Help

Special Education

Resource Room Teachers Share Your Routine

>

Snowflake29

Resource Room Teachers Share Your Routine
Old 01-06-2020, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like I can never get enough time to teach everything I need to teach with my students. Iím the only language arts they get so not only am I expected to work on their IEP goals and use an intervention program, but since itís a testing grade Iím expected to expose them to grade level concepts (within reason).

Just looking to see how others organize their schedule to get the most in.

Hereís mine:
10 minute sight word practice with multi sensory flash cards
5 min comprehension warm up
30 min Read Well

5-10 minute editing warm up
30 min writing lesson based on whatever gen ed is doing

Fridays are reserved for progress monitoring individually. While Iím progress monitoring students are on Read Live and the do free writing activities.

When we have no interruptions this schedule works for the most part. But I feel like there is always something: district wide testing, school wide testing, assemblies, field trips, coverage for no subs etc. student from another room is having a meltdown etc.

I wish I had more time!

What is your routine?

Snowflake29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-06-2020, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
But I feel like there is always something:
Isn't this the truth! I feel like compared to most my school does a great job with services, and my admin even makes sure I'm not pulled for things like subbing or severe behaviors. Even so, services are missed due to field trips, assemblies, testing, meetings, etc. It's an incredibly rare week where I see every single group as scheduled every single day.

I am in K-2 this year. I get a lot of pressure to work on grade level comprehension standards as well. Honestly I mostly ignore that. If students can't read, who cares about comprehension? Especially with all the research coming out now that shows comprehension is really just a mix of decoding skills, language skills, and background knowledge, and that teaching "strategies" for comprehension isn't all that effective.

I'm in a low SES school and we do an excellent job of providing phonics based interventions for every student K-3. The students who end up on my caseload have severe difficulties with learning to read in the first place despite significant interventions pre-referral. My P wants me to spend some time doing things like reading grade level text aloud to them and working on the comprehension standard from the gen ed curriculum, or helping scaffold assignments from gen ed curriculum. When my kids need one million exposures to learn the most basic of skills to help them access text in the first place, spending time on listening comprehension seems like a giant waste of time.

The routine I do is different for every group depending on needs and time available. I work very hard on being very structured and keeping pacing quick in my room. My students know what to do (I teach procedures for everything and practice until they are perfect) and I have all materials out and ready to go so that not a second is wasted. This also cuts down on misbehavior because students simply have no time to get off track. Most of my groups are 30 minutes. I do have one 1st grade group that's 40 minutes. Their general routine is:

-Review learning target/success criteria
-Daily routine from our phonemic awareness curriculum, Haggerty
-Letter/picture cards- students say the name, keyword, sound
-Sound deck- the cards have just the lowercase letter on them and students say the sound only
-Letters in sand: Without showing students, I look at the card and say the sound, students draw the lowercase letter in multisensory sand while saying it's name
-Blending routine: Students chorally read words that I am chaining from an alphabet pocket chart. For example, I might first put up "cat" and then change it to "bat" etc. They started with sound by sound blending and are now working on either whispering sounds first or saying the sounds in their head and just reading the whole word. I give a few seconds of think time, point to the word, and then they read it. Usually about 30 words.
-Individual word cards: I give each student a card with one word on it. When I heard them read it correctly, they receive another. They count how many they get at the end. Average is 15-20 per student.
-Phoneme Grapheme Mapping: We say a word together, "tap out" the sounds, students write each sound in it's own box on a grid, write the whole word on the side. When I see everyone has it they chorally spell and read it. 6 words- at the end we go back and read them all again.
-Sight word flashcards- chorally and then individually. I show one child a card at a time, if they say it they can hold on to it, if I have to tell them I get it. As new words are introduced we practice saying/spelling it multiple times, look at which letters play fair/which letters need to be memorized, and use it in a sentence.
-Tactile sight words- I put 5-7 words in big print on papers on the floor- one set for each student. It's a mix of 2-4 words that are newer or more difficult and a few words they've almost mastered. The first time through, I say the word, they find it, trace it with their finger while spelling it out loud, and read it. The second time through, they pick it up and bring it back to the table while spelling/saying it out loud.
-Writing page: 5 dictated sounds, 5 dictated words, 3-4 dictated phrases (sight words and a decodable word, i.e. "and the dog"), 1 dictated sentence
-Reading page: 10 phrases- mix of decodable words in patterns they've learned and sight words. I highlight the sight words yellow and tell them if it's not yellow, they need to sound it out to discourage any guessing. 5-6 sentences structured the same way. We read it chorally, they read in partners (with me reading individually with one student), and if we have time volunteers can choose something to read to the group. I change the page every 2-3 days.
-Review learning target/success criteria, students reflect

Haggerty takes about 5-7 minutes. Most other activities are 2-5 minutes.

