Fall Classroom Display Contest Entries

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Fall Classroom Display Contest Entries
Old 10-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here are all the wonderful entries from our 2014 Fall Classroom Display Contest. Thanks to everyone who shared their creative ideas!

JHKteach

Falling Leaves
Old 10-08-2014, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As we begin the year in the fall we make a bulletin board with falling leaves. One of the children's art projects is their first name on a 'scratch and sniff' leaf. This is made by the children tracing their first name with with glue and then sprinkling with jello powder. The other leaf project is a book about using their five senses in the fall. On each page the children tell us the words of what they 'see, hear, smell, touch, taste' in the fall. We print the words and they draw the pictures and then color the front page the colour of a fall leaf.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

ovrjoyd4u2

Learning Lab
Old 10-12-2014, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a picture of my front door decor
Attachment

Miller

It's Fall, Y'all!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The pumpkins were created from a "roll a face" math activity. My ten 1st/2nd grade special education students had to roll a dice and match the dice to the mouth on a paper with corresponding dice faces, same for the nose, then for the mouth they had to roll the dice and put that many teeth on the mouth.

My fall tree will transition from this current fall tree with pumpkins to have turkeys once Halloween passes. Once Thanksgiving passes my students will do a symmetry lesson and make snowflakes and those will replace the leaves.
Attachment

Seaglass1212

Preschool Promises
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In preschool we will play, learn and grow this year!
We are learning about "me" and also about my new preschool friends.
We helped each other to make a "me" person. We looked at each others eyes and hair. We talked about our favorite colors. We looked in the mirror and glued on eyes and hair that looked like ours. We colored our clothes our favorite color. We talked about our favorite things to play and to eat. We learned the names of our new friends and we picked a friend to "stand" next to on our bulletin board. Everyday we love to point to our "me" person and to our new friends.
We found that we are all different, but all the same in some ways and we all want to play, learn and grow together at North Dover Preschool.

Attachment

Sbkangas5

Fall Windows
Old 10-18-2014, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have a large window that looks out onto the "big" kids playground and our school ceramics lab. It is the first thing you see as you walk in our door, so I try to give it a seasonal feel. The windows are just painted with tempera paint (mixed with a bit of soap). On the top of the middle window are some stained glass jack-o-lanterns that my kids made with their big buddies (they are on all of our other windows as well).
Attachment

Firebelly

Ye Old Haunted Classroom
Old 10-19-2014, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This Halloween doorway has a number of elements that have been created by students. The first is the brick walls of this doorway. A rectangular sponge full of paint that has not been fully blended is pressed down repeatedly leaving a thin white space between each "brick". Students fill a long piece of white paper, and I hang the sheets once they are dry.
Two other student-created elements are the spooky eyes and mouths of the ghosts and the "Enter If You Dare!" sign on the door.
Attachment

BobberSox

**See Our Cells**
Old 10-19-2014, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Cells are the building blocks of life! And so it was that my 4th graders were introduced to the structure and function of living cells this October. As part of Science Week at our school, they were assigned a project. They had to make a model of either a plant or animal cell and label the organelles. Look at the creativity that poured out! Amongst the most interesting, never-before-have-I-seen-as-a-teacher, were a sewn pillow cell (perhaps it will retire in a doctor's office somewhere) and a decorative mirror cell. Great job to my kiddos for combing art and science!
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

spud93

A Minion Reasons To Read
Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I created this door display to coincide with Halloween and we are also having a book fair at our school during this time. It is a fun way to encourage reading with our students. I created each Minion out of yellow poster board. The arms, eyes, glasses and mouths are made from poster board or construction paper and are all-interchangeable. Each piece is laminated separately so I can change the eyes, mouths or arm positions. The glasses have the laminating film left on the glasses to serve as lenses. All of the books titles included in the display have the word million in the title. My students have enjoyed this display and love the fact that it is low enough on the door that they can look at it closely. I intentionally positioned the Minion on the left hand side of the door to look like he is looking down the hall and waving when the door is open. I even have one peeking out the window from the classroom. I am also thinking of dressing the Minions for the holidays with turkey feathers for Thanksgiving and a Santa hat and beard for Christmas. It is a fun display and it puts a smile on the face of my students.
Attachment

teacherashley

Stinky Poems
Old 10-22-2014, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My intermediate students wrote stinky poems. I bought a file on stinky poems - using adjectives to describe "stinky" Halloween-related characters, like witches and Frankenstein. I teach technology and try to overlap my lessons and skills taught with what they are learning in their reading and math classes. And this activity fit the season.

However, I wanted to have an eye-catching display for the rest of the school to see while they read the students' poems. Therefore, I used a different file where students created those Halloween characters using paint chips. I have gotten so many compliments and "WOWS!" from other teachers and students. They love the paint chip Halloween characters. They really are fun to see, and who doesn't love a title like, "stinky poems," especially when 90% of my students are boys!
I used a scrapbook paper background that is a photograph image of hay. It looks very real. I used bright green tissue paper to add some 3-D color-popping effect on the title sign. I glued the Halloween characters and the poems to seasonal-colored construction paper. They didn't need a lot of additional decorating on my part because they are so cute, just plain and simple!

Attachment

VivianCP

Kindergarten Pumpkin Patch
Old 10-22-2014, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

After attending the pumpkin farm, kindergartners painted their own pumpkins. They each added a face to make a jack-o-lantern and then we created our own pumpkin patch. We also make some scarecrows to protect our patch!
Attachment

momteach310

Falling Into Poetry
Old 11-01-2014, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Students in my 2nd grade were starting a poetry unit. First we brainstormed things that happen in the fall. Then they wrote Autumn acrostic poems and were encouraged to use a dictionary if stuck. They were able to use our brainstorming ideas as well as their own ideas to complete the poem. Next we tackled haikus. We reviewed and practiced syllable counting and they did an awesome job with fall haiku poems as well. They wrote their haiku poems on leaf shapes. They are all readable; they just don't look like it in the picture. They had a great time writing them!
Attachment

Skimo

Fall on the Farm
Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use this bulletin board to display student work and art. The theme for October was Fall and Farm. As you will notice, I use material to place on the board for the fall season. The children used tissue paper to design leaves for the fall season. Each child was given a drawing prompt, the children were told to draw each ones favorite activity for the fall season. Each child used rubber stamps to illustrate life on the farm. The farm colors paper was used for following directions that the teacher called out for each one to follow, for example, draw yellow corn for the hens to eat. I had farm stencils available for children to design his/her farm and scissors for cutting practice.
Attachment

nooney

Fall in Love with Learning
Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

click attachment below to see how our class 'Falls in Love with Learning'...
Attachment

GreenBunny

Seasonal Art
Old 11-09-2014, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The Halloween black cats go along with the song Black Cat:
Black cat, Black cat,
Looking for a witch,
All around the night is dark as pitch.
You can see because your eyes are green.
Black cat, black cat
It is Halloween!

The Diwali candles are new this year.

The Remembrance Day doves have speech bubbles about what peace is. The children told me what to say, I wrote it in pencil and they traced it with the colour of their choice. They said things like Peace is sharing with everybody; Peace is being kind; Peace is playing with the neighbour's kids; Peace is new power. That last one is my favourite!
Attachment

tchrrx

I Wish
Old 11-16-2014, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Each student wrote a five line poem. Each line began with the words, "I Wish." I then typed and printed the poems.

Each student was asked to stand with his/her shoulder near a blank wall and told to pretend to blow. I took a picture of them 'blowing' and printed them in black and white. I then very carefully cut around each child's profile.

Students worked with a partner to wrap a long length of white yarn around one another's fingers. I then tied the yarn and showed them how to snip the ends to make a pompom.

The poems, photos, and pompom dandelions, along with a twig 'stem,' were glued onto blue cardstock. My bulletin board background was black material with small white dots. The border was a zebra print. I added the words "I Wish" in white with a blue shadow. It made a very eye catching display for our Open House.

I found the original idea on Pinterest, but then adapted it to fit my needs. I hope that you enjoy it!
Attachment

TeachFunLearn

Fall Bulletin Board
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This bulletin board is designed as a fall bulletin board that incorporates a variety of themes. An explanation is below:

1. To help us think about fall spelling words, and to support English language learners, students wrote and drew words they associate with fall on the feathers of the turkey.

2. Students voted on the name of the turkey (to tie into our discussion of voting on Election Day).

3. Information about Thanksgiving is posted from a Scholastic Weekly Reader on the board.

4. Students wrote a list of things they are thankful for on the letters of the word THANKS. Parts of this work are on this bulletin board. Some student THANKS lists are on a nearby bulletin board.

To make the board more visually pleasing and fun, the board includes a sky border with clouds, The background is of the sky. There are leaves and other fall symbols across the bulletin board. And there are "Christmas lights" above the bulletin board for a special visual display.

I hope you enjoy this bulletin board. Thank you for your consideration!
Attached Images

123frog

Classroom Reading Nook
Old 11-17-2014, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I wanted to incorporate the "unused" steps into my classroom theme. I knew the children would enjoy sitting on the steps. So... the idea of "The Reading Nook" was born. This nook provides an "inviting" place for students to read in the classroom. The tree was made out of rolled and crumpled bulletin board paper. Black paint was added to give depth to the tree. I even added two wiggly eyes! The leaves were cut out of construction paper. The tire swing was made out of a real rope and some cardboard. The stuffed frog, fake tree, wall butterflies, and garden flowers were added to provide a 3-D effect. I threw in a lime green rug, pillows, and a beanbag. The kids love going to the reading nook.
Attachment

bookbadger

Fall Reflections
Old 11-19-2014, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We created the reflection trees by folding watercolor paper in half, unfolding, and using tempera paint to paint tree trunks and branches on the top half of the paper. Then the kids re-folded and blotted the paper while the brown was still wet to create the reflection of the trunks on the bottom half of the paper. This painting and blotting was repeated for each leaf color, which was also done in tempera. The next week we used water colors to fill in the shoreline, sky, water, and other details. They washed the watercolor right over the trees in the bottom half of the painting to create a reflection affect in the pond/lake.
The other tree projects were done with tempera paint trunks and branches and Q-tips to dot in the leaves.
Attachment

irises

First Grade...Where the Wild Things Are
Old 11-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This door display was created for a school-wide door decorating contest in October. I read Where the Wild Things Are as a read aloud. We discussed the author's use of soft night time colors in the illustrations. The students each attempted to use colors similar to Maurice Sendak's as they colored and cut out a "wild thing" I'd copied on construction paper. I cut out the faces but left part in-tact to act as a hinge so the wild thing's face and the student's face could both be seen! The children like looking at their faces as they come and go each day. The background, tree, leaves, vines and stars were made from bulletin board paper. While this contest was really for Halloween, I like the literature link and the fact that I could keep this display up long after Halloween was over.
Attachment

rana712

Dia de los Muertos
Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

In our Elementary Spanish classes, we studied the Mexican celebration, Dia de los Muertos. We constructed an altar with an ofrenda and made papel picados. Our altar included candles, cempasuchiles (marigolds), comida rica, agua, fotos, pan de los muertos, calacas (skeltons) and calveras (skulls). We learned about the importance of our seres queridos and our antepasados.
Attachment

GiantSubs

Books Make Us Bright!
Old 11-21-2014, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I saw a bulletin board on Pinterest where I got the templates for the lights, but I changed a few things from the original. I put the Books Make Us Bright on a "plug" and ran the "light string" from it and thru the lights. On each light, the children have chosen their favorite book to recommend and written a paragraph about why. Now, as the other children come down our hall, they can check out our book recommendations!
Attachment

cptjway

Synonym Cemetery
Old 11-21-2014, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

It's time to "bury" those boring adjectives! This is a vocabulary display that my fifth graders made. The purpose of the activity was to practice finding synonyms in a dictionary, and to enrich the students' vocabulary. It also went well with the time of year - Halloween! Each student chose a boring adjective, and made a paper tombstone, so that they can "bury" the boring word. That word is "survived" by a more vivid, interesting word. The students made the entire display: background, trees, tombstones, and the creepy creatures. The only part that I helped with was the letters. Here is an example of what one tombstone has on it: Here lies FAT, survived by gargantuan, ponderous, chubby, whale-like, husky, and elephantine. R.I.P."

It's displayed on the wall outside my classroom, and students like to read it when they are lined up to switch classrooms. This was a fun activity, and now my students are motivated to use stronger, more descriptive words in their writing!
Attachment

MissC83

Can You Copy Me?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Students colored a turkey any way they wanted, then wrote specific directions for another student to read in order to color another turkey the same way.

I was impressed at how well the kids did with this activity. We worked on handwriting, organization, transition words, spelling, and using accurate, detailed directions. I'd call this one a success!
Attached Images

laurathy

A box of crayons
Old 11-22-2014, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Here is my door display for September. Crayons were always one of my favorite new school supplies to get each year. I like to read The Crayon Box That Talked at the beginning of the year. It is a nice way to talk about how we all bring something special to the classroom.
The kids liked how the door matched a crayon box. Other students also commented on the door as they passed in the hallway. I used Crayola Slick Stix to write their names. I projected a crayon box to trace the outline of the crayons and colored them in with markers and crayons.
Attachment

creativeaide

Let's Play Scrabble
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

This window display welcomed third graders back to school with a Scrabble theme! The enlarged homemade board is constructed of sheet metal covered with actual Scrabble board fabric and then framed. The letters stay in place with magnetic tape. All of the student's first names are arranged on the board. They loved seeing their name in the window! I included an actual vintage Scrabble game for the children to use.
There is also fun and interesting trivia questions posted in the window for adults to test their knowledge of the game. For example, "What letter has the most tiles?" The letter "E" has 12 tiles...

This was a fun way to begin the school year and introduce students to a great word game!
Attachment

OmahaTeacher

Candy Corn Monsters
Old 11-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

This display was on the bulletin board right outside my room for the month of October. I gave my 4th grade students pieces of different colored construction paper to create their own monster, then candy corn to glue on for the teeth. Each student was also provided with a speech bubble so they could give their monster a voice, which my students absolutely LOVED!

This turned out to be one my favorite bulletin boards I've done and had lots of visitors stopping to check out the monsters.
Attachment