Help

Paraprofessionals

Classroom Management question

>

Ivy_32

Classroom Management question
Old 09-12-2016, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I have been working as a substitute para and sub teacher for 3 years. I take my job very seriously and work extra hard for every teacher. I recently went on an interview for a permanent para job and was asked this question "How would you deal with an out of control class?" I responded that I would follow the classroom management guidelines that were set by the teacher. I was not hired because I got a low score on this section of the interview. I have the opportunity to interview again with the district next month, how can I respond next time? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ivy_32; 09-12-2016 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Ivy_32 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

maybe not qualified to answer, but...
Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a former para, I would say that your answer is how I might have responded.

Looking at the question, the class is already out of control. If the teacher were implementing his or her behavior management system, the class should not be out of control. While it is not the job of the para to manage behavior, some behavior management programs, such as PBIS, say every stakeholder is to be involved in behavior management. I am not sure to what extent that should be in the case of a para working within a classroom. As a para, I usually quietly reported to the teacher when I thought a student needed a consequence. Paras have to be careful with this though, because students will quickly get the idea that they don't have to listen to the para. If the para goes overboard implementing the behavior system, the teacher may feel they do not have the control they should have. For this reason, I generally tried to let the teacher manage behavior, and I managed the accommodations that I was supposed to give to students I was assigned to work with. At different times, I have given students "the look", shake my head no, or other visual cue to warn them if their behavior is inappropriate. Other times, I have talked with students. If the behavior is extreme, it needs to stop immediately. That would then be a personal call on para's part, but if the teacher is in the room, the teacher is usually very aware of the behavior and takes care of it anyway. Sometimes, the teacher and I had an understanding that I was to implement the behavior management system equally.

I really do not know how you should have answered this question.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ivy_32

Old 09-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! You are very qualified to answer, actually. I should have asked if the teacher was in the room. If so, I would follow the teacher but if I'm by myself (as in the teacher had to leave unexpectedly) I would use the classroom management strategies myself.

Last edited by Ivy_32; 09-12-2016 at 12:12 PM..

seenthelight

Old 09-12-2016, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd come up with my own strategy and then mention that I would run it by the teacher first to make sure it did not conflict with their style. As a teacher, I had a para that left the discipline to my discretion. It often ended in instruction being interrupted for me to handle relatively minor behavioral transgressions. As for completely out of control, think of two scenarios as you formulate your strategy:

1. For reason xyz, you are alone with the kids.

2. For reason xyz, the teacher must not be interrupted for any reason.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Ivy_32

Old 09-13-2016, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much!