>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Fourth Grade Get-Together!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Fourth Grade teachers!

Join us for a back-to-school get-together with other Fourth Grade teachers right here on the Fourth Grade Board.

Tell us: what is special to you about teaching Fourth Grade? Also, feel free to share anything you'd like to share about yourself or your teaching interests. If you're a brand new teacher, let us know that too. Let's see who we have here!

New Members welcome!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One thing I love about teaching 4th grade is that the kids love to learn and love to help! They are still kids! I have also taught 5th which I also love, but there is a definite difference. Most 4th graders love coming to school and learning. They grow so much during the year. They come in so young at the beginning and leave so much more independent. I love seeing that growth every year.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

special about teaching fourth...
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To me, teaching fourth grade is fabulous because the students are curious, eager to learn new things, and sweet. They still love to please and are independent enough to be able to complete just about any project or assignment a teacher is willing to model and work into instruction.
They still love the little things, like pencils and stickers, but can experience humor and responsibility with more appreciation.
Each year my students absolutely amaze me with their academic growth. Just when I think standards are too much/ too high, our kiddos rise to the occasion.

In fourth grade, teaching is just as exciting as learning!
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

I love my 4th Graders!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I so enjoy teaching this age. They are still glad to be at school and learn new things, but yet independent enough to be able to work on assigned tasks without me having to hover. They are developing a sense of humor and will get jokes and play on words. For the most part they are sweet and funny and caring, without all the attitude that come with the older grades. They are the perfect mix of people pleasing behavior and independence. This has really been the grade I enjoy the most!
Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

Old 09-01-2014, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am so glad to read these comments!! I am new to 4th this year, but have over 1/2 my class I had in 3rd.(a small scale looping!!) It sounds as if I will enjoy the level...though I have always considered myself a primary person!!(I had no choice in moving from 2nd to 3rd to 4th) Sounds as if there will be a lot to look forward to this year. Thanks for the positive and encouraging words.

teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 09-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My entire career has been spent at 4th grade. These young people are marvelous human beings! The grow so much academically and socially during their fourth grade year. They come in barely remembering their multiplication facts and leave doing long division!!! I get to introduce them to Kate DiCamillo! 'nuf said!

They care about fairness and worry when a classmate is upset. They are eager to please. They "get" jokes and plays on words. Sometimes you have to explain it, but then they get it. They have a broad range of interests and hobbies. They are curious and will ask a lot of questions. I'm not sure that I'd want to teach any other grade!
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

as others have said, they are more independent than 3rd graders, but not as hormonal as 5th graders, who are the top grade in my school. I must really enjoy this grade since I have been in it for over 2 decades!!
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

twiceblessed

Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love this age group and will fight to stay with them. I enjoy the curriculum, their personalities, sense of humor (They begin to get my jokes.), their independence, and they enjoy learning new things.

I have been teaching for 17 years (grades 2, 3, 5, and middle school LA) and the last 5 have been in 4th grade. They truly are a fun group!

twiceblessed is offline   Reply With Quote

tea:)

Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I enjoy teaching the curriculum because we set the basis for future topics in secondary ed. The students are still enthusiastic about school and learning. I have taught 2nd grade for 9 years, 3rd for 4 years, and I am starting my 4th year in 4th grade. I love it!
tea:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Malyn528

Malyn528

Fourth graders are...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They are so much sweeter (due to hormones) than the older kids but are willing and able to rise to a challenge than the younger kids.

michiu05

4th Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I started my career teaching a year in kindergarten. That was enough for me. I honestly believe most kindergarten teachers should be considered for saint hood. After that first year I moved up to 4th grade and I have come to adore this grade. I am reaching a milestone this year in my 10th year.

Fourth graders are so eager to learn, and have fun learning. Yet, they are mature enough that they can work independently and you can really dig deep into a content instead of just skimming the surface. I am blessed to work in a district that is 1:1 in technology K-12,and my students have taken off! The ability to create and explore has given us so many opportunities. I think I learn just as much from my students as they do from me. This year I am going to begin some PBL opportunities and I am curious to see how these will change my 4th grade environment. Teaching has evolved so much in the last 10 years, and I am so blessed to have grown and shared it with my 4th graders throughout the years.
michiu05 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkids09

Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love teaching fourth grade because the kids at this age are still loving and eager to learn and have their independence. The curriculum at the fourth grade level is fun to teach and fun for the students.
teachkids09 is offline   Reply With Quote

qana2000

4th Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm also new to 4th grade, having been in primary for 20 years. So I'm also glad to hear such positive reports of 4th grade! So far, it's been great!
qana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelluv8778

Loving my 4th graders
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

They are so sweet and eager to learn! We have FUN in class while still learning. They are so eager to please too. We are working hard at being a family in our class and have quickly picked this up and already taking care of each other. I've had many grades throughout my career and this grade is by far my favorite!
angelluv8778 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jules6382

The perfect age
Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I think fourth graders are at the perfect age for a classroom - they are old enough to be taught independence and old enough to have a real conversation, but still young at heart, eager to learn, and eager to please the teacher!
Jules6382 is offline   Reply With Quote

slam1972

Love 4th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I really enjoy teaching 4th grade. I like that they are still younger students but much more independent. They still want to learn and please. 4th graders really do grow up a lot over the course of the year. I am looking forward to a great year in 4th grade!
slam1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

poodles

Relatively new to fourth
Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I started teaching fourth grade in March of the previous school year and am in fourth again this year. So I don't know too much about them yet! I taught kindergarten for one year, fifth grade for one year, and am looking forward to teaching the same grade level for more than one year! I recently moved to Florida and am enjoying teaching here in the Sunshine State.
poodles is offline   Reply With Quote

philliesfan67

New to 4th grade!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I love reading all the posts so far. I am beginning my 6th yr of teaching and teaching 4th graders for the first time. I was in 3rd last year and will have 1/2 of my third graders from last yr. I am so excited and nervous about going up a level. From all the posts, it seems like a great grade to teach. I am excited to welcome my students. I look forward to being a part of this board and learning /sharing with an amazing group of educators!
philliesfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjw1214

joys of 4th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I love my 4th graders. They are at an age that begs for role models and that is what we are here for. Most want that attention and when given the right amount they are ready to soar and become spectacular people academically and socially. The impact of a teacher in 4th grade is one of the most important impacts ever.
kjw1214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Momac

4th Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Nothing beats 4th Grade. I love that there is still an admiration for the teacher where pleasing them and being accepted and praised by them is more important than showing off for their friends. My students are some of the most dedicated and hard working I've ever worked with. They need some guidance, but desire independence. Plus they get all of my corny jokes!!
Momac is offline   Reply With Quote

20+Teacher

What I LOVE about 4th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I love the curriculum, and the independence the students are beginning to have.
20+Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 09-01-2014, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I love teaching 4th graders. To me, it is the perfect age. Most children have achieved a degree of independence and yet they are still teacher pleasers. They read to learn more than learning to read. They are ready for some higher level math concepts and are so excited when they master them. The kids at this age are interested in helping their teacher and classmates and will really internalize the lessons they learn. Plus, they haven't turned into the walking hormones that are middle schoolers. I hope to teach 4th grade for my entire career. It is the ideal age for me.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

pro/new2grade

luke warm on 4th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have been teaching 4th grade for a half a dozen years and I am still luke warm to this grade level --sorry. I loved teaching 3rd grade - they still had "wonder" in their eyes and hearts. I loved teaching 5th grade - they seemed so mature and capable of doing more complex work. Fourth grade is good - but I don't have the love. The testing pressure is immense. They think they know it and long to be "cool" but do not have the maturity of 5th graders. There is really not much "new" in our curriculum as it is a lot of reinforcement from content introduced in 3rd. We take it farther but there is not a lot of new concepts that I can introduce with the foundation that I could when I was in third.

I am not yet "in love" with my current grade level but I do love what I do. It may because I moved at the request of administrators to fix some problems and bring up test scores. I have been successful here, problems from our former team have resolved (not working together, not getting along) and our scores have been the best in the district for our grade for the past 3 years. I also like my team and like the culture. I am not sure if I would move at this point in my career - but I just don't have the age group love that I have had before.
pro/new2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

chanrowl

4th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I've taught a few other grades including middle school and 4th grade is by far the best! The fact that my kiddos have independence but still have an innocence that still shows that they're kids is what makes teaching 9 and 10 year olds great! They laugh at my jokes, love to give hugs and are still eager to learn! It makes my job a lot easier!
chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote

BigwigRabbit

Why Fourth?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Fourth graders are capable. I can set high standards for them and they will meet them, as long as I give them the proper training and motivation. It's really neat to find out just how smart they really are.
BigwigRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

GA Gal

Fourth Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

This is my 2nd year teaching 4th graders. I love that most of them can work independently for longer periods of time. You can do more project based work with 4th graders. I love that the curriculum is more challenging for them and me. I really like this age!
GA Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

KimSim415

4th grade is the perfect for me!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

This is my third year teaching 4th grade. I love it! The kids are young enough to still love school and they seldom have the attitudes that come with teaching older grades. It is also easier to get them into a routine. I have taught younger kids (kindergarten) and older kids (high school) and 4th graders rock! I love the material and the fact that most of them are still shorter than me since I am only 5'1"😀
KimSim415 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmoser

4th grade rocks!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

This will be my sixth year teaching Grade 4, and I have to echo what a lot of other teachers on this board have said. I love the fact that they are still innocent and sweet (usually!) but also are moving towards independence in their learning (and other areas). Our team of teachers this year even ordered coordinating, "Keep Calm Because 4th Grade Rocks!" T-shirts for the first day.
kmoser is offline   Reply With Quote

dchawk82

Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I started in first grade and have moved up the ladder to fourth this year. I love the independence the kids have gained, yet they still want to please the teacher. I've gone from tying shoes to dealing with first crushes. I'm not sure which is more tiring, haha.

I've also noticed that we're beginning to have more grown up talks in the classroom. Everything isn't black and white anymore. The kids' own beliefs and desires are beginning to shine through. This growth in the kids has led to some awesome discussions!

I'm loving the move up to fourth and can't imagine moving back down.
dchawk82 is offline   Reply With Quote

justforgrins

My second year at 4th
Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

After having taught middle school math for the past 18 years, I was excited for the change. However, one year ago at this time, I was filled with panic, not really sure I had any idea what I was getting into, and praying that I would "do no harm". Well my first bunch of kiddos were amazingly wonderful teachers. They forgave me for not always knowing what to do about an issue, we learned curriculum together, made huge messes with salt dough maps (who knew they had been sending this project home for the parents to do with them), went for outdoor walkabouts just to learn about and practice directions, laughed at each other's jokes, cried with each other over disappointments. I learned more than I taught, but I am so looking forward to doing it all again.
justforgrins is offline   Reply With Quote

kyit34

Love 4th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

What I love about fourth grade is there ability to be silly and hard working at the same time. They love school and want to do well, but still hold on to that fun kid attitude. It makes for a fun learning environment!
kyit34 is offline   Reply With Quote

SFOA

Love fourth!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I've been teaching fourth graders for nearly two decades. I love their independence and sense of humor. In my school, they are the oldest grade. I love seeing them grow and mature, and ready to take on the challenges at the next level.
SFOA is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

I Love 4th Grade!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

4th graders are more mature and able to work independently. They still look up to the teacher and aim to please. They enjoy the hands-on Science modules and working with partners. They are engaged and work hard to write down their observations. They are eager to learn.

I appreciate the foundation that they have come in with. They offer ideas to help the classroom run more efficiently. They are such great helpers! The day goes by so quickly.

