Help

Special Education

This is not cool

>

checkerjane

This is not cool
Old 09-30-2019, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A kid who is on an IEP for ADHD has been a handful since PreK. He was placed on an IEP in kinder with adaptive behavior goals. He’s now in 3rd.

Since then, it’s been sporadic meltdowns - spitting on teachers, hitting other kids, running out of the building, turning over tables and chairs when he doesn’t get his way, you name it. It’s happened. This year, it’s been weekly. And for the last several days, daily.

We did an FBA and a BIP a couple of months ago saying he’d be sent home if he has a meltdown (tantrum) that he can’t be talked down from. It has the antecedents and all that good stuff, but that’s the consequences jest of things.

Anyway, I was informed that from tomorrow onward he’s in my room 100% of the day for his behavior. He has been coming to my room for an hour in the afternoon.

Mom is okay with it, and his IEP is being amended.

This is not okay. This is a disaster. He can’t even leave my room for lunch. The only break he has where he is outside of my room is recess. He’s going to be like a caged animal.

So, now I’ve got this behavior issue, my non verbal autistic kid who bites, scratches, and is LOUD, and my pull out SLD kids I’m supposed to serve.

Last edited by checkerjane; 10-01-2019 at 03:28 AM..
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

NOT cool
Old 10-01-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well isn’t that nice? They dumped him on you. You are the babysitter. I’d pitch a big fit. This is not the placement for this kid.
Sounds like he needs a 1:1 instead. It’s not right to take learning away for all of the kids in your room.
These decisions are supposed to be TEAM decisions. What are you supposed to do when he has a melt down? What’s in the plan now? Your students need their service minutes too. It doesn’t sound like you were invited to this meeting. How convenient!
Meet with your principal. Look at the new and improved BIP, 🙄 for the consequences, document your concerns. The parents of your other kids, hopefully, will complain too.
This is a bunch of crap and they know it.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 10-01-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
This is a bunch of crap and they know it.
Totally agree, and I'm so sorry it's happening to you. It sounds like he needs a behavior-support classroom (duh), which would be less restrictive than placing him in "lockdown" in your room. How awful for you, that student, and the others in your program.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Re evaluation
Old 10-05-2019, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When is his 3 year re evaluation? This sounds like way more than ADHD. This sounds like Emotional Disturbance. In my experience, the comorbidity of those two is HIGH.

Documentation is your friend. Have your paras make quick notes, too. Yes it is a PITA but school districts always love to play the “you’re making it all up” and “you’re just impatient” cards. They can’t if you have multiple reports from SEVERAL people. This is not the right placement for this child.

In the mean time, I know it sounds like a broken record, but see if you can take even 2 minutes a day to build a little rapport with him. We call it a 2x10...2 minutes a day for 10 days. Some examples:

Quick convo during morning work
Check in throughout the day
Ask about his favorite part of the day
Ask about weekend
Ask him to help with a task, even if you don’t need it done
Give a compliment even as simple as “thank you for listening”

Hang in there. We know how you feel! Come here whenever you need!
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Goodness
Old 10-05-2019, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So, what was the reasoning for putting him in your room 100%? The tantrums? Was the BIP not being adjusted? I'm assuming it was being followed with fidelity, but I could be wrong.

What do the parents and admin expect you to do? What happens when his behaviors escalate? Does he still get to go home? Is that what he is wanting so he amps up the behaviors?

This just sounds like a ludicrous solution to me.

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote