Help

Special Education

Question about SLD pull out kids

>

checkerjane

Question about SLD pull out kids
Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you provide the work or do they bring their classroom assignments to you for assistance?

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I plan the lessons for that time. If there's a really big special project going on in gen ed, I might offer to work on that with kids in my room. However, I've gone away from doing even that in recent years as the expectations for data/progress for students with IEPs has risen exponentially and I just can't afford to waste time muddling through gen ed projects as opposed to teaching them to read. Sometimes I'll offer up one day.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 09-23-2019, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I’m confused and frustrated with about 1/4 of my kids - not the kids, but the situation. They are perfectly capable of doing the assignments that their peers are doing if they have modifications and/or come to me for assistance with them.

rwinters

Old 09-24-2019, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I only work on IEP goals. For larger projects, I help with materials if modifications are needed and in a pinch finish the project.
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-28-2019, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I personally feel like it's not a very good use of my time to just help kids muddle through gen ed work. If they can truly do it with only accommodations, I wouldn't pull them at all and would instead send a para into the classroom. If that's the case though, I'd also start to question if they really still need the IEP/still qualify as having a disability.

If they need modifications, I would think it would be a better use of time to provide more direct instruction on whatever they need modified rather than spending the time modifying the work for them, if that makes sense. For example, if they can answer reading questions if the questions are read aloud to them, that's great, but I'd want to spend my time directly teaching decoding/fluency skills so that they could start to access the material themselves. I guess I'd need more information about what specifically you're modifying, but I'm not sure I can think of a case where it would be better not to spend time in direct instruction if modifications are needed for a subject.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 09-28-2019, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I personally feel like it's not a very good use of my time to just help kids muddle through gen ed work. If they can truly do it with only accommodations, I wouldn't pull them at all and would instead send a para into the classroom. If that's the case though, I'd also start to question if they really still need the IEP/still qualify as having a disability.

If they need modifications, I would think it would be a better use of time to provide more direct instruction on whatever they need modified rather than spending the time modifying the work for them, if that makes sense. For example, if they can answer reading questions if the questions are read aloud to them, that's great, but I'd want to spend my time directly teaching decoding/fluency skills so that they could start to access the material themselves. I guess I'd need more information about what specifically you're modifying, but I'm not sure I can think of a case where it would be better not to spend time in direct instruction if modifications are needed for a subject
I have five kids who I’ve given grade level work with modifications when they come to me. They’ve all been making 80s or higher on it.

seenthelight

Old 09-28-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

GenEd teacher here. In our state, kids in resource still take the regular state test for their grade level. Only a select few that qualify for self-contained take a modified assessment, so when our kids are pulled out, they are working on grade level appropriate work with accommodations and scaffolding.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

work
Old 10-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do pull out resource. I work on their IEP goals. They work on grade level work in the classroom. Iím in a small school this year. All classes have a full time special ed para in them. Thatís who helps them in the classroom. If they have questions about that, they can ask me.
Iím trying to get my kids reading, writing and understanding math-meeting their individual goals.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote