Help

Teachers' Lounge

Wedding Shower Question

>

tatapatch

Wedding Shower Question
Old 07-30-2019, 04:11 AM

Good Morning!

So my school always gives a shower when someone gets married or has a baby. One of my friends is getting married in September and she has stated that she really just wants money for her honeymoon (they're going to Disney) because her fiancee already had a house and they have everything they need.

So.. any ideas on how to go about something like this? Every shower I've ever been to they wanted household stuff, so...

tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Money tree
Old 07-30-2019, 04:20 AM

Have those that want to contribute give you $ before shower. Then display in the picture. Finally celebrate the bride to be at her shower.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-30-2019, 04:59 AM

I personally think it's rude to ask for money. Yes, some automatically give it and I have in the past, but it shouldn't be expected.

My thought is to get something as a group. Not sure how many people you have at your school, but could you get a nice chair/bench for the yard or something for the house that's more of an extravagance than a necessity.

I have been thinking about this too.
With many getting married later and ready having established a household stuff I got at my shower, what do you get? Most are not opting for fancy China either.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-30-2019, 05:04 AM

We've done things like that. You could send out an email or or note that says something like "Brian and Sally have everything they need to start their life together. If you'd like to contribute to help them make some special memories on their honeymoon, there is a collection envelope in my mailbox."
(That's not worded real well, but you get the idea.)

Then collect the money, write them a check, and present it in a card at the shower.

I know there are many strong feelings about that. It doesn't really bother me, especially for a work shower. Why would I want to spend my $$ buying things they don't need?

ETA: I actually like when our school does a cash collection. So easy. It's become commonplace. Might not be super personal, but it is a work shower. We don't spend forever watching someone open gifts. And there are a few people who give a more personalized gift.

Last edited by PEPteach; 07-30-2019 at 05:36 AM..
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Go for easy..
Old 07-30-2019, 05:17 AM

I agree that its rude to only ask for money without other gift options. But since thats what she did then it would be awkward (rude?) to ignore the brides wishes and give gifts. So...buy a nice card and collect money from the staff. Its a lot easier to contribute money instead of buying gifts and wrapping them. Your staff will appreciate easy.

MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 AM

Weíre going through this with my sister- she wants just money, but we also feel itís rude.

Honeymoonwishes.com is what sheís using. They can set up excursions for the honeymoon. So for instance, one of her friends bought her a wine tasting excursion. She has things like snorkeling, dinner cruise, massage, or even just dinner at a restaurant.
UVAgrl928 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-30-2019, 05:27 AM

I was going to suggest a honeymoon site, too. Once she puts her trip together on it, people can choose to give to activities or souvenirs for the trip. I donít know how they work for Disney, but I imagine they are integrated somehow. It does seem better than just asking for cash.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

DRV

Disney Gift Card
Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 AM

You can purchase a Disney gift card online. People might be more willing to donate to a gift card rather than handing out cash.
DRV is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Do a collection...
Old 07-30-2019, 06:00 AM

Showers at our school were getting out of hand with each grade level buying an expensive gift. Many times, the bride might be someone you barely knew, or an aide you did not work with.

I liked it best when we passed around an envelope. You could give as much or as little as you want. Someone from the social committee would then buy a larger gift from the person's registry. In this case though, since the bride only wants money, I would take the money from the collection and get a Disney gift card or an Amex, VISA or Mastercard gift card that could be used for anything they wanted on the honeymoon.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 AM

When I was a travel agent, my franchise had a honeymoon registry that friends and family of the bride and groom can contribute to. Some people have gotten their entire honeymoon paid for that way. This is perfect for those who have all the household items they need, but want I nice trip for memories.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-30-2019, 01:36 PM

my teammate got married this summer. We had a collection for $ (no one knows how much or how little anyone contributes) and a quick celebration at a staff meeting. It was snacks and a quick presentation of a card with the $. Then everyone has snacks during the meeting.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-30-2019, 02:43 PM

There was a time when I thought asking for money was quite rude. Now that Iím older, I guess I just donít care anymore! My school usually passes a collection envelope. People can contribute if they wish, or not. No one knows how much you put in, so give a little or a lot.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-30-2019, 02:54 PM

I've seen the tree thing done at school showers but preferred just paying my thirty dollar dues per year and having the committee contribute to the tree. The constant collection of extra cash donations was annoying after awhile.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote