I'm on this guy's side - what do you think? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I'm on this guy's side - what do you think?

>

forkids2

I'm on this guy's side - what do you think?
Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 AM

This article I ran across this morning started my day with a smile (thankful that there are kind, good-hearted people in the world) and more than a few tears as well. I'm on this guy's side, even if he did break the law - what do you think? His sister wrote this obituary for him:

https://www.knoxtntoday.com/gary-bean-stole-your-dog/

forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

A smile and a few tears
Old 08-17-2019, 04:17 AM

Thank you for sharing.

The comments below the obits are moving too. One said "Now THAT is a legacy." So true.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 08-17-2019, 04:30 AM

Iím on his side, too. May or may not have done something similar.
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 08-17-2019, 04:33 AM

I understand why he did it but the dog was chained outside during the day. Maybe everyone was working. Just because he was chained to the picnic table does not mean the dog was being treated poorly. I feel bad for the family who had their dog stolen. It could have been a childís pet.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 AM

I read that about the dog being skinny and I got the impression he passed by more than once and the dog was not being treated well.

noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Love it
Old 08-17-2019, 06:30 AM

Thank you for sharing
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Old 08-17-2019, 06:33 AM

Maybe this is regional, but around here (MA), it would NEVER be acceptable to chain your dog outside while you are at work. Dogs stay inside here and just go out to play/walk/potty- usually with an owner.
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-17-2019, 06:43 AM

My dog is tethered outside right now. She loves it out there. If I bring her in, she wants to go back outside after a few minutes. She does have a lead so she can go back and forth in the yard. She likes to come in after dinner and stays in.

I can't leave her loose because she will run. I was never able to break her of that. At my other house our fence is high enough but here it is not. I would be very upset if someone thought she was uncared for and took her because of that.

I think he was wrong - it didn't sound like he saw any actual abuse, only the dog chained out.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-17-2019, 06:48 AM

I'm with Kahlua on this one.

When we had a dog we trained her not to run. Every once in a while she would want down a few houses either direction. I called her the neighborhood slut

Anyway, we are watching our DS's dogs while he is on a work assignment overseas. We don't have a fence. We have a 15 foot lead for each dog. They are not left for hours unsupervised, but they love being outside and don't mind being on the lead.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Op
Old 08-17-2019, 07:12 AM

My impression was that the poor dog was neglected and he rescued him. I'm interested in different perspectives though and they give me pause for thought. I'm going to reread the article.

forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 08-17-2019, 07:41 AM

I love the love that this was written with.

I had a dog stolen/escape off a lead in my yard. (I think stolen)

This made me think of my dog and smile and hope he had a great rest of his life with a man like this. (Yes, I was heartbroken when it happened and I missed him terribly. But, I have to think he had a better life. I gave him everything a single, young, teacher could give him. He was a great dog)

So I must say, this brought a smile to my face and some love to my heart. Thank you, I needed that today.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Chained dog
Old 08-17-2019, 09:24 AM

A dog left chained outside is vulnerable to any loose dog or other animal that may want to attack. Or thief who wants to sell the dog (often to research labs) or use it as bait for dog fighting. Yes, that happens. Many animal trainers say a chained dog is more likely to become defensive (due to his inability to escape a threat) and develop aggression problems. A sturdy and tall enough fence is a much safer solution.

No dog should be allowed to run free. That is unfair to the dog AND to those of us who want to walk our properly leashed dog in public areas without being molested or assaulted by loose dogs.

That said, I would not have done what Gary Bean did. Where I live, there are rules about how long a dog can be left chained outside. I would probably call Animal Control if I observed the rules were repeatedly violated.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-17-2019, 01:47 PM

I think this was a beautiful tribute to a man who saw something wrong and fixed it. Maggie was loved, and I bet he was fatten up!
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-17-2019, 03:03 PM

He had good intentions and I can't ignore an animal in distress. That being said, I would try other avenues before I would just take the dog. It's hard to know exactly what the situation is if you don't know the people involved.

The one time I've been in this situation, I just went and spoke to the people. They had a young doberman and they clearly couldn't handle the situation. Come to find out about it, she had been dumped on them by a relative who said he'd come back and get her in a week and then didn't. They were overjoyed when I told them I'd take her off their hands. I was prepared to threaten to call the humane society if they didn't change how they were treating her.

She was one of the best dogs I've ever had.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote