Help

National Board Certification

PLN Confusion

>

LoveMoo11

PLN Confusion
Old 01-04-2020, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working on C4 and thought I had an idea nailed down that involved helping my coworkers improve their technology skills to implement in the classroom (I work with an aging staff). However, when I shared this idea, I was told by another candidate in my FB group that the PLN had to be something I needed to learn, not something I was teaching someone else. The way I understood it, I was to take leadership in identifying and improving a need among a professional learning community. At my school, that would probably be my whole teaching staff (we are K-8 with 110 students and there are 10 teachers). I re-read the instructions but it isn't clear to me.
So, am I tackling a PERSONAL PLN, or taking leadership in remedying one in my PLC?
Thank you.

LoveMoo11 is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 01-04-2020, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the instructions say that the PLN has to be:

Quote:
a need for professional learning by yourself and/or by yourself and your colleagues that you identified as a result of your knowledge of students...
no matter what, it has to be something you, yourself, learn.

personally, i wouldn't have been as successful with C4 unless i learned something with my coworkers, then collected data after we all applied our learning to creating activities that positively impacted our students.

but that's just me.

one of my colleagues in the social studies dept did it differently. he learned something at a seminar, then came back and taught it to his department, and then as a department they used what they learned to make some changes to instruction throughout their department.

ask another teacher who certified, and they probably did something different still.

but yeah, you have to learn something as part of the requirements for the component.
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-04-2020, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you're combining the SN and the PLN. The SN requires advocacy, leadership, and collaboration, not the PLN.

You can make your PLN work if you add in what you learned in order to teach colleagues. Include yourself in the learning.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote