Help

The VENT

Burnt out...need ideas

>

NewCAteacher

Burnt out...need ideas
Old 12-24-2019, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Happy Holidays everyone anyhow, Iím feeling burnt out on teaching. I feel that it is taxing my mental health. The SPED paperwork nazis, lack of resources to do my job well, massive caseload which takes away from my neediest students, parents with unrealistic expectations, admin always pinning us as whiny liars as a cop out for not doing THEIR jobs. Then there are those kids with huge behaviors who are very draining to work with...though that doesnít get to me the way the other nonsense does.

For those of you who have left or know people who have left, what jobs are you/they in now? Iím just curious...also, I wonder if the stress is lower.

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-24-2019, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of my dear friends was a SPED teacher. She was an EA for years before that. She lasted 10 years as a SPED teacher and then just couldn't do it any longer. She moved into teaching Art and enjoyed that a great deal the first year. The second year she was in a different school, and the 3rd year moved back to the school she loved. It was not the same and she retired after the 3rd year. She loves art, it was just all the extra "stuff" that teachers deal with. Behaviors, admin, observations.... She is happily doing art and selling it now as a retired teacher.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

In the system, some jobs are easier
Old 12-24-2019, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

than others, but nonsense is easier to tolerate when you can take a bathroom break when you want and don't have a classroom or big caseload to deal w/. There are a couple of jobs at our school that are a piece of cake, but they are temporary. Probably the easiest job is that of the speech pathologist in our school.
Other jobs are limited here, but I have a friend who quit and became a caseworker and loved the job! She works with families and does stuff like getting them set up w/ resources they need and a ton of paperwork.I don't think I'd like it, but she said it was so much easier than teaching. She taught for 20 yrs before she switched.
Another friend used to work for a place that helped DD kids. She'd go to homes to model how interact w/ children to the parents and kind of check up on the well being of the kids. Most of her time was actually "travel time."
The 2 above jobs both started w/ about the same salary as a beginning teacher, but both were stingier w/ raises than the school system. Best wishes and good luck in finding a lower stress job!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

caseworker job
Old 12-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I have a friend who quit and became a caseworker and loved the job! She works with families and does stuff like getting them set up w/ resources they need and a ton of paperwork.
How did she get a job like that? I'm always looking into other options.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

inboxed you...
Old 12-24-2019, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

eeza..hope it helps It is not a bad job....

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

danalea10

Old 12-26-2019, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I left after almost 18 years and I work at a library now in the circulation department and I love it. I do miss teaching and I still haven't figured out what to do with all of my materials yet. I was burnt out for about 5 years before I quit. Best decision I ever made. I do not even have my teacher license anymore!!
danalea10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 12-27-2019, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our church secretary is a former teacher.
The school secretary at DH's school is a former teacher.
One of the custodians at DH's school is a former teacher.
An educational assistant at my kids' school was a former teacher.
The saleswoman at a local furniture store is a former teacher.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote