Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Bathroom remodel debacle.

>

Clarity

Bathroom remodel debacle.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 AM

I had to fire contractor #1. Hired another guy, who came in and told me all the things #1 has done wrong. He basically has to redo the drywall and some plumbing, possibly electrical (we don't know until the drywall is taken down and and the electrical inspected, which is ANOTHER thing he did not do). I will basically be paying a LOT more to have work redone. Contractor #2 says #1 super over-charged me. So this bathroom will be a VERY expensive project. Contractor #1 will probably be fined at the very least. Not sure I want to deal with going to court. What a creep. This was someone I trusted, who has been doing work for me for over two years. I never had a problem with his previous work. Have no idea why he turned into a jerk.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

That's Horrible
Old 01-07-2020, 09:55 AM

I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope your second contractor turns out to a fair person who does excellent work.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-07-2020, 09:57 AM

Ugh, I’m sorry for you. Hiring people to do jobs we can’t do ourselves (and don’t really understand) is such a leap of faith. I now try to interview 3, then hire the one I perceive as most trustworthy. I feel for you, Clarity.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-07-2020, 10:41 AM

Scary. I just started calling around for bids on a bathroom remodel. I've been really hoping my first choice can do it since he's the one I "know." Scary that a contractor you know already is now a problem.
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

remodel
Old 01-07-2020, 10:56 AM

I'm so sorry you are going through this mess. We have a friend who spent 30 years as a city building inspector and he has stories that would curl your hair. Homeowners that try to cut corners, contractors that forget key things and end up putting lives in danger. Get a city inspector to come in and back up what #2 says.
You can report #1 to the registrar of contractors. He may be fined or have his license pulled. You don't want another homeowner to go through something similar! It's not revenge, it's protection.

Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-07-2020, 11:31 AM

I hope you take him to court to recoup some of your money. Also, report him for his lack of professionalism.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 AM

Iím so sorry that you are dealing with this. Make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, too.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I think you may want to reconsider
Old 01-07-2020, 12:50 PM

taking contractor #1 to court. After you have your building inspectors make a report you will have proof of the inadequate work. Small claims court is usually cut and dry, no lawyer needed and evidence is what wins the case. If contractor #1 realizes he has done bad work, he probably won't even show up to court, just let the judge rule against him and pay what you sue him for.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 01-07-2020, 02:47 PM

Your post is giving me flashbacks. We bought a one bedroom house and hired someone to redo the bathroom... Shoddy work, overcharge, lies, sub par material...You name it he did it.

After a consultation with a lawyer, we complained to the state contractor board. (our small claim amount is small, and we could get more with contractor board.) They were great and we got a refund of a good part of our money.
(Lawyer recommended the board. He said wouldn't get any more if we sued, and we wouldn't have to pay him)

Highly recommend you get the city building inspector out to look at the work. His report was a huge help with the contractor board. Plus, in our case, the city also fined the guy.

Our first contractor was so bad that a few months after we settled, the state pulled his license (over another job) and said he could never again have one in our state.

It is frustrating. It is annoying. But, you did the right thing in firing the guy. In the end you will have a quality job.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

The new contractor came over today
Old 01-08-2020, 04:46 PM

with a contract. He says he will start Monday and the job should not take more than a week or so. Hmmmm. Can't wait!!

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Clarity
Old 01-08-2020, 05:33 PM
This message has been deleted by Clarity. Reason: Duplicate

anna

Old 01-08-2020, 07:28 PM

I'm so glad this work will finally get done. We have gone through similar trials over the years. Finding the right person to do the work is very difficult and speaks for the need to bring back vocational ed. in the schools.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote