Reading challenge ... settle this debate? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Reading challenge ... settle this debate?

>

apple annie

Reading challenge ... settle this debate?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:24 PM

Does anyone do the Goodreads Reading Challenge? My goal for 2019 was 28 books. At the first of December I was at 21 and I was determined to make my goal. Got down to Dec 31 and had 27 books. (Admittedly, those last six books were pretty short.) So I listened to a short audio book (2 hours) on Dec 31 to complete my goal. My one son insists this is cheating because itís NOT actual reading. My other son says it counts. This sparked a huge debate! What says you?

On another note, my 2020 challenge is a more reasonable 24 books. And I finished the first one already. Do you do the reading challenge?

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I do not do reading challenges
Old 01-07-2020, 07:45 PM

But I say an audio book counts. It is good for a change. You have to listen with no visual of words. It requires listening comprehension from the brain which is another way to "read". Congratulations on meeting your reading goal.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-07-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Do you do the reading challenge?
No. I read because it feeds my soul. I donít count books, smiles, or right turns. I believe counting books or minutes read encourages people to see reading as a chore. For me reading is pleasure.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 01-07-2020, 07:51 PM

I don't listen to audio books and I say it counts.
You are still getting the literary experience!
Btw, my friend practically only does audio books. I just read, mostly paper and a few electronic books. We had a great discussion on an Edith Wharton novel that I recommended to her, and she had picked up a lot of details and literary patterns that I had either missed or just not noticed

ETA I don't do reading challenges. Just not my thing. It would probably stress me out.
But, whatever makes you happy and accomplished, I say go for it.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 01-07-2020, 08:12 PM

I listen to audiobooks all the time simply because I get to enjoy a book while doing something I probably don't like - dishes, cleaning the bathroom, folding laundry. Also, taking the dog for a walk can be monotonous (she needs to stop and smell every. single, thing.) so a good book solves that problem for me.

And I definitely think audiobooks "count." From my sped teacher perspective, this debate is an ability/privilege issue. Many of my students can't "read" a book for a variety of reasons but thoroughly enjoy/understand and audiobook. I wouldn't tell them it doesn't count. So it also counts for me. (And I'll get off my soapbox now.)

I don't do number of book challenges, because I just love reading. But I do use Goodreads to track the books I've read/want to read... because otherwise I'd forget! And it's interesting to see the stats at the end of the year.

One challenge I do like is the Read Harder challenge from Book Riot. There aren't any points to keep score, just suggestions of different formats, genres, etc to try something different. I don't always finish, but I love reading something I wouldn't have necessarily picked up and being surprised. (Also, a plug for their podcast Get Booked, which is a weekly recommendation show.)

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-07-2020, 08:31 PM

Part 2: I got so excited being obnoxious about counting books that I forgot to say I wholeheartedly believe listening to books is just another way to read them. I listen to books every day as I walk. I read print, too. I consume books and I hope they make me a better person (even if I am judgmental about counting).

GreenBunny

Old 01-07-2020, 08:38 PM

I would count an audio book but it's your list, your rules.

I read an interesting article recently about audio books. Oddly, the article discusses two books that were completely split in my Book Club and the split was along the lines of who had listened to it and who had read it. The readers disliked them intensely, the listeners loved them.

I don't do reading challenges although I like the idea of Read Harder challenges. I might do that one.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-07-2020, 08:40 PM

I do the reading challenge. I really use Goodreads mostly for tracking my books. I love to read, and now that I'm retired, I can read a lot more! Last year I read 55 books (goal was 50). I enjoy seeing my progress.

And I do believe that audiobooks count, even though i don't care for them personally.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 PM

Absolutely counts! You are receiving the content from the author, you have read the book. Literally the only time listening to a book doesn't count as reading is in early elementary school when learning foundational decoding skills.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 01-07-2020, 09:21 PM

I think it counts!

I don't do reading challenges, or join book clubs. I find I put a lot of pressure on myself and it becomes a high stress activity, rather than a fun challenge. This is entirely my issue, but I know friends wonder why an avid reader (which I am) is so resistant to the idea of book club or challenge. The problem is, the minute I feel somebody is telling me what to read, however gently, I'm right back in high school with Mrs Pitts at the front of the room and that's not a place I ever want to be.

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Old 01-08-2020, 02:24 AM

Audio books definitely count towards a reading goal! It's just another form of a book.
I don't at this point do a reading challenge but may when I have more time (after retirement). I enjoy setting goals and participating in book discussions/clubs on occasion. I also like tracking books I've read because it gives me a sense of accomplishment and a way to remember them!
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Well
Old 01-08-2020, 02:47 AM

Science has proven that listening to books and reading the book engages the brain the same way, so I say "Yes!" Your brain was affected the same way, so why not count it?

Some science for your nay-saying son!

https://www.discovermagazine.com/min...-doesnt-matter

https://www.thecut.com/2016/08/liste...-cheating.html
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 01-08-2020, 02:48 AM

I think it counts. I personally would not be able to enjoy a book that way because I am such a visual person and have to see the words on the page.

When I memorize lines for a play, I can tell you where on the page certain dialogue is. That is just how my brain works.

If that works for you though then go for it.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 01-08-2020, 05:20 AM

It counts.

I keep track of my books and how many books I read. I enjoy seeing my reading journey over the course of the year and yes, I enjoy a challenge too. There is nothing wrong with it. Normally, my challenges are in categories...read a classic, read a really long book, read a Shakespeare play, etc. I make them up for myself because I find it fun. I don't always make my goals but I like seeing the baby steps I have done.

Challenges are one of the things that keep me motivated with something I want to do. Hence, my current weight loss, reading, and prayer challenges.
happygirl444 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-08-2020, 05:29 AM

I do a reading challenge and I do count audio books. My view? In my day-to-day life of being a single mom and a teacher, it's super easy to let things that I enjoy and find important (like reading, which I love) to fall by the wayside. If I don't set a reading goal, I don't read as much. Much as Amiga says, reading feeds my soul so I read huge amounts but if I don't set a goal for myself, I don't always read daily.
I used to tell parents to let their kids see them reading because it's so easy for adults to let it slide by the wayside.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

personal preference/choice
Old 01-08-2020, 05:40 AM

Depending upon personal preference, one could choose to count audio books or not! Either way would work, depending upon the individual.

Adjust the reading challenge to fit your own preferences and enjoy!

I've done the reading challenge in previous years, adding my own preferences to the lists.

I guess I like personal and flexible challenges, where I can make the requirements fit my own personal likes and needs.

It would be like making an individual challenge such as a running, biking or walking goal. We can thoroughly partake in and enjoy that activity, no matter the choice, adding our own personal challenge to it!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-08-2020, 06:18 AM

Definitely audiobooks count, and I like challenges.

Giving yourself a challenge doesn't mean you don't like reading or that it can't feed your soul any more than setting out to run a marathon means you don't like running or find it a chore.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 01-08-2020, 07:18 AM

Yes and yes. I did the goodreads challenge for the first time last year because Iíve never tracked my reading seriously except when I did 40 book challenge while I was teaching. I set a goal of 50 as a shot in the dark and surpassed that by July, so I upped my goal in my head. I listen to audiobooks while driving and count them.

Quote:
Giving yourself a challenge doesn't mean you don't like reading or that it can't feed your soul any more than setting out to run a marathon means you don't like running or find it a chore.
Totally agree with this as an adult! I do think itís harder with certain types of students, that reading can become a chore when we make some kids track it this way, but for me a love the challenge and it doesnít diminish my love for books at all. Even when I was 3 books short of 100 last year and really wanted to finish 100 by Dec 31, i still enjoyed it even though I had to really push myself!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-08-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
....but for me a love the challenge and it doesn’t diminish my love for books at all.
Thank you so much, KatieViolet, for understanding what I was trying to say. I don’t care if others like self-imposed challenges, I was trying to say they don’t work for me for reading.

I understand some people want one-size-fits-all or the-final-proclamation, but I was only answering for myself. I thought I’d made that clear, but....
craftygirl2

craftygirl2

It's ok
Old 01-08-2020, 08:36 AM

Posting an opinion on PT isn't their "final proclamation". It's just a post of their own opinion.

GraceKrispy

Old 01-08-2020, 10:34 AM

I say it counts! I don't do reading challenges. I have too many things to keep track of as it is. I like some other challenges though.

But you got me thinking....
I would estimate I read over 50 books in 2019... I usually average more than a book a week (up to 3 or 4).

Like some others, I don't like audio books as much. *How* the person reads it changes how I interpret it. The few I've listened to still stick in my mind and it's the reader's voice I hear, not mine. That being said, I think non fiction audio would be fine!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I would count it.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:18 AM

Since Christmas of 2010, when I got a year's subscription to Audible as a Christmas present (the gift that keeps on giving) , I've collected 346 audible books, some of which I've listened to multiple times.

I read (listen) to my books on the way to work and back.
I listen when I drive cross country, or shorter trips.
I listen when I do house work and yard work.
I even listen while doing mindless school work, such as shelving books, weeding and/or labeling, making library cards, cutting out lamination or laminating, etc.

So, I'd definitely count it. I feel that being able to listen to a book while doing other tasks makes me more productive. And as my eyes deteriorated, I found that either listening or kindle reading was easier on my eyes. And now that I've had my cataract surgery, I still need glasses for reading, so paper books are the worst for me.

I'm not a kid being taught to read, so I don't see a difference.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-08-2020, 01:04 PM

I would not count it. I love Audible, and I often listen to the same book Iím reading as I catch different things. However, I catch different things because a different part of my brain is engaged than if I were reading. I donít count these books toward my Goodreads goal.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-08-2020, 04:08 PM

I think you can count an audio book. It might be cheating if all 28 books were audio books but the way I look at it is that we're adults. We'r not reading books to improve our reading skills (I presume) - we're reading for enjoyment and to expand our knowledge base.

I did the Goodreads Reading Challenge and it didn't make reading feel like a chore because it was my choice to do it and there were no consequences if I didn't complete the challenge. I'm debating about doing the Popsugar Reading Challenge this year because I think it might keep me from getting into a rut about what kinds of books I read.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-08-2020, 05:11 PM

Wow! I’m so surprised at how many people can read so much! I guess I need to get off social media!

My list this year only included the one audio book. The rest were all print. But for me it’s really hard to focus on audio books - especially fiction. My mind wanders and then I suddenly realize I’ve been tuned out for twenty minutes and I have to replay it.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

I count them.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:15 PM

I count them. I have a long commute and I can listen to an extra few books per month that I wouldnít get to otherwise.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-08-2020, 06:33 PM

I'm exactly the same way, apple annie! Same with podcasts unless I'm sewing or knitting. I'm retired, so I can read as much as I want. When I was teaching, I would be too exhausted to read much.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-08-2020, 07:10 PM

Personally, if I were doing a reading challenge I wouldn't count audio books. I see reading and listening as two different things. But I wouldn't tell anyone else that they shouldn't! And with that said, I had never heard of reading challenges until this year but I probably won't. I read a ton, and read for pleasure, and am not one for whom a challenge is motivating.

Greenbunny - thanks for posting that article. I actually tried to read Milkman and couldn't, but have heard that the audio is good. Guess I need to try it!
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote