Help

Paraprofessionals

I don't get the people I work with

>

galwaygirl172

I don't get the people I work with
Old 10-11-2016, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was moved into a freshmen English class a few weeks ago. The teacher isn't the nicest person. She doesn't let me take my severely ADHD student out even though her class is rowdy as hell.
When I started in there, I told her I may need to sit down sometimes because my back gets achy. Note that 3 years ago I had a herniated disk that was not treated. Although the pain went away, I still get achy. Can't help it.
Said teacher told the principal's secretary that "I cannot walk around because I have a back injury." My words got super twisted. The secretary told me that maybe this job isn't for me because of the walking or maybe I need doctor's accommodations.
I explained that I haven't been that bad in a long time and that the teacher must have misunderstood me.
I am just baffled. I'm so tired of these implications that I cannot do this job.

galwaygirl172 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-12-2016, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You must guard what you say about your health in the school setting. We have modifications for students, and the Americans with Disabilities Act is supposed to protect employees too, but in many cases it does not. Anyone can experience back discomfort after hours of bending over desks, standing on concrete too long, and not being free to move about as necessary. Its okay to say it gives you a backache bending over desks, but not to tell them you have had back trouble. Instead of pointing to your back as the problem, indicate that you need to be eye level with the student in order to make the student and yourself most comfortable while helping. There is no reason you can't move around, mixing it up with standing and sitting. The main thing is not to plop yourself down in one spot and stay there.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote