Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anyone ever broken their foot?

>

hikinghiker

Anyone ever broken their foot?
Old 01-14-2020, 04:59 PM

I've never broken a bone...but I think I either bruised it, got a hairline fracture, or did something else to my foot today. I am in INTENSE pain. I didn't do anything odd to it today and other than my feet being a bit sore while I readjust to standing and waking all day it's been fine.

I got home and took off my shoes and now I can't put any weight on my foot. I can't sit criss-cross (my preferred method of couch sitting) and I can sort of touch my foot without pain, but I can't flex it, stand on it, or touch it to the floor without it hurting. I'd classify it as a lingering sharp pain. It's on pinky side of my foot about a little closer to my ankle than my little toe.

Has anyone ever hurt their foot like this? I'm not sure what to do or if this is a 'normal' pain

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Go to the doctor
Old 01-14-2020, 05:19 PM

tomorrow and get your foot examined. They will probably take X-rays. If the pain is too much go to the ER tonight. I am so sorry you are in pain. Pain is not normal. It is a sign to let you know there is a problem.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 01-14-2020, 05:26 PM

Yes. I've broken a little bone that runs down the outside of the foot. I had to stay off it for a few weeks - it was over 30 years ago so I don't remember exactly. No cast, no wrap, just no weight on it. One little twist of the foot was all it took to break. Go get it checked, and don't even try to put any weight on it until you know for sure.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-14-2020, 05:27 PM

Yup. I broke my left foot dancing in college. We were goofing around and I went to kick up and connected. 6 weeks in a cast.

Last April I broke my left foot went to stand on it after it fell asleep. Hairline fracture and only wore a brave for a few weeks.

I'd definitely get it checked out.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

holycow

Yes
Old 01-14-2020, 05:34 PM

I broke mine on the pinky side close to my ankle. I had to wear a boot for 4 weeks. Go get an X-ray and but ice on it.

holycow is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-14-2020, 06:20 PM

Definitely get X rays! Its obvious that something is wrong. I am sorry you are in so much pain and I hope you can get relief quickly!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Yes. I broke
Old 01-14-2020, 06:21 PM

2 metatarsals in my right foot in 2016. I was smashed into the sand by a very nasty wave and my foot and bottom took all of the energy as they hit first. (I broke my bottom too.) It was extremely painful, very bruised, and extremely swollen. I ended up with a ligament injury as well.

I agree that you should get an X-ray. I wore a boot for 6 weeks. Icing it will help too. Good luck and let us know what they say.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Broken foot
Old 01-14-2020, 07:15 PM

Go to doctor. It could be a broken bone or severe bruise. If you go to a podiatrist, youíll get more details. Could be a neuroma...an aggravation of nerves between toes that feels like all the bones in your foot are broken.

Iíve had two. Several shots to attempt to calm them, then eventual surgery.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 01-14-2020, 08:09 PM

Yup, broke bones in my foot when I walked into a heavy piece of furniture. Sounded like celery crunching when I did it. I grabbed my foot, hopped around, landed on the bed, said a few choice words, and fully expected to see blood when I moved my hand. Nope, no blood. Didn't look misshapen either. Put on my Keen sandals and went about the rest of my day. By nighttime it was bruised and a little swollen. Hurt to walk on it, but not horrible. So I ignored it for 3 weeks. When I still couldn't walk on it without a limp or put a regular shoes on, I finally went to the doctor for an x-ray. Sure enough it was at that time a healing fracture. Nothing to be done with it.

A dozen years later I can tell you when it's going to rain or snow with greater accuracy than the meteorologist.

In short, go get it x-rayed. It you can't bear weight, something is wrong.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

I did...
Old 01-15-2020, 04:06 AM

...just about where you describe the pain. I thought it was a sprain when I did it as I have a history of sprains. I had broken a bone and damaged the ligament.

Get an X-ray, please! It will at least put your mind at ease. It doesnít necessarily mean a cast.

sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Foot
Old 01-15-2020, 06:17 AM

Yes, I had a stress fracture in my right foot a few years ago. I suddenly had pain and could not put weight on my foot. Went to the podiatrist and x-rays showed a stress fracture. I have NO idea how it happened! Doctor said stress fractures can come from all kinds of reasons.

I had a boot for about 6 weeks and it's fine now. I recommend seeing a podiatrist...feet is all they do!
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Update
Old 01-15-2020, 07:13 AM

Still no bruising or swelling that I can tell. It felt a tiny bit better this morning, and I figured out that I can hobble around if I just keep pressure on my heel. I can't put any weight on my flat foot though or my tippy toes so I look like a haggard troll walking around the school this morning Especially since I forgot to put on makeup in my hurry to get out the door this morning.

I think if it still hurts by the end of the day, I might go to the doctor. I've never really gone to the doctor before alone (I'm 23 and haven't been in a few years) and I'm always worried that they're going to think I'm a hypochondriac or something and think that I'm overexaggerating….I also don't want to be weighed on their scale

Thank you for all your advice too, I didn't know that it was so easy to break your foot!

g8rFan

Get it checked
Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 AM

Don't worry about going to the doctor! You are experiencing pain that isn't normal. Honestly, it sounds just like my stress fracture. I hobbled around for a week thinking it would just go away. If anything, I was making it worse.

Google in foot stress fracture. Find a podiatrist on your plan and go!! If it's not a stress fracture, a podiatrist will be better able to diagnose you.
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

i had a stress fracture...
Old 01-15-2020, 09:06 AM

When I was near the end of training for my first half marathon, I got out of bed the morning after my long run and could not put any weight on my foot. There was no swelling or black and blue mark, but a lot of pain. I tried icing and rest during the week, but I was still hobbling. I couldn't elevate on the foot or hop, some things I had read were indicative of a stress fracture. I made an appointment with an ortho. He did an exam and X-rays, and then got approval for an MRI to confirm his suspicions. I had a tibial stress fracture. Interestingly the pain did stop shortly thereafter. I was so glad i got diagnosed so I didn't resume my regular physical activities. My advice would be to get it checked out.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

It's feeling better
Old 01-16-2020, 07:03 AM

Didn't get a chance to go to doctors yesterday since I couldn't find someone with my insurance quickly enough. Last night though it started feeling better to where I could limp while putting some weight on the foot. It feels a lot better when I'm barefoot and I'm able to carefully walk while barefoot, though I do sometimes feel an off sensation in my foot when I do that like a very mild popping or shifting or something.

It's a little more difficult to walk in shoes and I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing? If it keeps it up with the feeling better today, I might wait until the weekend to see if it still hurts