Help

Special Education

Can a parent refuse me as a teacher?

>

checkerjane

Can a parent refuse me as a teacher?
Old 12-22-2019, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just asking because the parents of my non-verbal autistic violent kiddo are now threatening to bring in an advocate saying I’m not qualified to teach their child. Granted, I heard that through the grapevine, so IDK the accuracy of it. I’m the one sped teacher for PreK-3rd, so there’s that.

In all honesty, I’m not qualified. I’m mild/moderate, not severe and profound.

checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 12-22-2019, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hhmmm... I really don't know. If I were in your shoes I'd turn that meeting over to admin and let them deal with it.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-23-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not so much you as a teacher, but they certainly could sue and easily win if the district refuses to put the child in the proper placement (i.e. in a specialized Autism program).

It's a little trickier if parents are adamant their child can be successful in a mild/moderate setting with the appropriate teacher. Is there another teacher on staff that for whatever reason they think would do better? Has some sort of specialized training they want?

That would end up being an admin decision and I honestly wouldn't get involved. We do sometimes take on students from different grade levels at my school. This year due to a complicated situation that I won't write a novel here about, I was asked to take an older student who was academically more at the level of my students, even though another sped teacher covers his grade levels. Last year I had about 3x as many students as the other sped teacher (again, long story) and she ended up taking on one of the needier behavior students in one of "my" grade levels simply because she had the time to devote to him.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-23-2019, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would leave the entire thing (even the thinking about it) to your admin. Let them deal with what they get paid to deal with, although if I were you, I would still be talking about the fact your program is not for dealing with this type of child.

Only one time as a parent was I prepare to go to battle over a teacher I did not want my child to have, and my prayers were answered because they moved her to a different position the year my dd was in her grade. I was prepared to home school for a year if she got her.

But not the same as your situation at all.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 12-23-2019, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here the answer is yes. They cannot request a teacher, but the state does say that they can refuse a teacher. Now, I donít know how that would work in a situation where there is only one teacher.

seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

essence253

Parent Refusal
Old 12-23-2019, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with everyone else, let the P deal with it. Your job is to teach who is in the room.
My third year teaching I had a parent ask for tlhis child to be moved when he found out my race. He would have know had he come to out open house. I was called a meeting with the P, AP, and parent, where he told us all that he wanted a white teacher for his son. My P initially refuesd because we were will into the school year, but I did not fight it at all. The child was moved that day and life moved on. I did feel bad for the child though, because he was separated from his best friend and didn't have any in the other class. This was a regular ed 6th grade class in an elementary setting. And there were only 2 classes.
essence253 is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-23-2019, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If a parent said that the child needs a teacher with certain credentials of training that you do do have, that would certainly be considered. If it's a matter of saying they don't want YOU, that's a totally different issue.

And I can't imagine a parent saying they wanted a teacher change because of race and having the request granted. Wow, essence. On the other hand, life may have been much less stressful without having to deal with that parent.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-26-2019, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Seriously? Thatís the best thing that could ever happen to you. Let that whole mess be someone elseís problem. If I were you Iíd hope and pray they do that!!!

And let admin deal with that mess. Not your circus, not your monkeys. Youíre going to stress yourself into a heart attack if you donít let some of this stuff go.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 12-27-2019, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Seriously? Thatís the best thing that could ever happen to you. Let that whole mess be someone elseís problem. If I were you Iíd hope and pray they do that!!!

And let admin deal with that mess. Not your circus, not your monkeys. Youíre going to stress yourself into a heart attack if you donít let some of this stuff go
This would seriously be the luckiest day of my life if this #### show was thrown in someone elseís lap.
Msd2

Msd2

Old 12-28-2019, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you are not qualified they are taking the right action. Flip the scenario. If you were the parent and had to settle for an unqualified teacher because that is all the school or district would provide wouldn't you be bringing in a lawyer? This isn't personal if you are not qualified.

The law is clear. The child with a disability is entitled to what is needed, not just what the district is willing to provide.

clucerorobles

Old 12-29-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Depending on district and/or state, level the school is out of compliance. Must be credentialed to teach Mod/Severe if student has the eligibility.
clucerorobles is offline   Reply With Quote

clucerorobles

Lawsuits
Old 12-29-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree! Do not put yourself in that position because with advocates and and lawyers, parents will succeed if their child has been denied the right placement! And classroom !Good luck

Last edited by clucerorobles; 12-29-2019 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
clucerorobles is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 12-29-2019, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
If you are not qualified they are taking the right action. Flip the scenario. If you were the parent and had to settle for an unqualified teacher because that is all the school or district would provide wouldn't you be bringing in a lawyer? This isn't personal if you are not qualified.

The law is clear. The child with a disability is entitled to what is needed, not just what the district is willing to provide.
I have zero problem with the parents taking this step. The drama and stress that will be caused by it is unsettling to me, but I understand the reasoning of the parents. I admitted in my OP that I’m not qualified to teach this kiddo.
mds2

mds2

Old 12-30-2019, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was just answering your question in your subject.

Unless your school has labeled the student inappropriately in order for you to be able to teach him, the meeting should be simple for you. "Are you qualified to teach severe/profound?" "No." Game over.

Now, if your school and you, if you signed the IEP, has determined he is not severe/profound, the meeting may be a bit more difficult because you either have to defend the school's position that he is mild/moderate or admit you lied. That will be stressful.

I wish you and the student the best. If the district is putting a student in your classroom when you aren't qualified, this is the best thing for you. If you signed off on an IEP or have not called a new IEP meeting on your own to address that he is much more disabled than the IEP indicates, then you may have an issue.

Good luck.

amherstteach

Old 01-07-2020, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm no sure how your state works, but we have to categories: Mild/moderate and Moderate/Intensive. Because both categories have the word Moderate in them our licenses are often used for either category because they can claim that the kids in the moderate/intensive class are just moderate.
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lmc762

Old 01-27-2020, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would let admin deal with that one.
Lmc762 is online now   Reply With Quote