Help

The VENT

On the verge of tears

>

twinangels

On the verge of tears
Old 11-05-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It took everything in me to keep from crying in class today. New reading curriculum thatís way over the kidsí heads, a pacing guide that would make the road runner faint, little to no transition time in an already tight schedule, and so many behavior issues. Iíve been teaching 24 years, and I keep telling myself it will get better. But each year, they just pile on a little more. I can normally push past all this, but itís just so overwhelming. I did come home and have a good cry... my poor little dog is cuddled up next to me because she can tell something is wrong. I just feel so hopeless right now.... wish I could retire.

twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote

maliamaya

I can relate
Old 11-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can totally relate to you! I just had a big vent session to my team mate today! I feel like I have to be everything to everybody! It helps me to come on this board to see that I am not the only one. Hang in there!
maliamaya is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 11-05-2019, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so very sorry. It does become stressful. I am right there with you...except I did cry when my students were at special-something Iíve never done before and I am also a veteran teacher. My tears were school and some personal issues combined.

We are human and can only handle so much. Take care of yourself and hug your dog. They are great stress-relievers!
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 11-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím sorry youíre feeling so overwhelmed! We all feel that way at times.

You need to give yourself some leeway. Decide what must be done, what can be skipped, or combined. Nobody will notice, certainly not your kids. Theyíll be fine. New curriculum - just do what you can, not all of it. If youíre feeling this stressed, Iím sure your students are as well.

Kids need transitions - make it fun sometimes. Iím not sure what grade you teach but Iíll play a quick song and weíll dance to our spots (or move as your favorite animal). I find humor works well with kids with behavior challenges. Also, try to do something fun that will make those kids look forward to school - I do art with pastels or paint.

You probably know all this. PM me if you want. (((Twinangels))
KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

teachsph2008

Agreed
Old 11-05-2019, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just do what you can do. Of course you will still work very hard and there will be some stress. But it shouldn't be to the degree that it makes you want to cry. We do all of this work and collect data and most of it is never acknowledged.

teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tears
Old 11-05-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh sweetie, I remember some of those days. I would go to another teacherís room and bawl. She told me ďyou can only do what you can do. They will have other teachers. So pick what you want to do, and screw the rest.Ē

Kind of gave me permission to let a few things slide now and then.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Ah!
Old 11-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hugs! What reading curriculum?
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Tears
Old 11-05-2019, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Iím sorry. Iím also a veteran teacher. I dream of someday being able to retire too. I probably wonít be able to though. Things seem to keep getting worse in education. Thatís why thereís such a shortage now. Youíd think that would be a wake up call to those who make all these dumb decisions. Nope.
I didnít realize how good things were when I first started.
Now kids donít seem to care if they ever learn to read. They just want to play. Play video games mostly.
The parents donít seem to have their priorities straight either.
I wish I had some words to help you feel better. Cry when you need to.
Canít imagine what education will be like in another 25 years. Scary
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

twinangels

Old 11-06-2019, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for everyoneís encouraging words. Today was better, but itís because I slowed down and spent a little more time on the reading lesson. According to the pacing guide, Iím two days behind now, but I really donít care. Iím stressing myself and the kids out! I realize that if Iím going to make it another five years, I need to just do what I know is best and get marked down on my observations for not being where Iím supposed to be. Itís Wit & Wisdom reading curriculum. Lots of missing standards and weíve been told to just ďsqueeze those inĒ where we can, but they wonít adjust the pacing guide. It is what it is.
twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote