Help

Paraprofessionals

Teachers striking

>

tntworth

Teachers striking
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our classified staff went without a contract for 2 years. Our union finally ratified a contract that was not great, but ok. Our teachers have now been negotiating for a year and the two sides are not able to reach an agreement. They are voting as we speak on whether or not to strike. I am in full support of the teachers but our contract states that we cannot cross a picket line or we can be fired.

My questions are, has anyone been in this situation? What do the schools do? (shut down? hire subs?) And how do we support our teachers if we have to cross the line? Any insight would be helpful.

tntworth is offline   Reply With Quote

tntworth

My own reply
Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teachers decided to strike. There is still a chance of more negotiations. What a mess!
tntworth is offline   Reply With Quote

jcar03

Old 04-08-2014, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Typically school is cancelled and the days are made up at the end of the year (like snow days). Normally a strike is the breaking point and the community puts pressure for a resolution. I know it happens that if a strike goes on for a long period of time that subs could be called in but I think its rare. Most subs are certified and are not going to want to cross a picket line plus the pool of subs probably isn't big enough to cover having a rub for every single class.
jcar03 is offline   Reply With Quote