Holiday Season Classroom Display Contest Entries

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Holiday Season Classroom Display Contest Entries
Old 11-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here are all the wonderful entries from our 2013 Holiday Season Classroom Display Contest. Thanks to everyone who shared their creative ideas!

Who Dat

Gingerbread Door
Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My students had to take home their gingerbread family and decorate it with their family. Each gingerbread person was decorated with things that were liked by that person. My kids did a wonderful job and it was their first "family" project. The students then had to present their gingerbread family to the class telling us why the items on the gingerbread were used for decorating. The gumdrops, snowflakes, and candy canes, were also made by students.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

GiantSubs

Falling for God's word
Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach in a private Christian school, and we support a mission project called Camp Hope. My students write devotionals, which are then published in a book and given to the 350+ children who are part of this organization, which teaches leadership skills and Christian foundation to children who have one or both parents incarcerated. For my November bulletin board, I took the children's devotionals, typed them, and added a fall leaf border to each. I then mounted them on different colored pieces of paper to create a very fall themed board. The devotions themselves are three paragraph essays about a time when that child needed to have faith and believe that God has a plan, even when it may not seem like it. The children we write these devotional books for have seen their share of hard times that my students will never really understand, but they pour their hearts and souls into this project! I have three bulletin boards worth of this work, one for each section I teach, and all three have different borders and different leaf frames on the papers themselves.

Next to one board is our Thankful tree. Each student wrote a Bible verse they were thankful for on a leaf that I designed, and I made a tree from folded bulletin board paper. There is a Bible verse on the tree trunk from John, which talks about how God is the vine and we are the branches, which went perfectly with this theme. I can't upload two pictures and both projects wouldn't fit into one picture that you could see with any clarity, but it all works together!
Attachment

crstinades

iTune Into Learning
Old 11-20-2013, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My class created the iPad of learning by creating apps for each Academic Folder on the iPad screen! The following folders are represented on our class iPad.

1. Introducing our class: each app in the folder contains a picture of the teachers and students that create our class.
2. Social Skills: Each student picked a social skill they are working on and created an app reviewing the skills necessary to carry out their social skill. (Listening, Interrupting, Following Directions)
3. Science: Each student chose their favorite science concept that they have learned and created an app by illustrating what they enjoyed learning about most. (Life Cycle of a Pumpkin, Weather, Solar System)
4. Reading: Each student chose their favorite literacy comprehension skill and illustrated it on an app. (Character, Setting, Prediction)
5. Math: Each student chose their favorite math concept and portrayed a math problem displaying this concept on an app. (Greater Than/Less Than, Tallies, Addition)
6. Books: Each student created an app based on the cover of their favorite book. (Thomas, Sonic, Spongebob)

We utilize iPads into our classroom on a daily basis and the class really enjoyed creating a Class iPad to display the different concepts they have learned in school so far on our classroom door. Our school mascot the Titan is holding a sign stating, "iTune into learning for my future!"
Attachment

jcj123

What?? No Turkey??
Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Testing, testing and more rigor! We wanted to have a little fun and this time of year is just right! I gave my students a task. The task was a cross curricula one which involved art , math, and writing. The students had to camouflage a turkey so it can be spared for Thanksgiving dinner. They had to make sure that Farmer Schmidt wouldn't recognize his turkeys. The children dressed them up using materials they found at home. One of the girls used an American Girl doll outfit . If you look at the turkeys you'll see a cop (who says "Stop right there and Put your wings up" , several doctors, a spy, a football player, and other creative outfits! The students had to first solve a word problem that connected to the scenario. They had to solve the problem ( 7 turkeys had 3 ideas each, 4 were no good, how many ideas did they end up with?) They were expected to show all their work and explain their thinking as described in the rubric provided. After they were all done, they needed to write a paragraph describing Farmer Schmidt's response to his troubling situation. The post its in the pic are my comments and feedback. My students had a BLAST! We don't have enough fun in school and this was awesome.

Attachment

jetpaw

Seasons of Kindergarten
Old 11-23-2013, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The kinders at Euclid School created their idea of what trees would like during the four seasons. They painted their trees and added various materials to make each season unique. They added words to tell about the season. The teachers hung them in the hallway and everyone commented on how the hall looked so cheery bringing the outside into our school.

The K Team at Euclid Elementary School
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Attachment

momteach310

Happy Chanukah!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As part of our poetry unit, my 2nd graders wrote haiku poems on dreidel shapes. They also wrote Chanukah acrostic poems. Since Thanksgiving and Chanukah won't be on the same day until 2070, they also added turkey menorahs to the board!
Attachment

kahluablast

Cultural Celebrations
Old 12-02-2013, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is the main display for a holiday around the world type celebration that students took part in for multiple sessions. Students studied cultural celebrations like Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Bodhi Day, Milad un Nabi and Los Posadas by learning history and traditions with each celebration. They concluded the learning by creating their own art work (samples seen in display) that was displayed in a long hallway on a student quilt which held their six art pieces that went with each holiday.

Attachment

MrsJ

We Wish You a Merry!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

While visions of sugarplums are dancing through their heads, it's important to think of others. So on the stockings that are lining our hallway, the children wrote their wishes for others this holiday season. This simple activity reminded them of the true spirit of the season!
Attachment

♥theColts

O' Come
Old 12-08-2013, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

As you can guess I teach at a Christian elementary school. This time of year, for us, is awaiting the birth of Jesus. I couldn't find any bulletin boards out there to help me. So I started by finding images of the three wise men. I was able to blow those up and trace them onto big poster boards. Then I decided to put different names for Jesus all around the perimeter of the bulletin board. I liked the purple and pink but it still lacked something special. So I went and bought a cheap packet of gold stars and pinned them at the top of the board. Then I decided to add a special star to signify the one that guided the Wise Men to the baby Jesus.

I hesitated to enter this contest because my board isn't a typical festive Christmas type. I changed my mind, however, because it truly is my very favorite bulletin board in 11 years of teaching. I'm happy to share it, and while I know that it is not for everyone, I hope at least a few of you enjoyed it. Merry Christmas!

Attachment

bookbadger

Veterans Day
Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My second graders and I created this bulletin board the first week in November for a hallway display to honor America’s veterans. First, we created the large, whole class VETERANS acrostic poem by brainstorming words that represent a veteran. I created that part of the board by using stencils to make the yellow construction paper letters and glued them to black rectangles; I typed up the words to the poem using the word art tool in Microsoft Word. I also used a die cut to make just a few red construction paper flowers to represent red poppies.
We brainstormed another longer list of words for the kids to use on individual acrostic poems. I used a scroll border and typed vertically down the left side of red, white, and blue paper the three choices for the students’ individual poems: FREEDOM, REMEMBER, or AMERICA. They used a pencil first then traced their poem with black marker. (I edited this photo of their poems to cover up their names). We decorated the board with American eagles that were entirely created by the kids using construction paper tracings and cutouts of their footprints for the body and their handprints for the wings. They added white heads, yellow beaks and feet, and drew feather ruffles and eyes with a black marker.
The kids enjoyed both the writing and the art. It was a great way to bring attention to Veterans Day, and it fit in perfectly with two Scholastic Weekly Readers—one about veterans and another about turkeys—the kids didn’t know that Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be America’s symbolic bird instead of the bald eagle. We all agreed that the eagle is the better choice. In addition to the lessons learned, this board also added a nice variety to the usual November decorations.
Attachment

seproven

Holidays Around The World
Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Christmas is my favorite time of the year! However, because the administration at the school I worked at last year wanted to make sure we did not offend parents and community patrons, we were not allowed to decorate our rooms for the holidays. I decided to turn my love for Christmas into a teaching experience that focused in all-inclusive multicultural celebrations during the winter season, as well as guiding my students in researching the origins of many of our customs and decorations. On a daily basis we added research-based hand-crafted decorations that focused on the country of origin. Our wonderful principal allowed my high readers to go to the office each morning during announcements and share the decoration/custom we would be adding to our display. On our bulletin board, each decoration included an index card explaining the origin, custom or celebration the decoration was used for, and a flag of the country where it originated. Teachers would bring their classes to see the display and looked forward to the new postings daily during the two weeks before our winter break. Our room and bulletin board gleamed with glitter, colorful paper lights, wreaths, paper menorahs, bright parols, cardboard kinaras, paper plate Santas, sparkling stars and paper ornaments atop a popcorn garland clad paper Christmas tree. My students learned about the cultures, religions and foods used during some of these festive customs. We had a culminating banquet the last day before winter break where parents (and myself) cooked foods from the countries we learned about. I know my students learned to appreciate other cultures and customs as much as I did, especially finding out where so many of the things we see during the holiday season originated from.
Attachment

Teach4

Don't be a Grinch - share your similes!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The display outside my door is a combination of premade materials (the Nativity on the door) and student work. For the student work portion, we first read How the Grinch Stole Christmas. After reading the book, we talked about how the character changed from the beginning of the story to the end. The children then wrote similes, a recently learned skill, about the Grinch. We used a general template. It said, "At the beginning of the story, the Grinch was as ____ as a ___. His heart was as ___ as a ___. At the end of the story, the Grinch was as ___ as a ___. His heart was as ____ as a _____. Finally, the students assembled their Grinch. These were made by copying drawings I did onto construction paper. They put their similes on the smiles. The background is chart paper, and I added a premade border. Finally, I added a bit of holiday decoration to my fox, who I change seasonally.
Attachment

Seaglass1212

Winter Bears Sleeping
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our preschool class is learning about hibernation. We read a story each day about all the animals that sleep in the winter. We learned that bears sleep in a cave. We looked at pictures of bears and then we each traced 3 circles - 1 big and 2 small. We cut out the circles and glued the small ones onto the large circle face to make ears. We drew closed eyes and a mouth and glued on a pompom nose. Then we put our bears in our "cave" (our classroom door) and put the words "Shhh...Bears Sleeping" above our cave. We will wake our bears in the spring!
Attachment

trishg1

Math/Science Christmas Combo
Old 12-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This display represents two separate lessons. The tree is created from equilateral traingles. Each student measured and cut out 6 triangles, decorated them, and glued them to white paper. They then had to predict the size of our finished triangle. The snowmen are models of a CO2 molecule on the back (my example pictured) , covered with white paper and decorated on the front. They then had to figure out why I called it carbonation.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Firebelly

A "Minion" Little Christmas!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My students and I made these minions and used them for a Thanksgiving bulletin board (A "Minion" Reasons To Be Thankful!). The first week in December I crunched white paper and made our doorway become a snow fort, and the students made mittens and hats for the minions. The ribbon on the tree says, " Have Yourself A "Minion" Little Christmas!"
Attachment

laurathy

Chill out with a good book!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We made this display for our classroom door. The kids had a great time painting the background with shades of blue and purple paint. They took turns crowding around a big table in the art room. I loved that it was collaborative, and they could just freely paint.
They each designed the snowman to look somewhat like themselves. They love crafting especially when I give them (mostly) free reign with all of my craft supplies. We made little books for each one to hold to show our favorite books. I printed the covers, and they glued them to index cards and decorated the back with their names.
The letters for the title are glittery, but the camera doesn't seem to show it.
I chose a snowman theme because I'm hoping to leave it up for a while!
Attachment

GreenBunny

Peace Instructions
Old 12-13-2013, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

This was the culmination of a Peace unit in my Kindergarten class. After reading many books about Peace and thinking, talking and writing about how to be peaceful in our classroom and our community, I read aloud the book called Somewhere Today: A Book Of Peace by Shelley Moore Thomas. I asked the children to think about how they could tell people how to be peaceful. I taught them how to draw themselves using shapes. They talked to each other about ways to be peaceful and told me their instruction. I printed their thoughts for them to trace in their choice of colour. My favourite cloud says "Plant flowers all over the world so they can collect honey so we can eat on toast".
Attachment

spud93

Catching Snowflakes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

This decorated door display was created for the winter season and includes poetry. The pictures of the children for this display were inspired by a post on the internet. Each of the pictures of the boy and girl are pieced together from individually cut out pieces of construction paper layered on top of each other and glued together on poster board. The snowflakes on the pictures of the children were cut with a snowflake punch and dotted with glitter glue. There is a poem found online included on the display called Catching Snowflakes. Snowflakes, snowflakes, Falling down, Falling all around. Stick out your tongue,
 And catch a ton,
 Before they touch the ground. The snowflakes on the door were cut out of small squares of copy paper. The white snow at the bottom of the door is torn white bulletin board paper. The snowflake hanging at the top of the window was purchased at a dollar store. This display has prompted smiles and discussions with my students about when they tried to catch snowflakes and what they look like while trying to catch them. It would be a fun writing activity about the best way to catch snowflakes.
Attachment

GumboC

Christmas Snow Globes!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

First of all, I couldn't get a pic of the entire display -- it's in a narrow hallway -- so, I took a close up!

The elves with the writing prompt in the pic are a Teachers Pay Teachers thing -- my co-worker got it -- so I'm afraid I can't give credit!

The Snow Globes are really what I want to highlight!

I work in a Kindergarten classroom and one of the things that there just doesn't seem to be a lot of time for is art. And I'm not talking about art where you cut out the pieces and put it together (like the elf). I'm talking about art that you get to use your imagination and fine motor skills to create! Plus, we wanted a display that could stay up through January -- even after all of the holiday stuff comes down.

We gave each Kindergartener a circle of dark blue paper and told them to draw snow on the ground with a white crayon. Then, we provided lots of scraps of construction paper in different colors and let them have at it! The only direction we gave was that there had to be a snowman in it. We discussed that if you couldn't cut out a circle free hand -- you could draw it first, etc. You could tell that a lot of the kids had never got to 'create' something like this before -- with no patterns! When they were finished with their snowman/men, we provided a few gold sequin snowflakes for them to glue on and then had them make their 'snowflakes' with white paint and a pencil eraser. When they were dry, we added the black base and had the kids write their names on them. Then, I dumped in a handful of 'fake snow' you can get at a hobby store and then hot-glued the clear plate to the front.

Ta-dah!
Attachment

Laurasusie

Kindergarten is "Snow" Much Fun!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My kindergarten class did a gingerbread man glyph as a project one day. They were asked questions, such as their favorite snowy activity, if they like gingerbread, etc. Their answers were recorded by the gingerbread mans color of bow tie, color of eyes, color of buttons, and how many stripes (of icing) on the arms and legs.
They also wrote a sentence in a speech bubble. The sentence was "I can run faster than a ____." Each student picked an animal to fill in the blank.
I created the gingerbread house for the gingerbread men to play around. The students comment on the bulletin board every day.
Attachment