Help

Daily 5

Daily 5 without choice

>

MrsWok

Daily 5 without choice
Old 06-27-2015, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are any of you too much of a control freak to allow choice in the daily five? I'm a new teacher and I tried to allow choice in my first classroom and they were out of control the whole year. I know I didn't implement it correctly and that was my fault due to just lack of experience. I'm planning for next year and considering doing the rotations but assigning them their rotations. Is this a terrible idea? I just want more control over them this year.

MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-27-2015, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not a terrible idea at all! I've subbed in several classroom where the rotation was set. They had their choice of books when they got to read to self and read to someone, and it was fine.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Maybe controlled choices?
Old 06-27-2015, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have to follow the reading and writing workshop models, so I can't do Daily 5. But when I do word study centers, I give them 2 of my choices. Would something like that work? Assign them, but give a choice within the center. For example, for read to self, they can read at their desk or pick a smart spot in the room. For writing, they could write a book review or a summary. For word work, choose a word work activity.

I am a control freak, too, but found the buy-in is better if the have some choice. Good luck!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-27-2015, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've never given rotation choices that I can remember. I don't even remember that being a requirement of D5. If it is, I missed it.

I do like a PP and give choices within boundaries. I do that with everything, though.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Choice
Old 06-27-2015, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the controlled choice idea. You can just make a requirement - they have to go to read to self 5 times a week, word work 3 times a week...etc. Then if they're old enough, they can keep track, or you can keep track on a check off sheet. I used a check off sheet in 1st grade.

You could also try assigning rotations the first half of the year or so, and then give choice the second. Work up to it. Remember, every class is different. Some classes can handle choice better than others. I'm a firm believer in choice in D5 because I've seen it work with 6 year olds, and if it can work with them, I think it can work with anyone! That said, I do think the choice should be controlled, within reasonable limits.

yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

VeraB

Read to Self First, Everyone
Old 06-27-2015, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The Daily 5 was new to me this year. I had read the first edition years ago but it was the details in the second edition that convinced me to try this model. We graphed our daily stamina and my first graders took pride in remembering when they had only lasted for 10 seconds! We discovered that "Pick a good spot" was the most important decision that anyone could make to support themselves so we added that to our charts. That will go on the top of the list next year.

I did not give them much of a choice on the first round. Everyone in the class did Read to Self at the same time. We did it first and we did it every day. At the beginning of the year I loaded their book boxes with familiar fairy tales so everyone could read the pictures even if they couldn't read the words. Later, I sometimes gave them a choice between Read with Someone and Read to Self for the first round. At the end of the round I always asked them to show me with fingers on their chest how they would rate themselves on each of the steps. I also did that faithfully when we were practicing building stamina for Read with Someone and any time that I felt like we needed the reminders about what was expected.

I assigned the partners for Read With Someone because my understanding is that the research says they should be on the similar levels. (We have different partners for many subjects and they change several times a year.) Knowing who the partners would be also meant I was not pulling one partner away for a reading group. I had a small class and a teaching assistant so I tried to be cognizant of how I balanced their independent reading practice time and teacher time.

We did three rounds a day. For the second and third rounds, they chose among Read with Someone, Working with Words and Listen to Reading. Most of my students learned English as their second or third language so Listen to Reading was valuable for them. I never did the writing because we have writing workshop every day. Some would have happily picked writing but maybe because I was new to D5 I did not want to take that on as another variable. I wanted them to be reading in some form or another.
VeraB is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 06-27-2015, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the great tips! I definitely want to I implement it just want to make sure I can manage the classroom well. What about having other center type activities like literacy games that I've created? Is there a place for that anywhere?
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

I give limited choice
Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Each day the students select their first round. For round 2, they must do an opposite choice e.g., if they did Read to Self or Read to Someone for Round 1 they must choose Work on Writing or Word Work for round 2. If I have a 3rd round they can choose either of the remaining choices. The only exception is that Read to Self must be selected every day. If they are repeatedly skipping one of the choices then I tell them what their choice is. I have also made a rule that all 4 "activities" must be done before they repeat one other than Read to Self in the past and the kids haven't complained.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I varied it based on the student. I required Read to Self and Writing everyday and had four guided reading groups. Students had a weekly sheet indicating when I planned to meet with their group. Some stinkers would not figure in the need for their guided reading group ( despite my daily reminder that they needed to fill in Read to Self and Writing before planning listening, for example ) and by the last round didn't have their writing time in. So, when that happened repeatedly those kids were assigned when they needed to do writing each day so that they could get in all the required.

I would say I had controlled choice because of some scheduling, but there still was choice for some of the rounds. I think you need to do what is most within your comfort zone so that the rounds are productive for everyone.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

crazyeights

I tried some choice this year
Old 07-04-2015, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

for the first time--they could choose from all 5--however I picked the group coming to me. I also do writers' workshop but for work on writing, students mostly wrote in their journals. I did not start this until we had all 5 parts down--then I slowly added it in. It has been a process and certainly not perfect, but they did seem more motivated and loved choosing. Everyone knew that they had to do Read to Self every day and I did remind them if they hadn't been to one of the choice rotations. I kept track on a D5 sheet on my clipboard--

This year, I am looking forward to doing more of the strategy groups (heterogeneous) and less guided reading groups (homogeneous). Not perfect, but I did notice that they really enjoyed "picking" where they could go next. This was a first grade classroom.

crazyeights is offline   Reply With Quote

21stcteacher

Great modifications
Old 07-19-2015, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There are a lot of great modifications listed in response to your question and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work. My only suggestion is that you try to include some choice for your students. With my own children, I have seen first hand the motivation that comes from having choice in their schoolwork, whether it be book selection, project choice, or collaborative groups.
21stcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Daily 5 Choices
Old 07-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I didn't read the responses so someone might have already mentioned this. Last year my class was not good about making choices, so I took away the choice of center and assigned them, but I gave them choice within the center itself. So in work on words there would be four or five activities to choose from. In listening to reading they had their choice of books on cd, or listening on the computer. At work on writing they could choose from using white boards or writing paper. Read to self or someone they chose their books but also chose what they would share in their journal about the reading, favorite character, the setting, the problem and solution. Maybe you can do something like that, a choice within the center.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

globalgirl

Limited Choice
Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm not so much a control freak as someone who just can't handle that much going on. I have to have some control or I start to forget things. It's a terrible trait for a teacher, I know. :P Maybe if I had older kids, or in a few years I will let them choose.
I know the 1st grade teacher only lets them choose their first one (they only have two D5 rotations a day, the other is guided reading), so they really only make one choice.

I schedule which group is doing what rotation, but within that I try to give them as much choice after that. They can choose what word work activity, or what story to listen to, or where to sit for R2S.

When I plan my rotations, I put one more active activity with a calm activity. For example, Group 1 will be doing R2S and Group 3 will be doing Word Work, while Group 2 works with me at the Guided reading table.
Or I might have listen to reading and handwriting going on (Handwriting is our "work on writing" rotation for right now).

I might be moving up to 2nd or 1st next year, and if I go to 2nd, I'd like to do more choice, as well as more of a CAFE style reading lessons, at least every other day.
globalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote