Help

National Board Certification

Instructional Context Form Comp 4

>

RastaEmpress

Instructional Context Form Comp 4
Old 12-27-2019, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can I have some feedback please on the Inst. Context Form. Thank you.
3. Describe why the selected assessments are appropriate for the students and the unit objectives.
[ ]
[The selected assessments are appropriate for the students and the unit objectives because the assessments were aligned with the goals and expected outcomes of the unit of instruction as outlined in the state’s Standard Course of Study. The Formative Assessment was not punitive and consisted of 10 questions designed to reveal students’ current levels of understanding about the core content from the unit and inform my teaching simultaneously. The format of the Formative Assessment also helped students grow as learners by actively encouraging them to self-assess their own skills and knowledge retention. The Summative Assessment consisted of 10 multiple-choice questions and 2 written-response questions that was designed to indicate students’ growth over the course of the unit and where students fall academically after instruction by measuring their mastery of the entire unit content.]

RastaEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-27-2019, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
The format of the Formative Assessment also helped students grow as learners by actively encouraging them to self-assess their own skills and knowledge retention.
Did you combine the FA with the SSA?

Quote:
because the assessments were aligned with the goals and expected outcomes of the unit of instruction as outlined in the state’s Standard Course of Study.
How does this make it appropriate for your students? And, as below, I aligned not some invisible person who aligned them. It was YOU, so say so.

Quote:
The Summative Assessment consisted of 10 multiple-choice questions and 2 written-response questions that was designed to indicate students’ growth
I designed. Don't make yourself invisible. YOU did it, so put your work front and center.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

RastaEmpress

Old 12-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks Zia. I wrote about the FA and SA together because the prompt says-...... why the selected assessments are appropriate for the students and the unit objectives. Still confuse.
Can you (or anyone) help me with a few sentence starters of how you would address the question.
Thanks.

Zia

Old 12-27-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What I did: I broke the FA, SSA, and FA apart when describing. The SSA often gets shorted. It is important, so give it its due.

The key though: why is this assessment (all 3 of them) appropriate to your students? The fact it goes with state standards...meh. Yeah, I know we are beholden to them, but honestly, we all know sometimes the standards aren't appropriate to our students. We have to Vygotsky our kids which, sometimes, means ignoring the state standards.

NBs wants us to design instruction and assessments for our specific populations, not our state standards. It is true teaching. What do your kids NEED? How do you know they need X?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

RastaEmpress

Old 12-27-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks Zia.
I did okay on components 1 and 2. Now I am trying comp 3 and 4 and it's kicking my butt especially comp 4.

clucerorobles

Clarity
Old 12-27-2019, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This helps with clarity! Thank you, Zia for posting.
Best to all,
Carmen
clucerorobles is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 12-27-2019, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got a 4.0 on C4, and know for sure it was because I completely separated each part. My SN was with one group of students and working with one group of fellow teachers. My PLN was with another group of students working with another group of teachers. And my formative/summative assessment data was with yet another group of students and teachers. I tried keeping them tied together for a couple of months because I thought it would be easier, but all it did was make it harder for me.

It's completely dependent on you, though. Your needs, your students' needs, and your fellow teachers' needs for growth.

IMO, it's a ridiculously stupid component. Feels like 3 components all shoved together as a catch-all, and even though I don't think the people who created it were trying to obfuscate anything, every rational adult I've show it to ends up rolling their eyes, and I'm talking about lawyers and doctors who have much more rigorous standards they need to meet to become professionally credentialed. Crazies on here will try saying NBPTS is the same, but it's not; it's a huge money grab for a few CEO types who figured out a way to monetize public education....really not a lot different from the small handful of people who make millions off of selling state assessments like the new fad that caught on nationally, common core. common core is dying, but some other vampire org will take their place soon enough.
WhyHello is online now   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 12-28-2019, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

IMO, if EOGs survive, there will always be someone making money on standards, or curriculum, or materials. EOGs drive instruction, and teachers get fired or punished for bad results. And instruction is not about what the students really need in their future careers/life but the skills they need to bubble in the correct a,b,c on the EOG. Everyone wants differentiated instruction, but the SAME measure of learning, the EOGs!!!
As for the NB, I agree it's very confusing. However, I feel I have worked harder for it than for my masters, and it made me a better teacher in the process. The money invested are going to bring more money in the paycheck, so I am okay with paying it one time. I just hope I'll certify, I don't know how I would do better than now...
minnie2019 is online now   Reply With Quote