Help

Special Education

Gardiner Scholarship Question

>

MagnumArts

Gardiner Scholarship Question
Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question about becoming a provider through the Gardiner scholarship program in Florida. For those unfamiliar with this program, it provides eligible students a scholarship that can be used to purchase approved services or products in order to design a customized educational program for the student. Scholarships can be used for specialized services such as speech or occupational therapy, instructional materials, tuition at an eligible private school, contributions to a college prepaid account and more. The program is directly administered by state-approved nonprofit scholarship funding organizations.

To be a provider through the program requires a DOE certification which can cost $2,000 to obtain, a complete non-starter for me, as well as taking a very challenging test. I am providing art as therapy and drawing classes to special needs kids at educational co-ops, and some parents are practically begging me to be a provider through the program so they can enroll their kids, using the arts to help with cognitive and emotional issues.

I have been teaching drawing and the arts for over 10 years in 3 states, and would love to help serve this educational segment. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this program that would allow me to be a provider without spending two grand? Thanks to everyone who read all this and can offer some insight!

MagnumArts is offline   Reply With Quote