagues and students for each.
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote

dstanley89

Old 12-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you all for your clarity! I think Iíve settled on using phonics as a student need and somehow integrating that as a professional learning need as well. It took a while for me to wrap my mind around this component but after narrowing down my need itís starting to feel more doable!!

dstanley89 is offline   Reply With Quote

clucerorobles

Components
Old 12-14-2019, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good luck!
clucerorobles is offline   Reply With Quote