This year I am teaching a class that I had as 1st graders. I am so excited to see their progress. I can't wait to dig into the 4th grade material with them.
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mkc235

what I love about 4th
Old 09-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I have been teaching 4th for 15 years....I love that they still LOVE school and get excited about learning! They also still like the teacher and want to please....they are just a great group of kiddos!
mkc235 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Rib

4th graders are special....
Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

They start the year so young and immature but grow SO much during the year! They still have respect and want to please you. This is my 24th year of teaching 4th graders.
Mrs. Rib is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

23years!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I've taught fourth for 23 years. Why? Well......I love them! They are still kids and need a hug every now and then. They get my jokes and still love learning. I love the curriculum. I get to teach my state history. I teach writing and find they open up and really share when putting words on paper. They have an excitement that keeps me going. Technology keeps it fresh and new. I'm always learning. I'll probably retire as only a fourth grade teacher!
postteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

shiningstar76

Old 09-01-2014, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I am 30+ years educator. I have taught every grade from 1st to 5th. I teach math and science. I am drawn to the fourth graders because they come to me as babies from third grade and I am able to teach them how to become independent thinkers.
shiningstar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unicornsrrea

Unicornsrrea

Fourth Grade - special
Old 09-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Fourth grade is special because we are moving from a primary attitude towards a more mature responsible for own learning attitude. No longer relying on the teacher to create our learning for us but having the teacher guide us through our learning.

Caroltn4

Fourth Grade is the best!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

This is my 38th year of teaching fourth grade--and I never get tired of it! Even though the curriculum is basically the same, the students are so different every year. I love this age. The children are still young enough to enjoy goofy things, but they are old enough that you don't have to baby them (well, not most of them, anyway!). I think I'm good for another ten years, which means that my last group will just be born right now!
Caroltn4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherz123

Fabulous Fourth
Old 09-01-2014, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

This is my 4th year in 4th after switching from Kindergarten. This grade level is my all-time favorite due to their independence, humor, and spark for learning. I love being able to challenge them and watching their creativity kick in to high gear. Since this is a state testing grade (reading and writing for me), I try to balance things out so they don't always feel like we're testing. They love projects and are experts at all things technology! They're still sweet enough to want hugs yet are also "cool" at the same time!
Teacherz123 is offline   Reply With Quote

center208

center208
Old 09-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

By December they get my jokes, 3rd graders were clueless! 4th graders get excited about learning new things!
center208 is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 09-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I have taught 4th grade for ten years now. It's my very favorite grade to teach. I love how the kids are still very eager to please the teacher, but they are also grown up enough to get jokes and have fun. It's the most special grade of all for me.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kzoteacher

First year in fourth
Old 09-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Hello everyone,
It is so weird to call myself a fourth grade teacher. I have taught third for 5 years and I feel so out of my wheel house. School starts tomorrow, so we will see what my thirty fourth graders bring. I am hopeful by all your posts that they still have a love for learning and a love for their teacher. Looking forward to getting to know all of you more.
kzoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Halsten2

Yes, it's fabulous in 4th!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

What a great idea to share thoughts with teachers of 9 and 10 year olds across the world! I have taught Preschool, Kindergarten, First and 3rd, but ,my favorite grade is 4th. Yes, they are full of opinions and even a little "attitude", however hormones are still on the horizon. I like the faster pace of teaching and most 4th graders are open to try anything new! They get my jokes and are becoming more independent learners as well. The saying is true that 4th graders have learned to read and now they are reading to learn. After 25 years of teaching I still love it, and I think 4th grade is the perfect grade to teach!
Halsten2 is offline   Reply With Quote

crownjewel

Love 4th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I have taught 4th grade for more than 20 years and it just never gets old.
The students grow so much during the school year. They become more independent and I love to challenge them to reach their highest potential.

I have a retired 1st grade teacher come and read to my class each year.
She loves this age so much that she told me that if she had been teaching 4th grade at the end of her career, she wouldn't have retired. The students are just sponges and so interested in learning and sharing.

Yes indeed - I love teaching 4th grade!!!!!!
crownjewel is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Special about fourth....
Old 09-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Fourth graders are hands down the best elementary age. They love the teacher and love school, but can be trained to be so independent. They get excited and joyful about the sweetest little things. They still love to sing songs and play games, but can be serious and take notes too. Fourth graders are my passion! I love this grade!
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dhzebra

love 4th
Old 09-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I agree with what everyone has said about this age group. Have taught every grade from K to 8th in my 29 years and this is the best. I feel that they are just starting to dream about their own future lives and I want to help them dream big! can't wait until Thursday to meet the new group.
dhzebra is offline   Reply With Quote

wrestlingmomx

Old 09-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I absolutely love 4th grade. The students are caring individuals that grow so much academically, socially and personally. I partner with a self-contained EC classroom and my 4th graders are always looking for ways to bring joy to the EC students. Last year, instead of having their own Easter party, they threw an Easter Extravaganza filled with games and food for the EC students. It was an idea of a few of the students in my class and all of the students ran with it. They became young adults right before my eyes. I can't wait to see what this year holds
wrestlingmomx is offline   Reply With Quote

KCJ

Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

Fourth grade is a special group--the thing I love about them the most is that they are on the brink of every good and life-shaping experience that could ever happen to them. They are open to learning, ready to be wowed by the world, and still young so we can reach them while their characters are coming together, shaping their thoughts, actions, and habits. They can be a challenge for us as well, keeping teachers on their toes as we keep up with the constant demand for knowledge and attention. Give these kids what they need, and they will change the world for us all.
KCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

MissT12783

Old 09-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

Teaching fourth grade is special to my because they are just the right age. Not to young, but not to old. they are still loving and want to please, yet they are too hormone crazy just yet lol

I also enjoy teaching the regions in social studies and double digit multiplication and long division.
MissT12783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach800

Old 09-01-2014, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

I love 4th graders. They are at that great age where they are starting to take responsibility for their learning and themselves. They are fun, curious, and will attempt anything. They support one another in their learning. I enjoy introducing them to new technology. We even have a classroom Twitter account! After spending over 20 enjoyable years in junior high, 4th grade has also been a very special experience!
Teach800 is offline   Reply With Quote

iltchr

Fourth is the best!!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

This is my 20th year teaching 4th graders, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else! They are so much fun, and young enough to still want to keep their teacher happy. I love that they "get" my jokes, and have that wonderful desire to learn all they can. I love that they still like to play games, still love stickers, but can also be very serious about learning.

Fourth grade is the best!!!
iltchr is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

Old 09-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

Fourth Grade is special for me because I get to teach California History. It's the fourth grade social studies curriculum and I love it. I'm a native Californian, but I think it has just got such an interesting history from the Native Americans, Explorers, and Missions to the Gold Rush.

I also love the math curriculum too. There are many new concepts for fourth graders and I love to be the one to introduce them to the children.

I think fourth graders still love their teacher. They are old enough to be independent, but still want to please. I have so much fun with my class every year. I can't think of a year that I didn't.
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

cyndisteacher

Old 09-01-2014, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I am fortunate to not only teach 4th but also Math. We have departmentalized this year, and I get the the best of both worlds.
cyndisteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Perdy4

4 th grade
Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I, too, love teaching fourth grade. I have been "in" fourth grade for the past 13 years. Each year is new and exciting. I love the excitement of the students and the joy they bring to class. We have been back to class for a month and time has flown by.
Perdy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

jwmcteach

4th Grade is Special
Old 09-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

Teaching 4th Grade is special because this is a perfect grade to enjoy students who are just beginning to express an understanding of humor and they still enjoy coming to school and thinking their teacher is cool! I love listening to book talks with kids who are learning to love reading!
jwmcteach is offline   Reply With Quote

smastriana

CEO of two major corporations
Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

Yes I am CEO of both my home and my classroom! I have been a teacher for 32 years and have been running my household (been married for...) 30 years!
Lucky me- I love my jobs!
This morning I am heading back to school for the first of 2 professional days then I get to meet my new class! After all of these years I still did not sleep last night!
I am a techie geek, love to read, and love a challenge!
I think the most special thing about 4th grade is watching them walk the fine line between child and adolescent. They still love to get my approval and attention like younger students but their first priority is each other like the middle school student. I also love that they get my jokes!!
Wishing everyone the best school year ever!
smastriana is offline   Reply With Quote

4thanddown

fabulous fourth grade
Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

Welcome back! My entire career has been in fourth grade and I wouldn't have it any other way. They are old enough to get my jokes and young enough to still appreciate stickers and pencil prizes. They are eager to write with a pen and to learn division. They are very forgiving of one another and a lot less critical of others' appearance. That's why I call them FABULOUS!
4thanddown is offline   Reply With Quote

conradla

Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

This is my first year teaching fourth grade so it will be a challenge, but I am excited as well.
conradla is offline   Reply With Quote

schaff

4th graders rock
Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

I love the 4th graders. They can carry on a discussion with you and their classmates. They have opinions that they are beginning to develop yet they don't have the hormones raging that the older students do. they still love school and their teachers. You can joke around with 4th graders and they understand the jokes. They are great!!
schaff is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

Fourth grade
Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

I started school on August 26. There was a time over the summer when I thought I'd be moved to either 3rd grade or 5th grade, but luckily that didn't come to pass. I'm only teaching reading this year, and i must say I really miss teaching Science and Social Studies.

I love fourth graders, because they are so sweet and loving and independent! Every year there is always a cleaner and a helper. There are your huggers and pleasers, but no matter the personality, fourth is a wonderful grade to teach.

I am also a writer, and I'm writing a mystery series geared towards boys. I can't wait to have my boys and girls read what I've written so far.
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

lttlecritter

Teaching 4th Grade
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

This is my first year teaching 4th grade and I absolutely love it already! The kids are so enthusiastic to try new and harder activities. They are willing to take chances and seem so eager to learn. It is really going to be a great year!
lttlecritter is offline   Reply With Quote

TraddStLovely

Fourth Grade
Old 09-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

This is my sixth year teaching fourth grade (plus a year with a fourth/fifth combo).

I love fourth graders because they are enthusiastic about everything, willing to take risks. I love the way all of their hands shoot up into the air when I say, "I need a volunteer..." Forget the fact that they don't know what I want them to do; they just want to be the one to do it.

I love how much fourth graders grow during the year. I always forget how far they've come - until I meet my new group at the beginning of the next school year! In August, they need me for everything - Is this right? How do I...? What does this mean? Where is the...? By June, they are independent, resourceful, and
ready to take on the world - or at least fifth grade.

I love that fourth graders still love their teacher - and aren't afraid to show it. They give hugs and ask when your birthday is and draw you pictures. (Nothing says true love like a drawing of a big, hairy spider presented by a fourth grade boy!)

I love that fourth graders are at the perfect age to be shaped into readers. They are ready to embrace good literature and make sense out of it. They are ready to find favorite authors and series and read voraciously.

I just love fourth graders!
I love the way that fourth graders
TraddStLovely is offline   Reply With Quote

coyotes2k

They are different
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

After teaching middle school for 7 years, I can honestly say that teaching 4th grade is quite a difference. The effort and genuine sincerity is a refreshing change. There is a much stringer concerted effort to want to learn at this level and the attitudes are much better. The support I am getting at my school and from parents is a refreshing change as well. It has been a feel out period thus far but catching up with curriculum is coming along. I know for a lot of my students this is the only stable place they have and so I do the best I can to make it the best learning environment possible.

So far going on a month in class and getting better every day. Always a few interesting ones but what would teaching be without that?
coyotes2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

4th grade
Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

I've taught 4th grade for 14 out of my 21 years of teaching. It's THE best grade level for me. I love the curriculum including our state history, the books we can read and discuss in lit circles, and the fun with word work at this age. Like so many others have said they are independent just enough but retain an innocence and love of learning and wanting to please the adult
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

This is my 4th year teaching 4th grade.

What I love is that they are a decade old [most] and beginning to get into an older child mindset. I also love that being in the Philadelphia School District in PA I can take my students to 5 historical areas through the History Hunters. They learn about the past and explore; than write about it and it is FREE. The areas and buses. 5 Free Trips in a year.

Enjoy your 4th grade classes.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

First year
Old 09-04-2014, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

of 4th grade in a very long time but overall they seem to remember to know how to put their heading on their paper better than 3rd graders did!

Looking forward to California History....
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Combow

I love my 4th graders!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

23 out of my 29 years have been with 9 & 10 year olds! I always say it's post-snotty noses and pre-hormones! I agree with previous posts that they are eager to learn, and eager to please the adults in their lives. They are not at the age yet where they are heavily influenced by peer pressure. They are old enough to be semi-independent. They understand my sarcasm, and care about their classmates. It makes it much easier to build a community of learners. I am so blessed to spend my days with 4th graders!
Combow is offline   Reply With Quote

mrps66

Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

This is my 8th year to teach 4th grade. I've taught 2nd - 5th grades. 4th graders are independent but still like their teacher more than their peers (most of the time)!!
mrps66 is offline   Reply With Quote

mossgirl9

4th Grade
Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

After teaching Kindergarten for 5 years, I decided to move to fourth for a must needed change. The students have been so fun to teach and the curriculum is more interesting.
mossgirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Beige

4th Grade!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #71

I love teaching 4th grade because the kids are old enough to joke with, but young enough to still be really excited about school. Watching 4th graders grow into confident young Tweens is one of the best parts of my job.
Mrs. Beige is online now   Reply With Quote

4fourth

Off to a great start!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #72

I love that each year I have a new set of minds to introduce to all of the exciting topics and concepts of fourth grade.
4fourth is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #73

This my first year teaching fourth (actually it's a 3/4/5 split). My fourth graders are really coming out of their shells and are really getting into the new reading curriculum since we have switched from abeka to Open Court this year. They want to really dig deep this year and were so excited to learn how to use a compass to make circles yesterday.

I got to roll up with last years second and third graders and it's more than amazing to see how they have changed over the summer.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 09-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #74

I taught Fourth Grade 4 years ago and I am back to fourth this year after third grade. I love the independence. They can follow directions, complete a task, and learn. I also love that they are still young enough not to be wise guys. I am looking forward to learning many things from all the Fourth Grade teachers here on PT!
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Love_2_Teach

Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #75

I have been teaching fourth grade for 6 years. I love how they are finding their way academically at this age. They are starting to be more independent, are fun to be around and still love school.
Love_2_Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

4th Grade
Old 09-06-2014, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #76

I wasn't thrilled when my principal moved me to 4th grade from 3rd - this is my 4th year now, and although I miss my old 3rd grade team, I do love working with the 4th graders. I am constantly amazed at some of the insights and connections they are capable of.
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.teacher

4th Grade
Old 09-06-2014, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #77

Throughout my teaching career, I mostly taught third grade. One year I asked to be moved to 4th grade in order to teach with a good friend of mine and found that I loved 4th graders. Coming from 3rd grade, I saw how much they had grown. They were very inquisitive, loved class discussions and had a great sense of humor. Although I have since moved on to being an instructional coach, I absolutely loved my time as a 4th grade teacher.
ms.teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Old 09-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #78

I love teaching Fourth grade. My students are independent enough that we can explore so many different things, but young enough that the world is still a wonderful and exciting place. I love seeing the world through their eyes.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

MissC83

I love 4th grade!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #79

This is my fifth year in 4th grade and I couldn't be happier! I love that kids this age can still be innocent enough to enjoy the silly, little things, but they are also old enough to dig in and have good discussions about things we are learning in class.
MissC83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Relearner

Fourth Grade Sounds So Grown Up...
Old 09-15-2014, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #80

compared to the second and third grades I taught in the past! Hmm.... This is my 12th year teaching 4th grade. I like teaching Social Studies! I am proud of the way my teaching of Science has improved over the years. With what seem like quickly increasing and truly confounding changes in education, I have been finding it more challenging to maintain a calm spirit in the classroom. "Take a breath and chill!" is what I need to hear in my anxious and hurried heart most days at school. You can probably tell that I am close to retirement. I am still very proud to be a teacher!
Relearner is offline   Reply With Quote

mrslacy

4th Grade
Old 09-28-2014, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #81

I enjoy teaching fourth grade so far. This is my second year teaching, last year I taught Special Education so this is a big change for me. I like how they are getting into history in fourth grade, they are becoming more independent too! I have a question for anyone who will answer (multiple people hopefully)!

What are some good chapter books to read in fourth grade? I have Charolette's Web, Shiloh, Bridge to Terabitha, and Freak the Mighty. I am needing more suggestions for the year though! Thanks!
mrslacy is offline   Reply With Quote