Help

Paraprofessionals

Would this irritate you?

>

galwaygirl172

Would this irritate you?
Old 09-03-2016, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a pretty rough day yesterday after about 5th period. A student was disrespectful to me, but that wasn't the big thing that ruined my day. After my planning period, I was approached outside of my office by the math case manager/co teacher. Please note that I am not a math aide, I am an English aide.
She tells me that two of my students in 6th period told her I'm not paying enough attention to them and that I am paying more attention to this boy named Robert. She then begins to kindly condescend me and tell me everything I need to be doing for them because they are used to having their hands held.
I told her that I have been doing my best considering I do nothing but get on to them for distracting each other and not doing their work. I am actually convinced they are mad at me for this, which is why they went to her like that.
She then says that I am just new and they aren't used to me and that they just want her. Blowhard much?
I left it at me saying I will speak with the teacher about the situation.

Here's the thing: she doesn't see me in action. She's the math co-teacher. She isn't there to see what I do. She approached me based off the word of these two kids who aren't happy with me threatening to separate them. I probably do spend more time with Robert because he can't read! It's kind of hard to read to someone outside of the classroom since he has ADHD while also trying to help the non -sped kids in a very large class while trying to make those kids do their work. In hindsight, I am thinking that the teacher isn't exactly walking around as much as I am.
Even still, my teachers thank me for what I do almost everyday. They tell me I'm doing fine.

But it really bites when someone who isn't even around you on the day to day tells you you basically suck. It's hurtful.
It was also my birthday. I did the baby thing and had to step out of art to cry a little.
I feel like I do the best I can at this job. I just got their accommodations Thursday morning. I was basically flying by the seat of my pants on what these kids needed me to do. And it doesn't help when they treat class as social hour and aren't telling me themselves that I'm not doing what I need to for them. Perhaps they don't know and they just found someone familiar to tell.

I have also realized that the teachers aren't exactly following that accommodations guide. Some of these students need chunked assignments or extra days to complete it. They aren't getting that and I'm not the one who can enforce it. So I'm caught in the vortex of ignorance or something.

My adaptive behavior para boyfriend in the same school district told me it has a lot to do with the area we are in. Very small town, backwoods. Age=experience. New people versus the people who have been there for a few years. I may be doing fantastic in the eyes of my teachers, but to someone with this aforementioned mindset, I'm just a noob. And it sucks.

galwaygirl172 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

whoa
Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You may want to talk with both teachers together, and ask for a more defined plan of your job responsibilities with that group. Your responsibilities may simply be to provide accommodations to each as needed. Be specific about which accommodations each student is entitled. In the case of general directions, it is ultimately your call as the lesson unfolds. You might be there for three students, but one may ultimately need more assistance. It could also be that you are providing one child with too much assistance. That student may be displaying learned helplessness. Either way, a reflection of your duties from the teachers you are assigned to work under should help. Don't be afraid to respectively tell them your observations or concerns.

Since there seems to be a co-teaching arrangement in that room, it may be that one of the teachers can help provide extra support to the students who feel neglected. It may be that the students may be using you as an excuse for their performance in class. They might feel entitled to more help, not understanding just what accommodations they are entitled to. Students do not always understand why another student may get what they see as more help. There are so many things that can be going on here. Their teacher may need to talk privately with those students to help them understand your responsibilities to them.

Also, being an English para assigned to a math class should not affect your responsibility to students you must work with. If you are to be a math aide without the title "math aide" then go for it.

As for "backwoods", age=experience, the para job has changed for most paras as educational processes have changed. It is true that teachers sometimes have to really get a feel for how to use paras in the most effective way. This is especially true in the beginning of the school year as teachers are getting to know their students and aides. It is true that in smaller schools, especially ones with fewer special educational needs, paras may small in number, so they are stretched beyond their individual job description. I worked for years as a special education para, but was really used as a classroom para. The budget got cut severely and all classroom paras were reassigned as special education paras, and were not replaced as they moved on to other jobs. Please, don't kid yourself into thinking your boyfriend's philosophy is correct. It is very insulting.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 09-06-2016, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Accepting the word of students without varieties is asking for trouble. Kids distort the truth to make their lives easier frequently. The teachers need to monitor situations they observe personally. That gives them plenty to do.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

galwaygirl172

Old 09-07-2016, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just to clarify, I only work in English classes and one chemistry class, not math. The math co-teacher is who approached me. I do not work with her at all in any way, shape, or form.
I spoke with the English co-teacher about the situation. She agreed that any verbal discipline or concern should have come from her or our boss, the special ed director. I also spoke to the teacher the two tattle tales belong to. We spoke with them privately, telling them if they need help, they need to ask either one of us because we can't read minds.
I suppose it is just growing pains, but it really was a crappy situation.
galwaygirl172 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Oh good
Old 09-07-2016, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds like everything is settled!

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote