Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

high blood pressure

>

illinoisteach

high blood pressure
Old 12-18-2019, 02:56 PM

I feel like such a mess right now. Last week, I was feeling very "off". Dizzy to the point of passing out and just not well. I had my school nurse take my blood pressure on Friday and it was 167/108. She suggested I leave and go to urgent care. They put me on Lisinopril (sp?) and I've been taking it for five days. Today at school, I felt that same dizziness and "off" feeling, so I had her take it again. It was 169/110. I became very emotional, because I feel like I can't control this. Add to that- we have not bought a Christmas tree (we always get a fresh tree). I have no presents (thought we'd be taking a spontaneous trip) and now my husband has to go out of town for a funeral (cousin killed in a car accident) and my son is now saying he can't get Monday or Friday off work. My birthday is also the day after Christmas. .
I know this sounds like a rambling mess. I'm wondering if I should still go to work tomorrow. I teach 3rd grade and feel awful about abandoning my students. Still feeling dizzy and trying to avoid the ER because I know it will be an astronomical cost. Sad about Christmas and no idea how to "fix" it.

illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I always had rather low bp
Old 12-18-2019, 03:19 PM

and then it spiked. I found out that I had a kidney stone. It was still in my kidney and hadn't moved so I was not in pain but it was messing up my blood pressure.
Just a thought as to an unusual reason for high blood pressure.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Bp
Old 12-18-2019, 03:38 PM

This time of year is especially bad for teachers - crazy behaviors, grades need to be turned in, shopping, decorating, baking and on and on. It's no wonder your BP is spiking.
It is sometimes tricky to get the right drug and the right dosage for each person correct. Take each day one at a time. It's only you and you can only do so much.
Please go to the ER and let them assess you. Hypertension is nothing to play with. It's important you get this treated. Christmas will come around next year. Make sure you will be here to celebrate.
Let us know how it goes!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Blood pressure monitor
Old 12-18-2019, 03:46 PM

You can buy a blood pressure monitor in a drug store like Walgreens. They are not too expensive. That way, you can take readings over several days and different times a day and show it to your health care provider for a pattern. You might find it is higher at certain times of the day. Stress is certainly a contributing factor. Sounds like your son is older and he should understand, especially since you are having a health issue.

I would go back to the urgent care and tell them that your symptoms are continuing if you do not have a regular primary care physician. The medicine might need to be adjusted and/or they might have to try a different medication. They might suggest some tests if they think it could be caused by something else. Not sure I would return to work if I felt dizzy. Driving might not be a good idea.

You sound like you have a lot going on in your personal life, too. This might be the year for an inexpensive artificial tree if a real tree is too much time or work right now. You could get some smaller gifts and still have the trip you were planning at a later time. Sounds like your son is older, so hopefully, he would understand.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Old 12-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Couple ideas:
Sounds you you have a stressful load right now!
Buy yourself a BP unit to take your own at different points in the day. It may be fluctuating a lot.
And have you been eating a lot of salty products lately?-that can spike it too.

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

blood pressure
Old 12-18-2019, 03:57 PM

Did they do an EKG at urgent care? You need to be evaluated pronto!! There is a reason your blood pressure is off. Please Please Take care of yourself...Christmas is more than presents or trees. Your students will be their after vacation. Keep us updated we do care.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Blood Pressure
Old 12-18-2019, 04:00 PM

It sounds like your stress level is crazy high. I would let your doctor know (or go back to the urgent care, as they have record of your last visit) your latest BP reading, as the Lysinopril dosage may need to be adjusted for a while. Call in sick, take the day to settle, accomplish some Christmas stuff, and possibly see your Dr for a current BP check. Breathe! NO GUILT!

I am currently on Lysinopil. Dr first put me on the type with a diuretic until BP was down and managed. It is an easy med with few side effects.
Keep us posted so we know that you are ok.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 12-18-2019, 04:04 PM

Please take care of yourself!
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

tatapatch

Hbp
Old 12-18-2019, 04:09 PM

So, I've kind of had the same problem. My bp started going up. Dr. put me on meds, which worked great for a year. The next time I went back to the dr it was high and he increased my dosage. It worked great for another couple of months, then it all of a sudden went up again and I had to increase dosage again. I had the same dizzy feeling as you're talking about.

Really, take the day off. You need to rest and try to destress (though, I know that it's impossible b/c I've been there). I got a bp cuff to check my bp and my dr. had me check it 2 or 3 times per day and let him know how it was.. something you might want to try.

In the meantime, avoid caffeine (hahaha, impossible if you're a teacher), and watch what you eat!
tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Sending you a hug
Old 12-18-2019, 04:47 PM

I hope you feel better soon. Different meds work for different people so maybe you need a different medication or maybe the one you started just needs more time to work well for you.

I think you should take tomorrow off and talk to the nurse about how you are still feeling dizzy and blood pressure is high.

As for Christmas. I would skip preparing a big meal. Make something simple, order Chinese take out or buy a meal package at a local store or restaurant to make it easy on yourself.

I don't know if you shop online but Amazon can still deliver some items before next Wednesday. I would just get each person on your list one present to let them know you are thinking about them. And that is only if you feel like it. I am sure everyone will understand since you are not feeling well.

Maybe you and your son can go see a movie on Christmas day together and then go look at Christmas lights in different neighborhoods. You might also play a board game at home together or work on a holiday puzzle. It can still be a good holiday. But I am sorry your trip is not happening this year. Maybe in 2020.

Taking care of your health is very important.

I hope you will do something relaxing for your birthday. Maybe a mani/pedi or a facial. Happy birthday to you!

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 12-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Iím sorry things are so overwhelming right now. I do think you need more medical advice, but what helped me lower my bp by 30 points was drinking tons of water, drastically limiting salt and exercising more. It took about 2 months, but I lost 10 pounds and that helped too. Good luck and try to stay calm...stress is so bad for us.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-18-2019, 05:24 PM

Take tomorrow off. Either go back to the same urgent care or call your primary and insist on being seen by someone in the practice.

No every blood pressure med works on everyone. And sometimes you need a combination two to get good control. You need to see a doctor.

Get a blood pressure monitor at the drugstore (or Wal-Mart or wherever near you that sells them ). You will want to check your pressure to be sure the meds are working, and once they do, you will want to check periodically to be sure they are still working.

Take care of yourself. Your class will be fine. You don't need presents to do Christmas.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 12-18-2019, 05:46 PM

As others have said, you have a lot going on and that can affect blood pressure. That being said, if you are having actual symptoms I think you should go to Urgent Care to be evaluated. I have high BP which is consoled with a mild dosage of Lisinopril and never had any symptoms.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

so touched
Old 12-18-2019, 07:30 PM

I am so touched by the wonderful and thoughtful responses. I got a BP cuff for home to monitor my blood pressure and I have an appointment on Saturday. If I continue to have dizziness or the headache comes back- straight to the ER! I am going to do my best to go the Amazon route and remember that Christmas is not about gifts
Decided to stay home tomorrow since I definitely don't feel myself. I needed the perspective- so thank you ALL!!
illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-18-2019, 07:59 PM

I know this is late, just wanted to say
Quote:
feel awful about abandoning my students.
You aren't abandoning your students, you are taking care of yourself. They are not the same thing.

Take it easy. Glad you decided to take the day off. Sometimes we just need to do that.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 12-18-2019, 08:27 PM

I am sorry you are dealing with this. It is even worse when you are stressed. I had a similar thing happened to me. I went to the doctor for a regular appointment and my BP was 175/90. She told me to have my school nurse take it throughout the next couple days. It got to 180/100. I went straight to the doctor after school. It got as high as 200/120. They said I would either go to the hospital or go on meds. They put me on Norvasc. I was allergic to it and got a terrible rash. So here I am with uncontrollable BP and a rash that itched. I truly thought I was losing my mind. Then I went on metoprolol and have been on it for 20 years. The doctor says I could try one that is time released (I take 2 in am and 1 in pm) but Iím afraid to try. I am not writing this to scare you but to give info. Please donít mess with high BP. I am now on anxiety meds. as well. PM me if you have questions. Keep us updated.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-18-2019, 08:34 PM

I was also going to suggest a water pill. It does help lower blood pressure and has few side effects (peeing a lot the first few days but then your body gets used to it). Your stress level is very high and this may have a lot to do with it, especially if you have been stressed for awhile or tend to stress out easily over things. Dizziness and feeling unwell are also symptoms of anxiety. Do you have a primary care doctor? I would get it checked out ASAP and be sure to mention your stress to the doctor.

(((HUGS)))

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 12-19-2019, 05:40 AM

I used to be on BP meds. Lisinopril was not great for me in controlling my blood pressure and it caused me to have a horrible cough all the time. I was switched to amlodipine and that worked better. I was able to go off it by exercising more and losing some weight. So just be aware there are other meds you can try.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

dakota_blue5

Old 12-19-2019, 05:53 AM

My BP was 190/120 when I went in for a completely different matter. She put me on lisinopril and had me keep an eye on my bp. It was still high when I went back for a follow up--not dangerously high, but higher than it should be. She added hydrochlorothyazide (sp) which is a water pill. It usually does the trick by itself. I keep an eye on it, and if it starts edging up I take a lisinopril. My BP is now usually 106/60 or so and that's pretty consistent. It took a few weeks to get it regulated, though.
dakota_blue5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-19-2019, 09:06 AM

I also had trouble with Lisinopril with a cough and just a general "don't feel quite right" feeling and was switched to Amlodipine which gives me no side effects at all. It's okay to try different meds. I had to switch to decaf coffee and watch salt.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Forget about everything else
Old 12-19-2019, 02:18 PM

And take care of your blood pressure. There is a reason high blood pressure is called the silent killer.

Last year one of my adult students, a lovely 41 year old woman who had no bad health habits and whose weight was perfect, had a stroke due to high blood pressure, and died one day later. It turned out she had recently been diagnosed with very high blood pressure but hadn't yet started any medication. Her family and friends were shocked and devastated. It was incredibly sad.

Please make your health a priority.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote