Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Apple computer question

>

CZMOM

Apple computer question
Old 12-13-2019, 07:27 AM

We are going to be purchasing a new laptop very soon and I was wondering if it would be better to do so now or after the holidays. I would like to get the newest version. I have an Apple Pro which is about 6 years old and it's my understanding that it is not updated anymore. Besides that someone (and I won't say who), may have accidentally spilled a cappuccino and caused the keys to stick. Rather than fix it we will be getting a new computer. Any advice on when is a better time to purchase a new one would be greatly appreciated. I dread going to the Apple Store but intend to buy it there. TIA

CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 12-13-2019, 08:37 AM

Buy it now. There is no difference in price after Christmas. Apple only discounts when new models come out.

Make an appointment. Bring your teacher id because they do have special educator pricing. Bring your old computer. Make sure it is backed up before you go. You may get a trade in credit for it and they can transfer your apps and other data to the new one and then wipe your old one.

The new laptops are so lightweight!

I am somewhat proficient in Mac but I always play my incompetent little old lady act when I go to the Apple store and they are very accommodating to help me
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-13-2019, 12:25 PM

It sounds like you are interested in purchasing the most recent MacBook. I know my Apple store hesitates to tell us exactly when new products will be released. If you do a Google search for MacBook release dates you won't get a clear answer. You could call your local Apple store and see if they will tell you about the next MacBook release. I do know that there are no sales on MacBooks. You may be eligible for an educator discount or other discounts. One Apple Genius we dealt with was able to offer us retired educator discounts.

HiFi is one of the Apple gurus here and he might have some suggestions for you.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

NoMorePencils

Old 12-13-2019, 01:16 PM

Be sure to ask about Apple Educators Pricing! You can save a lot!
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop
NoMorePencils is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

Old 12-13-2019, 02:03 PM

I got a refurbished Macbook Pro instead of a new one at the Apple Store. It serves the purpose and was much cheaper.

jks is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Check Best Buy daily
Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 AM

When I purchased my MacBook Pro I got a ridiculously good deal from Best Buy. At the time they marked only certain models down for only a day and rotated each day. I don't know if they're doing it again, but they claim today it's the lowest price of the season. And usually Best Buy sales prices beat out any educator's discounts from Apple.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote