Help

Career Decisions

I can't afford to stay in teaching

>

mrteacherguy

I can't afford to stay in teaching
Old 09-29-2019, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm in my seventh year as a teacher, and I'm strongly considering about applying for jobs outside of teaching.

Partly because in the short time that I've been a teacher, I've been on the receiving end of way too much disrespect from students and parents alike; and the districts themselves don't seem to be doing much to support us when it comes to treating us like professionals or paying us appropriately. Which leads me to my second reason for considering getting out: my wife and I can't afford to support our family.

I was running the numbers, and even assuming I had no debt other than my student loans, I couldn't afford to support myself as a single person on my current salary. The cost of living is just too blasted high. That's to say nothing of the high deductible health insurance plans that are the only ones the local districts are offering.

I wish I didn't have to do this, but with the work itself losing its luster and the financial stress that comes with it, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

Not Alone...
Old 10-02-2019, 02:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am with you on that! I have been teaching for 8 years now and I have been trying to transition out from teaching for a while now. I am in mid thirties, and yet I still have to share the living space with a roommate as I cannot afford to rent an apartment all by myself. I also have a ton of student loan debt so that adds even more financial weight on my shoulders. Frankly speaking, I work for one of the best districts in NYC, but even with all that, at least to me, teaching has become the stress of my life. I hate going to work feeling anxiety to the point of passing out. I think you should do what you think is best. if leaving teaching for good is the way to go, then go for it. I am sure you will be able to find something decent that pays decent. This is exactly what I am doing.
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 10-04-2019, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hear you with the disrespect aspect, but I knew that one going back into teaching. If it wasn't for my husband, we wouldn't be able to pay bills with the salary. Definitely if they pay is something that is not supporting you/your family you need to find something else. For me ,the only way to make more $in teaching is if I went into admin and I don't have any desire to do that. Is admin something that interests you? Are there other jobs within your school system that pay higher?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote