Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

goodreads

>

Sbkangas5

goodreads
Old 01-04-2020, 05:30 PM

Any goodreads users on here? I want to track what I read, because I often forget if I've read a book or not (or if I liked it or not). So I added all of the library books I've read in the past two years (234!), but am wondering if there are other things it is good for.

I also noticed that a book that has not even been finished yet (part of a series) has been rated by almost 300 people and has over 31 reviews. What's up with that?

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Goodreads
Old 01-04-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
but am wondering if there are other things it is good for.
I also like it to keep track of the books I read. However, I use it most for recommendations! After I rate a book, it gives you recommendations. I usually consult those when I am at the library trying to find a book to read next!

Quote:
I also noticed that a book that has not even been finished yet (part of a series) has been rated by almost 300 people and has over 31 reviews. What's up with that?
I'm not sure...my only thought is that maybe if it's not out yet, some people are like movie critics, where they get the book ahead of time. You know how movie critics see movies ahead of time? (at least I think they do?) Maybe it's the same type of thing.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 01-04-2020, 06:08 PM

Publishers often send out advanced reader copies (ARC) for that very purpose-to garner attention and reviews. I see a lot of reviews that mention they received a free ARC.

I use it to track how many books Iíve read in a year.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

I use it
Old 01-04-2020, 06:12 PM

1. To track what I've read
2. To keep a list of books I want to read.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-04-2020, 06:26 PM

I mainly use it to track my reading. I do the challenge every year, too. I read reviews, but usually after I read a book because too many people put spoilers in their reviews.

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-05-2020, 07:06 AM

I find that Goodreads is most valuable to me in selecting what I want to read. Their "Recommendations" feature is of somewhat limited value to me but their "Choice Awards" have led me to some very good books that I may have otherwise overlooked. I also appreciate their "New Releases" feature which is great for letting me know if there's a new book out by a favorite writer or in a favorite series. I, too, usually only read the reviews after I've read the book but if I'm reading a book that's a slow start for me, I may read some reviews to decide whether I want to persist or not.

The "Want to Read" feature is helpful too because it allows me to consolidate recommendations in one place so I don't forget them. I've put PT recommendations on that list. If I hear an interview with an author that intrigues me, I can put it on that list.

And yes, it's very helpful in tracking what I've already read so I don't inadvertantly end up with a book in a series that I've already read or a book by a writer that I belatedly recall that I didn't especially care for.

I also do the reading challenge. I find that it's most helpful in making me continue on with challenging reads so that I don't get too far behind my goal.

ETA: I'm not completely sure about this,, but I think that people who regularly review books on Goodreads and whose reviews get a lot of likes and comments often get ARCs. I get one once in a while but, for me, it's through Prime Reading.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote