The VENT

Report card comments

>

Desert rose

Desert rose

Report card comments
Old 01-07-2020, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sort of a vent. Report cards go out tomorrow. My P stopped in after school. He told me he thought my comments were to negative and needed to be more positive. I have 28 students. On about 22 I put something to the effect of “______ has done really well 2nd quarter. Keep up the great work!” On about 5 of them I put something along the line of “____ has good grades, but he/ she needs to work on listening skills and completing work on time. I have faith he/she can improve in this area.”

We use a gradebook program that gives us limited space for comments. (Use to sandwich comments as positive/negative/positive.) I want the comments to match the “N” given in behavior areas, respect for others and effort. I don’t want next years teacher looking at prior report cards and wondering why I didn’t list behavior issues, etc. in comment area. I was caught off guard. He said to leave it this time. I told him I’d be more careful next time, but honestly, I think my comments were fine. Thoughts?

SassyTeach

Bottom Line
Old 01-08-2020, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

He's wrong; you're right. There is nothing incorrect or negative about what you said, and the parents need to know what the child needs to work on.

From a teacher's POV, I WANT to see these kind of things, because the "fluff" comments do not help me at all when I go back to see how a specific kid did the year prior to mine.

(I was going to go deeper and give examples of why those comments are unhelpful, but my coffee hasn't kicked in, and I'm not fully functional. Sorry!)
SassyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-08-2020, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"but he/ she needs to work on listening skills and completing work on time. I have faith he/she can improve in this area"

The focus of your comments are different than what is done in my district. Typically comments regarding skills needed in the classroom are written as a team effort or as a current process.

"We are working on listening skills and completing work on time. "
or
"He/She is working on listening skills and completing work on time."

They are less of a directive to the student and more of an explanation of what is going on in the classroom.

Your comment says that the child isn't even trying or isn't even working on it. The second and third comment shows that this is an ongoing and current process where the child is part of the process.

Just because a child hasn't been successful and doesn't appear to be trying doesn't mean they aren't trying. Most of what humans do/think is unseeable to others.

Singvogel

P afraid of parents?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ridiculous! Your comments are as positive as possible when trying to stay connected to reality.

It looks like P would be happier if you just lied, and every child is perfect.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-08-2020, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I see nothing wrong with your comments. As a parent, I would want to know if my child needs to work on listening skills and completing work on time. The wording is not harsh. Itís informative.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-08-2020, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Part of me would consider emailing the p with the stats that you wrote here. Is it possible that your p pulled random reports cards and coincidentally pulled all 5 of yours with your more negative comment? BTW, I don't look at it as a negative but an area of improvement.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Slight rewording might do the trick. ___ is making good (or perhaps satisfactory) progress in class. As his listening skills develop, he will do even better.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 01-08-2020, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As a teacher, seeing comments from former teachers is crucial to get a better understanding about why scores/behavior are the way they are.
When I enter comments (that thankfully I can type in however I want to word them), I make sure they're professional & informative. Also, I print and/or screenshot just about everything I do so I can keep record of what I submit. That way, if there are any last minute revisions (made without my knowledge), I can show what I had originally put.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As a teacher I NEVER worry about comments made by a teacher on the last report cards. A new year is a fresh start. I do not want any preconceived notions about a student! Just because they acted one way last year does not mean that student will do the same in a new year. The comments are for the parents. With that being said your comments are fine, I do like PPís idea of a new way to swing it.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 01-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like your comments as they are. I think some of the previous suggestions are just getting into semantics, and if you try to be too positive, the parents might not catch the fact that there is a problem.

bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 01-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Every year is a fresh start and I didn't worry about comments from previous years. But, when a child has a problem, and the parent insists they never did before, those comments can be helpful.

Your comments would be fine here.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote