Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Friend who posts everything!

>

Katluv

Friend who posts everything!
Old 12-17-2019, 06:30 PM

My friend (who was actually a student of mine way back when) has Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat. I swear between the 3, she posts 20 pictures with comments a day. Most of them are of her two kids and how awesome, beautiful and intelligent they are but she’ll post about her lunch, illnesses and anything else she can muster up.

She went through the district I teach in and we live in a small town. She’s kind of become the butt of our lunchtime conversations. I love this girl but I am about to hide her posts.

Should I or could I say something to her about this annoying habit? I just want to say...NO ONE CARES.

Last edited by Katluv; 12-17-2019 at 06:54 PM..
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 12-17-2019, 06:48 PM

Oooh, that's a hard situation. On the one hand, I'm assuming that she'd be embarrassed if she found out that people were annoyed by her oversharing and would like to know that it was annoying. On the other hand, there's not really a tactful or kind way to say it, is there?
Do you think there's a chance she's lonely? Do you have a read on why she's putting it all out there.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

No
Old 12-17-2019, 07:01 PM

Don’t say anything. It won’t end well. She just an attention seeking person. Hide her posts and your life will be easier.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 12-17-2019, 08:12 PM

Hide her posts. You may not like them but others may appreciate them [thinking of distant family/friends].
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

I had to hit snooze
Old 12-17-2019, 08:43 PM

On someone from work. Really nice person but she overshares. She’s even posted emails sent to her by admin.

Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 12-18-2019, 02:27 AM

You want to say NO ONE CARES but obviously you do care. It is not in a positive way, but you do care about it.

Mind your business. If you don't like it mute her. It is not your place to dictate to her how she posts because you decide to be on a social platform that includes posts of others and you have her set up so that you see her posts. If you and your lunch buddies didn't have FB you wouldn't have a clue about this.

Maybe you should consider in this time of kindness not talking about someone else and making them the butt of your lunchtime conversations and show a little kindness and less judgement of her and her posting choices.

I will once again say, if you DO NOT CARE why are you all talking about her and getting annoyed by something you DO NOT CARE about?

I think this is less of a problem about her and more of a problem of those in the lunchroom.

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 12-18-2019, 05:05 AM

I hide people who constantly post on social media.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 12-18-2019, 06:13 AM

I think we've all noticed that, even on other places where people can post things.

Look up "why some people post a lot on facebook, etc" . It explains their needs to be noticed, gain sympathy, validated, perceived as having a wonderful life when they really feel they don't, and various other reasons.

In the past, I've found it very beneficial to post a pleasant reply/comment, then hide them or totally skip over/ have no reaction to their posts. It's very liberating once we can do that.

She is not going to change her need to be noticed, so let her continue to seek the attention she needs. Other readers are bound to notice it, and let them be the ones to be drawn into her needs. I imagine there are other readers who have already hidden or ignore her posts.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Hide them.

People can do whatever they want on their own social media, and there is no way to bring it up without making yourself sound like a jerk.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-18-2019, 08:24 PM

If its something major I would click a like, otherwise either just skip past it or unfollow her. That way she is still your friend but you can't see her posts.

That kind of thing drives me crazy too. "Its been a busy day today and I am tired, so heading to bed early." Yep, who cares?

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote