Help

National Board Certification

Feedback Headache

>

teressawac

Feedback Headache
Old 01-02-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Below are the 2 feedback comments I got from C2. I am at a loss for words on what they are truly meaning. When I had my AP (NBCT) look over my C2 from past year and the feedback he stated he believed the first one is basically stating that I did the engaging activities but didn't explain in enough depth why I chose this activity and why the students did what they did.

On the second one, I am at a total loss. I guess I need to go in more depth on why I chose the follow-up practices for this particular instructional sequence.

Quote:
You may wish to provide clearer evidence of your own knowledge of the subject through instruction and assignments that develop individual student's abilities.
Quote:
You may wish to provide clearer evidence of insight on your future instructional practices.
For the instructional sequence for the retake, I am looking at doing adding positive and negative numbers. 1st instructional activity - pretest, 2nd - number lines, 3rd - red and black counters, 4th instructional activity - cards with the face cards taken out possibly partner or single activity,
5th activity - practice on paper, 6th activity final online assessment. I am looking to use the number lines, counters, or cards as two of my instructional activities. What do you guys think?

Any feedback will be appreciated, especially from anyone that has gotten a 2.5 or higher on the C2 for EA Math. I got a 2 and I am looking to get at least a 2.75 or higher on this one.

Last edited by teressawac; 01-02-2020 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: added
teressawac is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-02-2020, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
he stated he believed the first one is basically stating that I did the engaging activities but didn't explain in enough depth why I chose this activity and why the students did what they did.

On the second one, I am at a total loss. I guess I need to go in more depth on why I chose the follow-up practices for this particular instructional sequence.
I think both you and your AP are right on.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teressawac

Old 01-02-2020, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you, Zia. Now I can breathe a little easier and start working on this.

WhyHello

Old 01-02-2020, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i'm not EA math, but make sure to show how you differentiated for the students you're showcasing.

this isn't just about what you do with your class as a whole, it's about what you do to add pedagogical twists (for lack of a better word) to the lesson that hone in on the needs of the students you're supposed to be focusing on. you have to be able to define those needs precisely, and then be able to explain why you added the twists you added to an otherwise standard lesson about positive and negative numbers.

some students do better when they have key concepts posted in multiple places in the classroom, both in diagram and verbal forms. some learn better when manipulating things with their hands. some need to be reminded of key concepts more than others. what are the needs of your 2 students?

in short, let your knowledge of your 2 focus students guide the instructional decisions you make. it'll help you plan a better lesson, and it will also make your WC a lot stronger.

i'm not in your content area, but i did notice that your instructions for C2 warn against anything that's rote, instead recommending that you focus on reasoning skills. so another thing i would recommend is finding a way to make the learning activity more project-based, if possible.

good luck!
WhyHello is online now   Reply With Quote

teressawac

Old 01-02-2020, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

WhyHello thanks.

teressawac

Old 01-02-2020, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

WhyHello is this what you are talking about?

Quote:
i'm not in your content area, but i did notice that your instructions for C2 warn against anything that's rote, instead recommending that you focus on reasoning skills. so another thing i would recommend is finding a way to make the learning activity more project-based, if possible.
I plan on using the two sequence activities for my lower learners (using number lines and then moving them to the black and red counters) and then with my middle learners (using black and red counters and then moving to the red and black playing cards), and my high learners (black and red playing cards and then an assessment on paper). Also for any students that get a 100 on their pretest, I will be moving them to a Khan Academy activity online that has adding and subtracting with positive integers. Does this seem to be what you are talking about?

WhyHello

Old 01-03-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Honestly, it's all about whatever works best for your 2 focus students. Using the questions for your WC, will you be able to explain how those tweaks/differentiation targeted the needs of your 2 focus students?

Again, I stress that you have to show in-depth knowledge of your focus students, and then be able to clearly explain how the differentiated instruction you provided impacted their learning.

Keep plugging away!
WhyHello is online now   Reply With Quote