Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

is mansplaining really a thing?

>

Hifiman

is mansplaining really a thing?
Old 12-21-2019, 06:12 PM

I was listening to an interview of Seth Meyers and part of the discussion was about mansplaining. Basically defining what it was. I thought that it's likely that applied to me at times, but really, is it a man thing? I don't think so at all. Some people just do it because that's who they are. I don't think the idea is limited to men at all.

I won't get into another term that had its day as a hot topic in recent years (and came up often enough here on PT) because it gets too explosive I think. But I'll just say that I think we're in an age where everything has to be a thing, if that makes any sense.

Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Mansplaining
Old 12-21-2019, 06:45 PM

My DH and I were just discussing this at breakfast. Every perceived “itch” becomes a thing. Trying to figure out why?? Are people too thin skinned? Looking for attention?

Half of these issues, mansplaining included, would never have gotten to the “thing stage” if enough people would just say “you’re an idiot...stop talking now.”

Not saying there aren’t some legitimate issues out there...but every time someone frosts you’re cookies it doesn’t need to become World War Z.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 12-21-2019, 07:12 PM

I agree with both of you. I blame irresponsible/immature social media use for a lot of it. So many people feel the need (or feel entitled) to post whatever thoughts or emotions they are having at the moment about any and every topic, and then other people get offended, and their reaction only creates more problems.

I had to look up mansplaining, and I agree, anyone could do that!
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-21-2019, 08:01 PM

If I recall correctly, the term came about when men would explain a woman's experience to her as though she were not the one who had experienced it or explained a concept to a woman who was actually an equal or senior in expertise to him.

It has since devolved into any time a man explains something to a woman.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Gromit
Old 12-21-2019, 08:53 PM

That makes sense to me. Not the current thing.

cvt

Gromit
Old 12-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Thank you, Gromit, for explaining it so well! Before it even had a name, this was a thing, and it was exactly what Gromit said. I have female friends who are professionals in a variety of fields who have experienced this phenomenon for years. My cousin who is an astrophysicist deals with mansplaining on a regular basis, because of course women can't possibly know as much about the field as men who may have taken an introductory astronomy class in college.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Mansplaining is basically when a man
Old 12-22-2019, 05:30 AM

assumes a woman knows way less about a topic than he does, specifically it was coined to describe men who believe they have a better take on FEMINISM than women do. After listening to man after man after man try to tell us how we were or were not being good Feminists, what Feminism really mean, how to think like a Feminist, blah, blah, blah, some brilliant woman somewhere invented the term.

It has been extended to refer to men who believe their knowledge and experience about EVERYTHING is always superior to that of a female. I remember reading about a man who was going on and on explaining to a female AUTHOR what HER BOOK really was saying (some science field) because he did not even realize he was speaking to the author. (He was wrong, BTW.)

Quote:
I thought that it's likely that applied to me at times, but really, is it a man thing? I don't think so at all. Some people just do it because that's who they are. I don't think the idea is limited to men at all.
Perfect example there. Thank you.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 12-22-2019, 05:38 AM

I saw a meme that said the hymn Mary, Did You Know? is mansplaining the Savior to the Mother of God or something like that. Do a search for Mary, did You Know mansplaining memes.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Clarity, I'm confused
Old 12-22-2019, 05:57 AM

What do you mean by example?

Clarity

I mean your explanation that you
Old 12-22-2019, 07:18 AM

believe mansplaining applies to everyone. No, it does not. The term was coined specifically to describe what men have been doing and continue to do throughout eternity, i.e., define what it means to be a female, how it feels to be female, how a true Feminist should think, walk, talk, act, or understand her own reality. I especially LOVE when men define themselves as Feminists, then try to take over and mansplain to women how to be better or true or real Feminists.

Not saying you do that specific thing regarding Feminism, but I just got a kick out of your setting out to redefine what it is when you clearly do not have a basic understanding of the history of the word or when and how it is used. When a female knows more about a topic then a man, if they DARE claim seniority in that respect, or god forbid, correct a misapprehension, that woman is immediately labeled as an aggressive, know-it-all bitch. This is why women have traditionally suffered in the male corporate structure and on down through the various levels of society. And why we are STILL asking the question about female politicians - IS SHE LIKEABLE? Not, is she knowledgeable, experienced, tough, decisive, a good leader, able to think on her feet - all qualities lauded in a male. No, it's all about "Is she likeable," which really means, "Is she docile, pretty, hot-looking, agreeable at all times, sweet, pliable, submissive, and careful not to show her intelligence or threaten the men with her confidence."

Hifiman

Wow, Clarity.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:21 AM

I must’ve hit a sore spot. In my original post you assume that the definition I heard during the interview was the same definition you explained. It most definitely was not. It was in fact something entirely different from what you wrote about, which interestingly enough seems to show how the definition has morphed over time.

Clarity

Hifiman, a sore spot? No, more like an
Old 12-22-2019, 04:47 PM

open wound, into which salt has been poured and rubbed in on a regular basis (read lifetime).

How can mansplaining have a new definition? I find that hilarious. It is not up for debate. We women know what it is. We have had to live through it at some level every waking moment of our lives. By virtue of the genesis and accepted definition of the word, it would be rather impossible for a female to mansplain. But language, like everything else, ends up getting co-opted to serve the needs of whoever is using it.

I'm sure you would never mansplain, Hifiman.