Help

The VENT

Unfollowing teacher Instagrams

>

NewCAteacher

Unfollowing teacher Instagrams
Old 01-04-2020, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently made the decision to unfollow SPED teacher Instagram accounts. I started following because I wanted to get ideas.

The problem is that I have issues with comparing myself. I can be sensitive. I know no one posts their failures on social media so I am not seeing full reality. These accounts often have lots of quotes that are intended to be positive and uplifting but I get down on myself when I read them. I recently saw one about how data should look pretty with neat little bar graphs and colors so parents donít think youíre lazy when they see it

Ok thatís all.

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 01-04-2020, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had to un-follow some teacher accounts on social media as well. One Youtube teacher seriously bought expensive stuff for her classroom every few days! She was also always at work or thinking about work. It made me very highly anxious. Good for you for doing what you need to do!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Good move!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I was teaching, I would look at the Pinterest perfect classrooms and know that could never be mine. My principal didn't value a lot of that type of cutesy, themed stuff, which was good, but the classrooms always looked larger than mine with better storage options, so I knew I could never achieve that look anyway. You are smart to remove them and do what makes you feel positive.

We had a beginning teacher years ago who had been a graphic artist first. She spent a lot of time obsessing over the lettering she did on her anchor charts, even when her mentor teacher pointed out to her that was not a good use of her time. She did not last the year because the stress she put on herself and in he previous attempt at being a classroom teacher made her physically sick. She left teaching. It was a shame because she had great promise, but was putting her time and energy into the wrong things.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 01-04-2020, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Smart decision! I need to do the same.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 01-04-2020, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I unfollowed anyone that showed themselves up dancing/singing/chanting on desks or doing individualized handshakes! Not my style and I didn't need to see it!

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

bayteacher97

Old 01-04-2020, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I quit teaching two years ago, but now watch Youtube teachers and Instagrams! Never did when I was actually in the classroom. Now I am just a fan.
bayteacher97 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-05-2020, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Back when I was teaching, I wasn't involved with any kind of social media AT ALL of any fellow teachers, etc. and I'm glad I wasn't. I was just never into all that and still not now.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

BellJ

Old 01-05-2020, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it is a good idea to unfollow. I always try to remind myself that social media is not a good example of the everyday life of teaching. Still, it's hard to not compare.
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I've lost the link
Old 01-05-2020, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

but a couple of years ago (or so) a teacher did a real life comparison between her posts and the rest of her classroom. She showed how she cleans up a part of the class, photographs it, etc. Then she showed "the rest of the story" of how the remainder of the room really looks, along with the before and after shots of her selected space.

People do not generally post their problems, challenges, failures, for all to see. Too bad because each of us has bad days, invading parents, sick kids, unwilling students. We shouldn't beat up on ourselves for being human, for having situations.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Unfollowing
Old 01-08-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have had to unfollow a lot of these accounts on IG, Twitter, FB, etc. because it gives me anxiety that I am not doing enough.

Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Betsy2542

I unfollowed too
Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I unfollowed all Facebook , Instagram , and Pinterest teacher stuff. It is getting out of hand. To me the elaborate stuff they do will become expected of us. Plus, when Iím not at school I donít want to be reminded of it. At the end of the day this is just a job just like anyone else. Why should we make it our whole life and be expected to do insane elaborate things.
Betsy2542 is offline   Reply With Quote