Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Real ID and Geting a Pasport?

>

MAsped

Real ID and Geting a Pasport?
Old 12-30-2019, 09:00 AM

If someone's about to get that REAL ID at the DMV in about another month, I know it's probably best to wait till after getting that to obtain a passport, but I don't have to if time's winding down and I want to start processing it, right?

How long is it taking these days to get a passport? 2 mos, 3 mos?

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 12-30-2019, 09:05 AM

I don't know that the order really matters. My experience in both getting and renewing my passport was it took about three weeks. You can go on their website and they will give you an estimate. However give yourself plenty of time because that can always change.

If you have not been married or changed your last name since birth then getting a real ID with your birth certificate( and other stuff) is pretty easy. All your documents must have the same name or show a legal name change.

If you have been married or changed your last name since birth it is easier to do it with a passport with your current name ( as long as all your supporting documents match the name). A church marriage certificate is not enough to show the name change. Apparently you need one from the state which I never had. However I have a passport and just got my real ID this month with no issue with the passport and other documents all in my married name.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Help me out...
Old 12-30-2019, 09:14 AM

What's a "REAL ID"? How does it differ from your driver's license?
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Renae
Old 12-30-2019, 09:27 AM

A driver's license will no longer be enough for TSA when traveling. Most states are now requiring more proof of ID, and issuing a licence with a gold star to note *Real ID. https://www.tsa.gov › real-id

Last edited by Coopsgrammy; 12-30-2019 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: correct web address
Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

My recent PP renewal took about three weeks
Old 12-30-2019, 09:34 AM

New York State has had "enhanced DL" for years, because we are on the Canadian border. So I already have my "real ID," which did not take any longer than a regular DL. It will get me in and out of Canada without a PP, but if I fly from and to Canada, I still need a PP.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Real ID
Old 12-30-2019, 09:37 AM

I was able to get my real ID by mail. I received a notice from Texas Public Safety and sent in my proof and $10. It took about 6 weeks to receive my new driver's license with a STAR.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I don't really know..
Old 12-30-2019, 10:26 AM

the last time I renewed my passport at the Hall of Records I over thought everything. I had double checked all my ID, and counted up the "points" that each ID were worth and made double sure that I had everything required. I arrived at the Hall of Records and both of the workers turned around and welcomed me with Hi Chipmunky! So, glad to see you, it's been a long time. So, what's new!

Yeah, so worth the anxiety.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-30-2019, 10:43 AM

When I renewed my passport it took about a month. If you have no specific plans for the passport anytime soon, I'd just wait. If you have a set travel plan where you need it soon I personally wouldn't want to be anxious about it and would get it ASAP just in case.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-30-2019, 11:11 AM

As previous people said, I don't think there's any need to do the real ID before the passport.

In my state, the real ID just became available this year. There are long, long lines for people who are applying for them at the motor vehicle offices. And a large number of people are finding that they are standing in line, only to be turned away because their documentation is incomplete. Particularly for women. Must have proof of address in own name (not husband's), as well a marriage certificate if using husband's name.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 12-30-2019, 11:56 AM

If you have a passport you donít need real id. I would get the passport and wait til my license expired for real id. Hopefully they will have worked out all the problems by then.

A passport is much easier to get. Check your local city hall. Many do passports. Make an appointment. I was in and out in less than five minutes. Got my passport in 4 weeks.

Dmv is a pain especially if your name on your license is not the same as your birth certificate.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Real ID - Passport
Old 12-30-2019, 12:07 PM

Order of getting passport and Real ID doesnít matter.

Actually January is a good time to submit paperwork for your passport. The Christmas travel rush is over and the summer vacation rush hasnít started.

When I renewed mine 3 years ago, I sent it off in the middle of January and had it before Valentines Day. A very acceptable turnaround.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 12-30-2019, 12:34 PM

Getting a passport and a Real ID do not go hand-in-hand. You don't need a Real ID to get a passport and you only need a passport to get a Real ID if you cannot find your Social Security card.

DW and I got passports last year and the hardest part was getting an appointment at the place we wanted to go (the Clerks office). Assuming all your ducks are in a row, it takes about 6 weeks for your passport and birth certificate to get mailed back to you (yes, you have to send in your original birth certificate (or a certified copy) with your application).
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 12-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Got a real ID in PA a few months ago. Took 2 trips to the DMV and I had to send away for an original birth certificate - they said mine wasn't good enough. It is much easier to get a passport - and then you don't need the real ID to fly, just the passport come October.
momteach310 is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 12-30-2019, 06:22 PM

We had our passports in about a month last year. We did not have the real ID licenses yet. We had to get new copies of our birth certificates and marriage license. The new birth certificates have the latest security features.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 12-30-2019, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the comments! The situation for me is:

Fiance' and I are traveling internationally THIS coming summer 2020 and getting passports for the very 1st time. I'll mk a passport appt soon for us both at our local library. (We're in California.)

Me - My DL doesn't exp for another few years, so I'm fine.

Fiance' - His DL exp Jan 1st and he has to take an eye exam at the DMV this time, so I figure he might as well get his REAL ID while he's there even though the REAL ID doesn't go into effect until mos after our trip.

The way timing is going, he's going to still have his regular DL WHILE probably while waiting for the REAL ID to arrive in the mail ALSO WHILE in the process of obtaining the passport.

Beach Glass

Passport confusion
Old 12-31-2019, 07:14 AM

Iím a little confused, but curious, about the comments re: passport appointments. No one I know has ever made an appointment at a courthouse, or anywhere else for that matter, in the quest for a passport.

Weíve always downloaded the application (in the old days we would pick them up at the post office), gone to Walgreens for the photo, mailed in all the paperwork, and a few weeks later, the new passport and sent documents would return. Weíve never gone to the courthouse or library. What is done there that cannot be done on your own?

MAsped

Old 12-31-2019, 09:04 AM

^ I never knew (or even thought about that) you can just send it in on your own. Is it still about $150 per person for the card and passport book? I want to make sure the photo taken is according to their standards and don't want it rejected because it wasn't the right way, etc., so since I don't have that much time anymore, I'll make sure it's done right at the library, which is the most leisurely facility I've found to go to for this.

Renea

I didnít know....
Old 12-31-2019, 09:14 AM

I just checked my license and see that I have a gold star do I guess I have a ďreal IDĒ. I didnít know. One less thing to worry about.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 12-31-2019, 11:29 AM

My current drivers license will expire in August of 2020. I already have a passport so I might not bother to get a real ID. Is it true that you donít need a real ID if you have a passport?
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Jazzer and MAsped
Old 12-31-2019, 01:43 PM

Jazzer, you are correct. As long as you present a valid passport, you do not have to have the Real ID.

People who plan to fly domestically may feel it is an easier option for them.

MAsped, in these days of digital photos, one does not have to worry about a passport photo being out of compliance as we did "back in the day." If a business, such as Walgreens, advertises they can take passport photos, you can be assured they know what they are doing. I must admit that, years ago, appropriate passport photos were an issue. (About 20 years ago, our local post office offered "official" passport photos, and many came back as being out of compliance. We opted to go a professional photographer route at that time.)

vttraveler

Old 12-31-2019, 02:14 PM

Check with your post office the last time I renew my passport they took the photo and sent in the application for me there. It didnít take more than a few weeks. Itís a little quicker if you pick up the application Ahead of time so itís all filled out when you go back
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-31-2019, 03:48 PM

While you don't need a real id if you have a passport, you may want to get one when you renew your license. My understanding is that either a real id or a passport will be needed in the future to enter military bases (if you don't have a military id card) and certain government facilities. And while your passport will suffice, it may be inconvenient to carry it.

I have a passport so I won't be renewing my license early to get a real id. But, that means when I travel domestically before mid 2021, I will need to bring my passport. If I apply for a real id before my renewal date, it will cost me $26.50 and only be valid to the original renewal date. If I wait the cost is the same ($61.50 for five years) whether I get a real id or a regular license.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote