Help

National Board Certification

C3 video 2 opinion

>

minnie2019

C3 video 2 opinion
Old 12-13-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am ESL. First video was w 2 students in first grade, and I did word study.
In the 2nd video I want to do small group (6 students), and cover at least 3language domains (listening, speaking, writing) but it seems a lot to stretch in 15 minutes. So I need an opinion. Should I focus on only 2 domains, and go in depth with these two domains, or try to showcase more domains, and different strategies during the video?
Also, I feel like students cannot meet a content and a language goal in 15 minutes.
How did you guys decide on what to focus in your videos? So much to showcase, in so little time

minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ESL isn't my cert area, but my advice is to let the learning goals/objectives you set for the lesson determine how much time you allot for different teaching strategies during that lesson.

Remember, you get to explain how the part you chose to showcase in your video fits into the lesson as a whole. Instead of looking at it as "how can I cram as much as possible into a 15-minute mini lesson", look at it as "how can i prove that i put together a good lesson that fits my unit, and then select the best 15 minutes to support it."
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Thank you
Old 12-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great advice. I will plan backwards.

Sargon

Old 12-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did ENL for adolescent/young adults and recently received a 4.0 on C3. I think one thing that helped me a lot was that the type of instruction was very different in each video. The types of students and types of goals were very distinct. I also chose video segments that started with one activity and showed a transition into a related activity. That helped me make sure each video did have all domains. You SHOULD try to showcase as much evidence as possible. The trick is to start your video focusing on student performance in one task and then transition to another. I think the pattern i followed in both videos was activity with me giving feedback ó> direct instruction ó> activity with me giving feedback. So thats like 5 min. of the end of an activity, 5 min. instruction and 5 min. beginning of the next activity. Remember that you can contextualize the video segments in the writing, so you really should start in the middle of something that shows students engaged and you giving feedback.

I recommend following the rubric really closely. I actually had recorded and written about two other videos and then redid them after i realized how they didnt really match up to the rubric, and Iím so glad i did. I didnt do that with another component and got a much lower score. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat with another ESL person about it.
Sargon is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 12-15-2019, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sent you a long PM.

Zia

Old 12-15-2019, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
The trick is to start your video focusing on student performance in one task and then transition to another. I think the pattern I followed in both videos was activity with me giving feedback ó> direct instruction ó> activity with me giving feedback. So that's like 5 min. of the end of an activity, 5 min. instruction and 5 min. beginning of the next activity.
This is one way to structure it, but not the only way!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sargon

Old 12-16-2019, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Nope. Thatís just what worked with my style.
Sargon is offline   Reply With Quote