Help

The VENT

I saw a unicorn..good PD

>

Kinderkr4zy

I saw a unicorn..good PD
Old 07-27-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had a presenter yesterday who was actually good. It was a behavior management PD and it wasnt on some new latest and greatest fad model that we all have to implement tomorrow. It was all realistic, usable, and based in either 1, common sense, or 2. brain research-but not the kind that takes research and then does a leap with it-just good old facts like we need to get their blood pumping - or the primal brain in panic mode can feel threatened and react if you make your body posture large and face them.

OH and she said repeatedly-caring about kids and supporting their behavior means we hold them accountable, there must be logical consequences.

And the presenter was engaging and...dare I say funny in a, these are real things kids do, they sure are weird and hilarious right, sort of way funny. Ya know-teacher funny

Not everything she said was new to me. In fact a lot of it is stuff I already do-but I am considered stronger with behavior and I wasnt one of the people who kept putting behavior and consequences down on district surveys about what kind of PD we think we need. Some stuff was ideas that I used to use but then, over time stopped doing-then I thought...why did I stop doing that when it was effective and it is supported by what we know about the brain. I will go back to doing them and extending their application.

For example posting pictorials of routines and expectations. I always used to do this, especially when I taught K, and I still have a few, but I kind of stopped doing it over time when I moved to third. Part of that was needing all new pictorials and not wanting to print them, but the district said they would print them all for us, and the Super (who stayed and watched the whole thing) bought some of the speakers premade pictorial sets for the sites to have.

And we know that for most kids, visuals are more effective than verbal explanations that require more information processing. And it prevents the, "I cant admit I was wrong or let you correct me in front of my peers", attitude. pictures are also less threatening-I knew that. Duh, why did I stop doing this more effectively?

She also acknowledged the importance of your poker face and she gave people techniques for getting a better one. people were pretty excited by this alone-I always thought this was something you either have or don't have, like it cant be taught. Apparently it can be taught. I know poker face is HUGE and I think if more teacher could keep their face from showing irritation it would go a long way.

She went over some deescalation stuff that gen ed teachers dont usually get- like positioning yourself to the side and slightly low without eye contact and limiting verbals to deescalate. If you have gotten sped behavior training and crisis management this inst new-but gen ed teachers are seeing more of the same behavior so its great for them to hear that same good info.

It was useful, especially for those that struggle with behavior. It was practical with easy (if a little time consuming to set up) to implement ideas. Everyone was able to take atleast a little something from it. And most of all-I feel good about being told to try and implement this something we learned.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 07-27-2019 at 03:16 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I meant to post this to the busyboard sorry

javamomma

Lucky you
Old 07-27-2019, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Anytime you gain something valuable from a Pd it is a miracle. To have actually enjoyed one, WOW!
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-27-2019, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you send that PD to my district??!!
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Who was the presenter?
Old 07-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd like to look up her info or website. I'll steal from anyone who makes sense.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-27-2019, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Her name was Grace Dearborn.

Lakeside

Old 07-27-2019, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That sounds like a great PD!

I watched the clip on her website, and I'd love to hear more.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-27-2019, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sounds like very valuable pd. Thanks for sharing the source.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Unicorn, indeed
Old 07-27-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I loved the part about: logical consequences
We need her at our school so badly.
Unfortunately, our district has hit some major cuts over the last few yrs and our PD's are usually just some teacher who is pushing an agenda for the principals.
I long for the days of PD's that even remind me of past things I have forgotten about that were fun or worked, even if I learned 1 new thing I was so happy. I went to a math one once and came out w/ 4-5 very fun effective new ideas about 7 yrs ago.
I left a district that pd big bucks for excellent PD's ( presenters) every yr. They were some dynamic speakers with excellent ideas. They were so good that teachers were ramped up , ready to start a new year, with lots of new ideas.
I never knew exactly how good I had it...I loved my old school, but family is more important and I know this place has given me a lot of personal growth. Learning to have patience w/ morons who have never taught, but who want to tell us how we need to teach their way.!
Summerwillcom is online now   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Grace Dearborn
Old 07-27-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We had Grace Dearborn, too! She is INCREDIBLE. She did a PD for us on engagement. It was a treat to have her last year.

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 07-27-2019, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love a PD that gets me excited about teaching. It doesn't have to be something new, like you said. We all have tools in our tool chest that we haven't pulled out in a while. Sometimes we just need that reminder to pull it out again and try it with a different group of kids. This sounds like a fabulous PD experience!
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This sounds interesting. We’ve been asking for this type of PD but never happens. Ours is always common core or Galileo type stuff.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 07-28-2019, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I’m such an idiot. I saw the title of the post and thought “I Saw a Unicorn” was the title of the PD and did a Google search for it.
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Kinder
Old 07-28-2019, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thank you for posting! I just ordered her book and will be watching for her PD near me!
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 07-29-2019, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I often seem to get these little hints at PD to be most helpful.

I would love some hints on the poker face!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote