Classroom Creations Drawing Entries

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Classroom Creations Drawing Entries
Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Below are the entries for our Classroom Creations Drawing! Before we announce the drawing winners, I want to remind everyone about our Fall Classroom Display Contest. Entries are due by Saturday, November 22nd.

For our Classroom Creations Drawing, members shared photos of anything -big or small- that they or their family members made, reclaimed, or refurbished for use in their classrooms.

Here are the TWO lucky winners of the random drawing. Both winners will receive a $50 Amazon.com gift certificate!

And the random drawing winners are...

Congratulations:

GiantSubs
bookbadger

winners of the random drawing!

Thanks again to everyone who participated!
Stay tuned for our next event!

How the drawing winners were selected:

To select our winner, we used the 'true random number generator' at random.org to choose one random number between 1 and the number of entries received. The generator gave us a number which we matched up with our list of respondents. Finally, we verified that the chosen entry met the requirements of the contest and the winner had no duplicate entries.

Winner must claim prize within 30 days or forfeit the prize. The winner's prize will be sent by email. Please keep the email address associated with your ProTeacher account valid and up-to-date! We never share your email address with anyone.

(2013-2014 Contest & Drawing Winners)

And here are all the wonderful entries...

Feel free to comment or add your own classroom creation!

Turkeyrun

4th Grade READBOX
Old 10-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All children seem to know about Redbox and renting movies--I saw this idea on Pintrest and thought it would certainly be worth my time and effort to transform an old bookcase that was due to be destroyed.

I took a beat-up wood bookcase and spray painted it red. I downloaded a screen copy of a readbox that was on Pintrest and then framed it in a red frame. Attached the frame to the back of the bookcase with screws. Then I got metal business card holders at Staples and screwed them under the "rental" sign--these hold the "featured" books. I hand painted the READBOX logo. Then I fill the actual bookcase shelves with the books that will be featured later.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

cargill

Table Decoration
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My husband made these for my class last year when we were studying the Iditarod. Students sponge painted each husky making each dog unique and different. We sent 100 husky dogs to Alaska and they were used as table decorations at the Mushers Banquet. Each student also was given a husky dog to sponge paint and keep as a reminder of the Iditarod race and the musher they followed.
Attachment

ovrjoyd4u2

Duct Tape Diva
Old 10-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I inherited this storage ottoman from a teacher who retired. The cheap leatherette upholstery was ratty.

So a couple of rolls of duct tape and

VOILA!
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

MissC83

Painted rocking chair
Old 10-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I painted a rocking chair that was handed down to me from a retiring teacher. My students love to sit in this colorful creation and enjoy rocking while they read. My name is painted at the top, but I blocked it out for obvious reasons.

You can see one of the small file cabinets I painted, as well. I bought it for $5 at a rummage sale and used some paint to give it a bright and whimsical look.

I love painting furniture for my classroom! It's become one of my favorite hobbies!

Attached Images

spud93

Star Reader Chair
Old 10-12-2014, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I purchased this chair for $2 at a sale. It was stained and had spots of glue stuck to the seat. I sanded the chair and painted a fun colorful design with acrylic paint and used several coats of sealer. This is a Star Reader Chair used in my classroom. Students get to sit in this chair and read aloud to their classmates. They become a Star Reader after they have practiced reading their story or page from a book and want to share with the group. This is a fun way to practice fluency skills and my students look forward to being the Star Reader.
Attachment

daffodils

Flipchart Hanging Stand
Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My dad and I made the flipchart changing stand for my classroom library out of PVC pipes. We bought pieces for the top, middle and bottom horizontal pipes and then the two longer vertical pipes. We used a saw to make them the correct length. The legs were preshaped pipe pieces and had covers at the bottom. We glued some of the pipe connector pieces together to make them sturdier, but left a few unglued so we could take the top off the bottom and the legs off the frame for easier storage. I bought 2 large rings that open for the top so that I could slide paper packets into them. It worked great for showing charts during large and small group lessons.
Attached Images

ljones11

clock
Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I created this clock to hang in my classroom library out of one of my favorite books, The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I bought a clock kit from a craft store to make it. The only hard part was bearing to "destroy" the book by drilling a hole through the center for the clock part!
Attachment

not stam

Mr. Big Mouth
Old 10-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I created a visual "Mr. Big Mouth" to use while teaching my Fourth Graders how to compare numbers. I explained to them that Mr. Big Mouth likes big numbers so his wide mouth always faces the larger number as if he's gobbling them up! My students enjoyed coming up to the board to use Mr. Big Mouth instead of writing the greater than or less than symbol.
I used two paint stirrers (picked up from Home Depot) and glued them together to form a sideways "v". I used 3D fabric paint to write "Mr. Big Mouth". In the future, I may also paint the stirrers or choose a few students to decorate.
Attachment

GiantSubs

Ugly shelving
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So what do when you're only classroom storage is open, ugly shelving? Make curtains! My classroom is theme is Rock 'n Roll, so I tried to find a pattern that might look like CD's (of course, our kids don't know what those are anymore ). I hung up some tension rods and covered my ugly shelves with a cute pattern that brings some color to the room.

They're nothing spectacular, but they do brighten up the place!

Attachment

Minnesota80

Colorful crate seats
Old 10-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This past summer I made 3 cushioned crate seats for my students to use during Daily 5. They also match my polka dot theme. The kids love them!
Attachment

rappinteach

Painted Rocking Chair
Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

A few years back I saw a post for a rocking chair that was being given away for free on our local online forums. I was lucky enough to be the first person to ask for it. When I picked it up, it was dark brown with a faded floral design on it, but it was very sturdy.

I had always wanted a fun painted rocking chair for my classroom, but never had the money to buy one. This was my chance! I rounded up all my acrylic paints and foam brushes. I then set out to finalize a design. After doing some online research about painted furniture, I got to work. First, I painted the foundation colors. Then, I sketched the seat design and wording in pencil and painted it in. I used acrylic paint pens on some of the smaller detail work and words. The paint pens and a can of acrylic sealer were my only purchased items for this project. After a week of working on it off and on, my project was finally complete!

I used it in my classroom for a couple of years while doing read-alouds. Class size forced me to relocate it to a new home. I wanted others to be able to enjoy it if I couldn't keep it in my room, so now it is used by our librarian and students as they read in the library. It is a favorite spot for students to sit and read!
Attachment

teacherashley

Login Loops Board
Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

For me to build something for my classroom, it has to be a "life-changing" tool, meaning, it needs to help me and/or my students tremendously with organization on a daily basis. My login loops board does just that. I'm a technology teacher with 10 different technology classes each week, ranging from 1st through eighth grade. With the ever-changing and developing internet, I am always on the lookout for new websites and educational games that interest my students as well as help them academically. Right now, I have over 7 different websites for students that require a username and password. It was a nightmare keeping up with all of their login information. Thus...the login loops board. I did not reinvent the wheel on this one, I just made a "tool" work for me!
I bought a brown pegboard sheet at Home Depot and a can of white spray paint. I also bought 10 pegboard 6-inch hooks along with a pegboard hanging basket.
My husband had some scrap lumber that I painted white as well. He nailed the pegboard to 4 pieces of 2-inch boards. Then, I had him add the same length of boards to the front for a "border". It took about a day to dry (I painted all of this when it was 90 degrees and 80% humidity outside - not the best choice). It turned out great.
I put in the hooks, made the loops for my students, and put labels for each class so that they are easily accessible for each group. I also made a colorful title at the top so substitutes and other teachers will easily know where to find student information too.
My students took right to this. They love the independence of having the loops - they don't have to ask me what their passwords are for websites when they want to get online!

You can do this too! You don't have to be a technology teacher to do this. You could use a smaller pegboard and each student could have their own hooks. Make it work for you!
Attachment

Crazy3

Chick a Boom tree
Old 10-28-2014, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Made this for my classroom using mostly reclaimed materials. Sorry the coconuts from the top are missing. Made with styrofoam balls, chopped spanish moss glued to the balls, and spray painted brown. Attached with hot glue.

Crazy3
Attachment

TchMe

3-Drawer Paper Storage
Old 10-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I created this by beginning with a regular 3-drawer Sterilite storage container. I removed the drawers and spray-painted the frame green. Then I added some scrapbooking stickers and letters to make the drawer labels. This has helped me to stay organized. I put papers in each drawer that need to be graded, copied and filed.
Attachment

bookbadger

Job Board
Old 10-30-2014, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I created this job board using ceramic tiles, a backing board, and square dowels covered with trim (the kind used to cover paneling). The dowels covered with the trim create a "T" channel for the tiles to slide between. Each night I slide out the bottom kid's tile, which drops all the names down one spot, and drop the removed tile into the top slot to match up with the top job. I used sharpie markers to write the names and the jobs. The job tiles can be slid and changed also, but I don't ever move them. I just wanted a quick way to change jobs and my inspiration was one of those tile calendars.
Attachment

GiantSubs

What creativity!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I love those of you who transformed the chairs into beautiful works of art!

VivianCP

Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

All these things are terrific! I am not very crafty but really enjoy seeing everyone's creations. Maybe it'll inspire me!

bookbadger

Contest
Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Thank you for the prize! I love the contests and it is so fun to see everyone's creations. Thanks again!

GraceKrispy

Old 11-08-2014, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

What a great thread! I love all the creative ideas on this thread Congrats to the winners! ljones, I *really* love your clock!