Fourth Grade

Fourth Grade Post-a-thon!

>

Linda/OH

Fourth Grade Post-a-thon!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Fourth Grade teachers!

Tell us: What is something you teach every year in fourth grade that you particularly look forward to and why?

I'll start.

In the fall, usually October or so we go on a nature hike behind our school where there is a field and wooded trail. We call it a "haiku hike" based on the Scholastic fourth graders Haiku Hike. My students take clipboards, pencil and paper. The goal is to get outdoors and observe mother nature! We return and brainstorm ideas for a class poem. Then students write their own using the haiku formula. We type them up and display them in the hall. Sometimes I compile them into a class book too.
So motivating!

Another of my favorite traditions is a biography project at the end of year. Students read, research, complete a timeline, tri-fold display and become the person by dressing up and delivering a speech to the class. It's a great way to keep up the motivation at the end of a school year

Last edited by Linda/OH; 09-17-2016 at 12:25 PM..
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

4th grade is the best!
Old 09-17-2016, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like the science unit we do on electricity and magnetism. I also love the word clouds I do for the end of the year. I have all the kids write something positive about each classmate. I use abcya's site to make the word clouds. I put the kids picture on the same page as the cloud and hang them in the hall. They love looking at them
Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

New to 4th
Old 09-17-2016, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm new to 4th grade this year but have done a vocabulary project with my previous classes (5th grade) that I am planning to use with my 4th graders. The project covers the Graeme Base ABC book Animalia. The illustrations in the book are amazing and I love having my kids research the different pictures to figure out exactly what it is. An example from the A page is - there is a snake on the page but the kids know it has to be a type of snake that starts with an A so they have to research what type of snake it could be. I think so far the most A things on the A page found have been 169.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Crayfish
Old 09-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

4th Graders love those little critters. I think they are slimy but after a few days my students make me change my mind.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suzanne

Great Question
Old 09-17-2016, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

After 32 years, mostly in fourth grade, this is my final year before retirement. I'm planning on having it be a "Best of..." year. I'm going to do all of my "favorites," especially the ones that I haven't done because of ridiculous demands placed on us!

I love doing a class musical from Bad Wolf Press. I will certainly do one in May/June.

I have also enjoyed doing a biography project whereby students read a biography, then get together in groups of 5 or so to write and produce a "talk show" with each of the famous people represented. (Each student writes the questions and answers to their questions).

I love to spoil my class, but have always felt self conscious about it as I don't want other teachers to feel threatened. I do not have children of my own, so these are my kids. I have a beautiful class this year and will spoil them rotten. Ha ha!

Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote

opal4

Favorites
Old 09-17-2016, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I always look forward to doing our Number the Stars novel unit. I really enjoy sharing this story with my students. Watching students discuss story events and themes is like seeing them grow up before my eyes. I am always inspired by their compassion and insight.

I also love sharing my love of sentence diagramming. (Yes, I am a proud nerd!) Some (most?) of my students couldn't be bothered, but some seem to catch my enthusiasm!

The thing I look forward to it in Math every year is creating our geometric cities. I always hated Geometry when I was in school, so I guess I have worked harder to find fun activities and make it something that I enjoy teaching.
opal4 is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

post a thon
Old 09-17-2016, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not teaching currently, but when I taught 4th, I always enjoyed our Colonial Days we did at the end of the social studies unit on colonial times. I planned different activities that kids would have done then and we did stations. Good way to bring in parent volunteers and was a fun was to celebrate.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

20+Teacher

Local History
Old 09-17-2016, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I always enjoy teaching our local history unit, and walking to the local museum.
20+Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In part of the 4th grade Social Studies in TX, the students learn about TX history. My favorite activity involved choosing a character that would have been at the Battle of the Alamo during the TX Revolution w/Mexico. Each student researched and learned about that character. On the assigned day, each student came to school dressed as that character and able to tell 3 important facts about that character. To help them feel comfortable dressed as an 1860's character, I, too, chosed a character and dressed accordingly.

Our school would have all these Davy Crockets, Jim Bowies, Santa Anas, etc. at school all day. When they would express feeling silly on the bus dressed in costume, I would remind them that those people died at the Alamo in order for them to have the freedom to dress in their characters clothes.

My classes told me that was their favorite part of 4th grade.
Catdog12 is online now   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 09-17-2016, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach ELA and I love teaching poetry! We are currently writing BioPoems, but one of my favorites is the preposition poems they write each year. I love to see their creativity!

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

Favorites
Old 09-17-2016, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our students take a drown-proofing class at a local pool. We use it as a springboard for journaling. I am amazed at the enthusiasm the writing project generates.

I teach at a Catholic school. Every year the fourth grade students research a saint and produce a poster project. They also dress as the saint and share a bit of information in front of the church congregation on All Saints day. Nerve-wracking for all but so cool to see their hard work come together.
trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

Teaching
Old 09-17-2016, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Tell us: What is something you teach every year in fourth grade that you particularly look forward to and why?

Hmm...Nothing really comes to mind as a favorite. I do like to teach writing, and wish I could teach it all day long...
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

arctichare

Recipe for Cybercitizenship
Old 09-17-2016, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I enjoy teaching students about being a good citizen on the internet. We usually do a Recipe for Cybercitizenship where students write out what ingredients are needed to be a good cyber citizen, like 3 cups of common sense and 2 tablespoons of good manners.
arctichare is offline   Reply With Quote

crownjewel

Iditarod
Old 09-17-2016, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I look forward to our Iditarod study each year. My students each choose a musher to follow throughout the race. We check their progress daily and students move their musher along the race route. We also take time to do research on our mushers.
Former students love to see the race route in the hallway and reminisce
about the musher they followed in 4th grade.
crownjewel is offline   Reply With Quote

readtoou

New York State project
Old 09-17-2016, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Every year we teach the students about the different regions of NYS. We then assign groups of students a region. They research the region for tourism, farming any specific landforms etc. Then as a group they get design their region and create a tourist brochure. It's always great to see the enthusiasm of the students as they put the project together.
readtoou is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

post a thon
Old 09-18-2016, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Wow! This is an incredible response. I am taking notes and will return to this list as the year goes on.

Fourth graders are the best and so are fourth grade teachers!!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Turkeyrun

Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Yes indeed! I love the silly little holidays and would do the whole day's lessons based around the 'holiday'!

This particular day I dressed in full pirate costume--the students all wore pirate hats for the day (they even wore them to lunch and pull-outs), which I provided. Gave every student a brand new Pirate pencil to start the day! Every subject was taught according to the standards but totally theme based. Examples: First we used technology to find our Pirate names and made new name tags for our desks--had to use the new names for the whole day. All math word problems and math stations around pirate adventures, I had Language Arts stations that day, again pirate themed--some I have designed and some purchased from TPT. Always read Melinda Long's Pirate stories and had appropriate activities following the story. History was easy--reading about real pirates and then combining LA skills in writing their own Pirate stories, have to admit, science was my weakest subject but always managed to come up with a lesson, usually involving water! I played a cd of Pirate songs while doing our lessons. I made a couple of 'pirate' snacks to enjoy during the day (have to love Pinterest!) and ended the day with this cake that I made every year.

OH! Almost forgot--I would start the day dressed in my full Captain Morgan costume in the wee hours driving 45 minutes to Krispy Kreme, and back again, to get my free dozen donuts to give to all the teachers, to start their day!! ARRR!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Turkeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote

EMO109

American Revolution
Old 09-18-2016, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We teach NYS history, which I enjoy regardless, but the favorite unit is always the American Revolution. The kids get so interested in it and there are so many fun activities that you can do with it. My favorites are reading novels based in the time period and researching a topic and creating a poster teaching about it.
EMO109 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

State history is a favorite for me as well.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I used to really love teaching NYS history since NYC was started by the Dutch. I loved being able to make connections to how NYC is today.

I still enjoy teaching state history, although it is not as interesting as New York's.

I also enjoy most of the topics we have in Science, but I really enjoy teaching physical science the most.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

hiny808

McCaw School of Mines
Old 09-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We study Nevada History in fourth grade and culminate one unit of study by going to the McCaw School of Mines. The students love the vicarious experience of going in a mock mine as a miner and panning for gold. They even get to take home some real gold flakes.
hiny808 is offline   Reply With Quote

BellJ

Favorite 4th grade unit
Old 09-18-2016, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I really enjoy teaching mythological allusions. My students really love reading myths and discussing Greek and Roman gods. At the end, we try to create our on allusion. It's usually a lot of fun!
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

State History
Old 09-18-2016, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

In my state, 4th grade is State History year! All of our social studies lessons are about our state - geology, geography, natural resources, early explorers, early settlement, Native Americans, government, agriculture, business, culture, etc. We do many projects while we study each aspect of our great state. At the end if the year we open the '4th Grade State Museum' to friends and family. The students dress up as tour guides and give guided tours to all who attend.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

QueenBee118

If I Were Trapped in a Snow Globe
Old 09-18-2016, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I do this opinion writing bulletin board in January.
Attachment

QueenBee118 is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee118

Suessisms
Old 09-18-2016, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Last year was the first time I did this, but I will be doing it again. The students read a Dr. Seuss book and change the title to match its theme. The lesson came from here http://www.teachinginroom6.com/2014/...-dr-seuss.html
Attachment

QueenBee118 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

game
Old 09-18-2016, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

One of the ways we build community and positive collaboration is to work together to build the tallest tower with spaghetti and marshmallows. I forgot what it's called but it was very popular 3 years ago and we have continued this activity. The kids love it and everyone is engaged at all times.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

missteaching

Electricity
Old 09-18-2016, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I especially enjoy teaching our science unit on electricity. It is always a pleasure to see my students' faces "light up" (sorry, couldn't resist) with fascination.
missteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan2012

History
Old 09-18-2016, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I enjoy teaching state history. The first people and the Gold Rush.
Susan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

CJS87

Animals
Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

We create units on animals- incorporating all content areas! The students love animals in the Elementary grades so it is very enjoyable for them and it creates lots of discussion!!
CJS87 is offline   Reply With Quote

kbunch147

Awesomeness!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

That is so so so cool! I hope to do some serious spoiling my 32nd year, too! Your kids are lucky!
kbunch147 is offline   Reply With Quote

kbunch147

Iditarod
Old 09-19-2016, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We followed the Iditarod for the first time last year, it was so cool! Do you pay for the teacher resources? I follow Dallas on facebook (at least I think that's who I follow).
kbunch147 is offline   Reply With Quote

chanrowl

Old 09-19-2016, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I like teaching about Native Americans in Social Studies, particularly when we get into looking into each tribe.

I like teaching fractions even though some of the kiddos really have difficulties as we get into the more complex areas.

I love doing the read aloud Wonder. It's embedded in our curriculum, so I enjoy doing characterization and inferring with it.
chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Post a thon
Old 09-19-2016, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I loved teaching science units and my favorite was on force and motion. Students designed and built cars, then conducted several investigations related to Newton's Laws of Motion.
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 09-19-2016, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I love teaching figurative language, especially idioms. It's such a fun unit, and there are so many fun things you can do. I also enjoy poetry.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherbug

Old 09-19-2016, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I love to read and to instill a lover for reading with my class. At the end of the year, we do a "How-to" book report. I love the variety of projects the kids do.

I've also enjoyed teaching Virginia state history and doing a notebook with it.

This is my ninth year teaching, but my eighth year in the fourth grade.
teacherbug is offline   Reply With Quote

4leaves

Iditarod too!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

We have a great time following the mushers each year!
4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

anamachara

Very Inspirational
Old 09-20-2016, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Love all these wonderful ideas!

My new challenge this year is incorporating one-on-one technology into the classroom. I have started using Digital Readworks, as well as Epic. It's amazing to see how excited the students become about reading, simply by adding the technology component. I think it just proves that no matter how long you've been teaching (for me, it's over 30 years), there are still new and wonderful strategies and lessons to introduce into your classroom. (Looking forward to creating Power Points with the students later in the year!)
anamachara is offline   Reply With Quote

Mhiag

Plays
Old 09-21-2016, 12:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I agree with the biography project and any type of play. The kids love it!
Mhiag is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmom

Maryland History
Old 09-21-2016, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I love teaching 4th grade social studies! With all of the emphasis on "core" subjects, I love being able to have fun and be a little creative with our Maryland History units.
ajmom is offline   Reply With Quote

crownjewel

Owls in the Family
Old 09-21-2016, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Love reading this book with my class. We dissect owl pellets. Almost
every 4th grader loves it……also can dissect online which is pretty cool too.
crownjewel is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

My unit
Old 09-22-2016, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

On the Oregon Trail is a hit. We have a simulation/game that is fun and creative. Each year my students say that was their favorite thing!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

tea:)

My favorites...
Old 09-23-2016, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

---I love teaching the math. I enjoy building their previous knowledge and setting the stage for 5th grade.

---One of my favorite units was an engineering lesson. The students had to design a "flying" object using a CD and a balloon. It was a tie in lesson to a Growth Mindset unit. The students had a blast! Many of them designed other flying objects from home using other materials.
tea:) is offline   Reply With Quote

CJS87

Katluv
Old 09-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Oregon Trail is still around? Where is it?
CJS87 is offline   Reply With Quote

prestolj

Old 10-15-2016, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

To Katiuv:
could you share your game ideas? I know our social studies teacher is reading this book...I would love to incorporate it in with her kids in my reading class...
prestolj is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Enjoy this year!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Good for you! Enjoy the year, clean out your cupboards early, and get ready for never ending weekends! Retirement is awesome! I taught 40 years with 10 in fourth grade!
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Cubs2win1

Cubs2win1

4th grade teacher
Old 11-24-2016, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

For MANY years, I've had a monthly class breakfast. We vote on a day -usually the last week of a month- menu driven, of course, and make a note in our agendas-for parents. We eat a school breakfast together, as a class.
We made simple (well, some are pretty fancy, with sport themes, or whatever the current trend has been)placemats during the first week of the school year, and I laminated them. The kids found all kinds of breakfast pictures to make into signs - also laminated.
The afternoon before the breakfast I lay out the placemats in the school cafeteria and post a sign on our classroom door (in case someone needs us).
The kids always comment on being lucky to eat with their classmates. Not everyone eats a school breakfast, but those who forgot (ate at home) still sit with us.
It's a good time to get to know my students.