Help

Special Education

Gen ed teachers (sorry, long post)

>

newbie17

Gen ed teachers (sorry, long post)
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone else having major problems with gen ed teachers? I'm a resource teacher that teaches three grades and only one subject for the first time. My other years in resource I have taught both math and literacy for just one grade level, so there have been some changes this year.

In years past my teachers have always come to me with questions or worries and I've always done my best to help them. I have always tried to support them and have told our admins that we need to do more to support the gen ed teachers. This year they aren't communicating with any of us resource teachers, rather they are going to the P or sped supervisor or their admin friends at the admin office. I'm at a loss!

Just last week I had gen ed teacher telling me we needed to start serving a child so we don't get in trouble. It had been 3 days since the meeting and the child was not going to attend the subject in question due to a class party, an assembly and a field trip, plus we have 30 days to implement an IEP. I told her we were working on scheduling (every teacher we have is maxed out so scheduling is insane) and to send the child during the only time I knew his sped teacher would have any space as a short term solution. I also told her to keep in mind that it could change once we had schedules rearranged to accommodate the student. Well this made her mad and instead of just saying that she had a problem with my solution she went to the P...who supported me 100% because there is literally no space in anyone's schedule at the moment. This of course did not please the gen ed teacher.

I have also had teachers question what I, and the other resource teachers, are doing in class. A few have looked at the computer system we use to monitor student activity to see what their students are doing in our classes and then questioning why they would spend their special ed time on computers. My answer, of course, is that the programs they are using are part of my data collection and I also use academic technology when doing my special ed testing. Otherwise I rarely use tech because I enjoy the interaction with my students and don't want them looking at a screen if I can help it. The room has to be quiet when I'm doing my classroom testing (which has to be done one on one), so learning "games" or programs that provide work on the student's level are used to give the tested a student a fair opportunity to do their best.

I'm very annoyed that I'm being questioned. I only have 5 years experience, but I also have a master's in special education and I have been highly trained in my subject area so I know what I am doing. My coworkers each have over 20 years and also hold master's degrees in sped. Our classrooms look nothing like theirs, and our techniques wouldn't work in their rooms any more than theirs work in ours. Why can't we just be trusted to do our jobs? We all have data to prove our methods are working, even if others think them different or odd. Is anyone else having issues?

newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

The one thing you
Old 11-09-2019, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

cannot control is other people.

Quote:
This year they aren't communicating with any of us resource teachers, rather they are going to the P or sped supervisor or their admin friends at the admin office.
As long as the gen ed teachers are getting answers, comfort, and/or other validation from these other folks, and those folks are allowing it, it won't end.

Someone (?-not sure who) needs to remind the gen ed teachers that they need to approach the appropriate SpEd or case manager first. Can you send out an email reminding them? Can you ask the SpEd directors too? I really don't know the answers.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie17

Old 11-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are so right that we can't control others! I need to remember that the only one I can control is myself.

I will ask our P or sped supervisor if she can send an email or maybe have the P discuss it at our next faculty meeting. We've had a lot changes this year and I think the gen ed teachers are reeling. That's why I've been advocating for more training for them. I don't want my coworkers feeling any more overwhelmed than they already are.

I've also thought about asking if my director and I can present some pd for our gen ed staff. I'd like to show them, as a group, how to implement accommodations and modifications.
newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm on year 10 and IME this is always a tough part of the job. I work with 12 different gen ed teachers. There are bound to be some tough personalities in the bunch, and no matter what I do or what decision I make, someone is mad about it.

This year we have a lot of new teachers in the building and the "accusatory questioning" hasn't been that big of a deal because of that, but they are also going to the reading interventionists with questions and concerns rather than me in many cases. The interventionists do work with some of my kids during the grade level intervention block, so while it's not inappropriate to seek their input, these people have no sped knowledge or training and are often giving out incorrect information.

They have the ability to attend things like grade level data meetings as they teach a whole lot less than I do, and I think the teachers just end up getting more comfortable with them because they see them constantly. And if a child isn't making progress, they just pass the buck onto me- "Oh, poor you, that child should have an IEP." Or if the child does have an IEP, "Why isn't the sped team looking into another placement?" If the interventionists would also communicate with me, it might be a better set up, but they don't. They enjoy the role of "authority" they get in the building. The other day I caught one of them telling the gen ed teacher she was going to make some activities for MY sped para to do with the child in class. Luckily the teacher knew I'd already given the para things to do and said so.

In your situation, I'd try telling those people (P, sped director) that it would be really helpful if when teachers come to them, their first question be, "Have you talked to the sped teacher about this?" rather than just giving the information. I'd be concerned that your bosses also might be thinking that you're just not giving out the information, and I'd want to make it clear to them that you want to communicate more with the teachers and are trying to do so. They may be thinking the teachers are coming to them because they can't get answers from you.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Gen ed
Old 11-26-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just had one today-I was questioned about providing services to a student. Fortunately, I keep records and document everything. I keep a calendar specifically showing when I see students, when they are absent, have a field trip, testing etc etc.
She still said she didn’t see me pulling the student out of the classroom. No, I actually come IN the classroom. What does she think I’m in her room for? So then I referred her to the objectives. I gave her the whole copy of the IEP, and highlighted it for her. Oh, yes she asked the special ed director first. Again fortunately, she wasn’t worried because she knows I keep good records. But this took up time today that I didn’t have. Why didn’t she ask before now? Because it’s annual IEP time.
I’ve been teaching for 24 years! Don’t try to question me, just do your own job. I don’t question her.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-26-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I may have been that gen. Ed. teacher. I understand that you have 30 days to implement the IEP, but don’t ask me to sign something that says that a child received minutes that they did not. It makes me nervous.

This year I’ve dealt with saying ”We need to...” ”We NEED to...” ”You know, we really NEED to...”, and nothing being done. Then suddenly, ”OMG, we haven’t...and we need to...” cue everyone running around like chicken’s with their heads cut off.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote