Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Bike, trike or scooter?

>

Paddlegurl

Bike, trike or scooter?
Old 01-05-2020, 06:07 AM

My daughter will be 3 in February. We are planning to get some outdoor toys either for her birthday or Easter (after Christmas there is no room for toys in my house!)

We are stuck on what would be the best choice: a trike, bike with training wheels, balance bike or scooter.

I am as usual driving myself crazy reading recommendations - balance bikes are supposed to make it easier to learn to ride, but pedaling is good for development...everything says something different.

She is tiny (34 inches tall) and most of the bikes and trikes I'm looking at say 37 inches and up. She seems a bit old for the convertible trikes a parent can push, but if she got 1 summer out of it baby brother could use it for a few years. She did have a hand me down balance bike last summer but wouldn't go near it. I'm leaning towards a scooter, or maybe stick with the cozy coupe for another year and come up with a different idea!

What did your kids love and what were they successful with at this age/size?

Some of the options I was considering:

Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Stroll 'N Trike https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0716ZKHK3/..._1QEeEb21Z2R75

Minnie Mouse 10" Fly Wheel Ride-on Tricycle, Pink/White/Teal, 12.2" x 19.8" https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075B1BSPZ/..._nSEeEbZKMB96W

Strider - 12 Sport Balance Bike, Ages 18 Months to 5 Years, Pink https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IZXCCMI/..._HTEeEb64Q57TW

Micro Mini Deluxe Scooter - Red https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BE0JIDE/..._eVEeEb7G9W48H

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Huffy-Disn.../1807012B.html

Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 01-05-2020, 06:12 AM

I really dont know which to recommend. I will suggest that you get her one in a neutral color so baby brother can use it too. Ok..I raised all boys and they never wanted pink. Just sayin..
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

happygal

Hands down
Old 01-05-2020, 06:17 AM

The trike. Perfect age for a tricycle. Great price too. She is too little for the other toys.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-05-2020, 06:35 AM

My son is 4 1/2. He has always been on the short side.

He has a trike, scooter, balance bike, and 2-wheeler with training wheels.

He's had the trike for years and still can't properly reach the pedals well enough to efficiently pedal. He likes me to push him on it but then he's getting no exercise.

He uses the scooter a little bit.

He can pedal the 2- wheeler but he can't go very fast.

The balance bike is his absolute favorite. Once he caught on how to use it he can zip around and loves to pick up his feet and coast.

My older son transitioned from scooter to 2-wheeler (no training wheels) easily.

Once my younger son grows some more I think he'll ride his 2-wheeler well (and I don't want him to rely on training wheels).

Maybe do the trike for this summer then get a balance bike next year?
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 01-05-2020, 06:58 AM

I was going to reccomended the micro mini scooter! It's perfect for that age and tons of fun. Both of my kids used it for a long time!

love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsP0405

Old 01-05-2020, 08:08 AM

My son is three and I just got him a scooter. He had a trike but always wanted to use his siblings' scooters. He had a starter scooter but wanted one where he could "go really fast" like his brother lol. He couldn't wait to use it! My kids have used their scooters for years. They never enjoyed pedaling when they were younger, it was always difficult for them.
MrsP0405 is online now   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Balance Bike
Old 01-05-2020, 08:45 AM

My nephews both used a balance bike. The oldest one is very short and was still able to successfully balance and ride it. It was passed down to his younger brother.

The oldest nephew was able to move straight from a balance bike to a regular bike without training wheels.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Scooter
Old 01-05-2020, 08:47 AM

My granddaughters loved their scooters. My 3 year old has one with 3 wheels. I like that they are lightweight and very inexpensive. Also easy to transport.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Trike
Old 01-05-2020, 08:49 AM

The trike will likely fit her best.

Plus she will be introduced to the prefix tri which means 3. Seroiusly, my third graders did not know what a tricycle was. They all had motorized cars.

Last edited by 1956BD; 01-05-2020 at 09:43 AM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Another option
Old 01-05-2020, 09:15 AM

I know this isnít one of the choices you mentioned above, but my kids have gotten years of use out of this little car. My oldest son got it for his birthday when he turned 3 and absolutely loved it. My youngest son took it over when he was old enough to ride on it. Youngest son is 5 now itís still his favorite outdoor door. They both got the hang of riding it much easier than they did a trike or bike.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Plas...plasma+&sr=8-3

TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Balance bike
Old 01-05-2020, 09:56 AM

I vote for a balance bike. My cousin's twin DDs are now 3, but they got a balance bike when they were 18 months old, and learned quickly how to use it. They now ride bikes without training wheels.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 01-05-2020, 11:19 AM

My niece had all at that age (she's the only grandchild/niece so we spoil her-and we are bargain hunters). She used her trike by far the most at that age, but did like the scooter too. She has just a regular radio flyer trike. There are two sizes, so at her age she would need the smaller deck to reach the pedals.

She HATES the balance bike that her dad bought her later and won't touch it, but my cousins boys loved theirs at that age.

She didn't start to use the bike with training wheels until the next spring when she was 4.

We were lucky that Toys R Us was still in business so we were able to take her there to try things out.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 01-05-2020, 03:22 PM

Thanks folks! Lots of good ideas. We do still have Toys R Us here in Canada, though about 2 hours away. We might make a trip and let her try some of them out and see what she likes and can use.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-05-2020, 03:56 PM

I'd say balance bike first, then scooter.
My kids all learned to ride bikes on a balance bike and it was amazing! My boys learned at age 3 and my daughter (not as much of a risk taker) at age 5. But they all went straight from that to a bike with no training wheels. Pedaling was never a problem. You literally don't have to do anything!
Scooters are nice because they use them for a long time, plus they are small and easy to take places. My kids went straight to a two wheel scooter. It takes practice but they get the balancing part pretty quickly.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote