Paraprofessionals

Teaching assistant jobs when single

>

signing out

signing out

Teaching assistant jobs when single
Old 06-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sometimes I feel that the education field is set up for married women who are not dependent on their salary and can mostly depend on their husband's salary to get by. I don't desire to teach in the public school (too much stress), but most other education related jobs are just not suitable if you are a single woman on your own. Teaching assistant in the public school you'll make between $16,000 to $22,000. Who can actually live on that, especially when apartments in your city start at a miniumium between $700/$800 a month. Other jobs such as teaching preschool at daycares at most you'd get $10 an hour. Private schools unless you are the lead teacher, again not enough to live on as a teaching assistant there either. I'd love to stay in the education field, but since I don't want to teach in the public school and be a lead teacher, I may have to leave it unless i ever marry and can "afford" to work as a teaching assistant. I really think its inexcusable to pay anyone a salary that they can't live on especially if you are working full time such as the teaching assistants in the public schools. Probably the only option if you are a single woman is to work as a nanny. Pretty pathetic that affluent families will pay their nannies $15 an hour, yet working at a private preschool/daycare or a teaching assistant you'd never make as much as a nanny.

twin2

Sad, but don't give up
Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand about para pay. I supposedly make $22,000 a year, but have never seen that in actual pay. The school system is counting my benefits as part of my wage. I actually only gross about $16. My wages are sickening, but I do get summers and weekends off. I know I could never support myself on this. My family has suffered in some ways due to my lack of income, but the hours home have been valuable too. I do know of single moms who work as paras and somehow they make it. They make it better than I do by the looks of things. I don't know if they are living on welfare, or child support, or are super frugal. I do know many paras that are single work second jobs.

Personally, I went back to school to get my teaching degree. Its been a long rough road, but I did this for me. I am almost there.

As for working at private schools and day cares, the wages can be so much less and you work so much more. You figure $10/hr x 40 for 52 weeks would be roughly 20,000 a year. Seems to me you would be better off to stay with the public schools and all the perks (for me that is excellent health insurance, excellent schedule and respect from others). You can take the extra time off to babysit or work a second job.

Maybe you would be able to do a personal business. One para I know bakes cakes on the side and gets a lot of business from the people at school. Another para just started baking cookies for parties and such. A friend of my husband's takes every weekend to do his business selling slushies. You could go to the local court house and find out what it takes to have a food business and go to fairs and such in your area to make money. You could take a grill and sell hot dogs. Get a friend involved, or the kids to work it with you. So many things you can do. A friend of mine worked for years at the school then spent summers working at the Y as a counselor for their summer camp. Maybe you could do something like that.

There is nothing wrong with working for day care or private schools. Some have their perks too. My daughter works at a day care. She works long hours and works through the summers. In the winter, when we have no school, she better show up to work herself. I think its awful, but with her discount, she pays only $100 a week for both of her children to be enrolled full time at day care. Some private schools offer free tuition to their children, some offer discounts. If the private school means something to you, say its your church's school, it would be something you might really like to do.

You just have to figure out what works for you. Don't give up. If you find something better, go for it. Otherwise pray about it. Be careful to run figures and think about all the advantages and disadvantages before you jump.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

heartmyjob

It's sad
Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a single public school teacher with a Master's degree and it's still hard! I make enough to live and save but I have to be careful each month.

One of my best friends is also a public school teacher, single mom of two kids. With daycare costs and rent, she has to rely on family members to help with bills sometimes. This sickens me. Anyone who busted their way through college and is helping shape America deserve a decent pay.

I agree, this profession is set up for people with joint income from a spouse.

Can you find something on the side you enjoy doing? Babysitting, etsy crafts, tutoring?
heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sitamoia

Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It amazes me that there is such a range in pay for the same job dependent on where (both school and state/district) you work. Private schools in NZ (and the 5 charter schools recently set up) can pay what they want but generally pay higher than state schools. State schools all have the same pay scale based on number of years you have been teaching as well as whether you have a three, four or five year qualification, an extra unit (such as lead teacher, deputy principal, management unit for sport, ict etc).

You can teach from one end of the country to the other and your pay will be the same. Pay starts at NZ$35, 267 (US$30727) for a beginning teacher and goes up to NZ$73,000 (US$63602) at the top of the pay scale. Units are on top of that.

I wouldn't say the pay is amazing but it is certainly enough for a single person to live on.

Teacher aides on the other hand have pay that is an embarrassment considering the work they do for our kids.
Sitamoia is offline   Reply With Quote
signing out

signing out

Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Its really sad when TAs in public schools make so little that they would need welfare/food stamps just to get by (but welfare is only for families, so a single person wouldn't even qualify). That is pathetic when you consider the work they do. But many of the helping professions don't pay enough for someone to live off of (social workers, health care aides come to mind), and that should be illegal! I could somewhat understand someone working at McDonald's making minimum wage, but not someone who has a part in shaping a child's future and does have an education cause where i live a teaching assistant does have to have at least 48 hours of college hours so its not like they are just a high school graduate. Teaching assistant jobs and a lot of education related jobs (that is not a public school teacher) are not set up for a single person to survive on. I am over 30 and living at home now cause I can't even make rent on jobs like that, which is a big reason I'm considering leaving the field as I need to be independent and on my own! Its pathetic!

twin2

Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree TAs around here make wages low enough to qualify for welfare. I really don't know what else I could do to make any more money.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cookieinbk

Which state
Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Which state do you live in? The pay is significantly higher in NYC.
Cookieinbk is offline   Reply With Quote
signing out

signing out

Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

live in a big city in texas. while salary might be higher in new york, the cost of living would be too expensive to live. i've heard of new york apartments costing several thousand dollars.

Lillybabe

Last Year...
Old 06-29-2014, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last year I worked as a teacher's aide. I have a BA and a MA and after everything was taken out I lived on about $1,600 a month. I would say in many ways I worked harder than the teacher I worked with. I was kicked in the stomach, slapped in the face, had items thrown at my face, chased down a bolting child, etc. The job was horrible. As far as respect, I didn't get that. The teacher I worked with was a first year and was about 4 years younger than I am. She talked down to me and the other aide in her room. She had a functional life skills room. We had four students. Three students with Down's and one with Autism. None of them functioned above a kindergarten level. It was a very hard unrewarding job. Many days I dreaded going to work. I managed to find a place for $435 a month which is the only way I could somewhat afford to live. I qualified for my clinic/hospitals assistance program 100% which meant I was below the poverty line. I think all told I made about $19,880 a year there. That being said even as a full time teacher this year I find it hard to live on what I make. I do however own a car now and rent a much nicer place. It's sad how little teacher's aides make. Many times they do as much as a regular teacher. The only thing I can say is as a teacher's aide I didn't have to bring anything home. In the scheme of things I'm not sure I really make more this year. Many nights I worked on work things from the time I walked in the door until 11 or 12 at night just to turn around and do it again the next day. As a teacher's aide my evenings were mine. At like 3:30 my time was my own. I had lots of free time when I wasn't too exhausted to enjoy it.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

lovingsped

Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I worked as a para pro before becoming a teacher. Most of the para pros (and some teachers) at my school have second and sometimes third jobs. I agree being a para does not a living wage however it is also not a fulltime job (30-35 hours at hour district) with 3-4 month off. My wage is better as a teacher (though it is a very slow climb up the steps) but I put in easily 50 hours a week (for 40 hour wk pay) as well as ending up spending around 100-200 of my money per month on supplies. And then there are the student loans to pay back. If I did not love my job, I would look working in a male dominated field where your pay will be higher.

lovingsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tash2014

I do it....
Old 07-05-2014, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am single, and as a full time ParaEducator.

I work 32.50 hrs a week (in my district 30 hrs or more is full time) and bring home around $1.700.00 a month we have 2 months off in the summer but I work in the summer school program for 4 weeks so I really don't take the entire summer off..but by late July I am ready for my 4 weeks off and enjoy every minute of it!

I get paid around $300.00 a week for the summer and that's only 20 hrs a week =)

I also get excellent benefits; medical, dental & vision..5 personal days, 13 sick days, 10 holidays, floating holidays..the teachers don't even get as much time off as we do and we have a union so I get raises every year..we have a step schedule we follow!

I really can't complain! I am out at 3pm everyday which is great, feel like I have the entire afternoon ahead of me especially in the warm weather months.
Tash2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Well...
Old 07-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When you consider there are many folks out there making much less than that (either making minimum wage, or not getting a full 40 hour week), it looks like quite a bit of money.

My daughter works in retail, makes $9.00 an hour, and most weeks is only scheduled 32 hours per week... you do the math.

She has managed simply because she got an older apartment - not as glamorous and fancy as the newer ones in town, but she can afford it, and it allows her to not have to live at home.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_Again

I fee you
Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I understand where you are coming from. I am a teacher myself and what they pay is way too low to afford to live in NYC. After taxes, paying for rent, bills, I have nothing left. But I love teaching so I survive.
Teach_Again is offline   Reply With Quote

Enseigner

Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

yep it isn't possible to make a living, that is why after one year as a sped assistant I took the CBEST and started subbing. I make soooooo much more now.
Enseigner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Pay
Old 04-17-2015, 12:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Well now that some fast food places have agreed to pay workers $15 an hour with no college education, maybe that would now be a good second job.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote
Charlotte35

Charlotte35

Where do you work?
Old 09-15-2016, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Are you in the NYC area? If so what school? I know this post is late but would love to give this school a try.

Thanks in advance!