In addition to me, students get a minimum of 90 minutes of literacy in gen ed and a minimum of 12-15 small group daily in gen ed. The very lowest students on my caseload get the above, 30-45 minutes in a pull out group with an interventionist, and then 30 minutes with me as well. We meet to make sure we're covering the same skills and explaining things the same way.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 01-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow!! Your routine seems really good!

I think my problem is partly that yes a lot of time is wasted on materials, behaviors. In the moment it doesnít seem like that much wasted time but if you add it all up a lot can be taught in those wasted minutes I definitely need to be better about that.

Itís hard because since Iím the only literacy they get, I feel so much pressure to fit in everything when in reality ... their basic phonemic awareness is probably what needs to be worked on the most so itís hard to find a balance.

caseycat

I have a question...
Old 01-09-2020, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Why are your students not getting literacy in the general education setting also. Resource is supposed to be in addition to the general education curriculum, not in lieu of.
caseycat is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 01-09-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Why are your students not getting literacy in the general education setting also. Resource is supposed to be in addition to the general education curriculum, not in lieu of.
Same question. Our resource teachers, Title I, and ELL teachers take the kids out (or stay in class) during small group/guiding reading time each day. All kids are in the regular ed room for whole group ELA reading/writing lessons. No wonder you have no time!

Last edited by jov; 01-09-2020 at 07:17 PM..
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 01-11-2020, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my school SPED teachers only pull the students out the students for certain parts on the day (depending on the IEP) because all the students have a home room class where they are placed. I call it resource room because itís the easiest comparison to help others understand the dynamics.

If a child has reading goals or is below grade level in reading, they are pulled during the grade level reading class period ...but the expectation is that we integrate whatever gen ed is doing.

We donít really have an intervention block or anything like that...so the only time to pull is when they are doing the same subject in gen ed so the child isnít missing another subject.

Thereís 1-2 sped teacher per grade level.

There are situations where a student is In gen ed and the student just uses accommodations to access the grade level with support. Typically though itís not a sped teacher supporting in class itís a teachers aide.

I wish we had an intervention block reserved for a program so that the other period is free to use to have enough time to teach whatever gen ed is teaching but unfortunately our master schedule just doesnít allow that.

Monkeyflower

my experience with trying to do everything
Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I moved to a new city and district last school year, and took a job as a resource teacher. (Taught in another sped program with a much smaller caseload in my old district). In my new position, I was getting a lot of pressure from several of the teachers to expose students to the general education curriculum, and to essentially do the work of an interventionist. Since I was new at the school I was trying to please everyone and to make a good team player impression. I soon discovered that it was impossible to be an effective intervention and sped teacher all rolled up into one given the size of my caseload.

This year I clarified with my principal what my job is as a resource teacher, and he confirmed what I already knew, which is to focus on what pertains to the IEP. That in itself keeps me plenty busy. I realized that the pressure to do intervention was coming from well-meaning colleagues, and not from the district or my principal, and is has been nice to be able to take one thing off my plate. I've really seen a difference as evident in the data in the growth that my students are making now that my practice is more focused and less mile wide inch deep.
Monkeyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Routine
Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Re Haley I see small groups back to back all day long. I teach to their IEP goals/objectives. I have groups for reading, language arts (reading and writing) and math for grades 2-4. My groups last 20-30 minutes each. I have 1-3 students in each group. Unfortunately, I was told I had to group by grade, not by needs. For example, I have 2 fourth graders in a group at 2 different levels and one has autism while the other has learning disabilities. So I do different things and try to manage helping them back and forth. So one might be reading while I’m checking sight words with the other.
Sorry not much help here, no routine but try to spread out data collection.
I think it’s great to have a routine. Seems like you cover way more than I can. It won’t get better next year either because I heard the principal wants us to do full inclusion. So if I stay I’ll be a glorified para and students won’t get their work at their level any more.
Too bad a lot of us are just a license and not treated as professionals.
I bet you see a lot of progress with all you get done. Way to go!
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote