Help

BusyBoard

Grades

>

readerabbit

Grades
Old 01-09-2020, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have any of your schools given up the traditional grade system ABC etc for just a check box of basic and mastery , advanced? If so how do you and parents like it ? If you don’t mind what state . I am from La. This is being pushed on teachers and parents . When I started teaching in 1976 there was H was- A or B but you couldn’t tell as parent unless the teacher had scores . A was Average and L Was low - D or F ... again unless the teacher verified it you might be a D or might be an F . That system lasted about 3 years then back to reality.Now the teachers are told no honor roll . I guess no valedictorian and salutatorian. Just wondering :confused. TIA

readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-10-2020, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school does a standards based system where the grades are mastery, developing, and needs improvement. We use those from K-5. 6th grade uses traditional grades to help transition to jr. high. As teachers we like it, and once parents got over the initial "shock" they've come to like it as well. It makes sense if your report card is standards based, because it shows exactly which standards have been mastered and which have not.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2020, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree . Really not a new thing but sometimes our district has been known just to shove stuff down your throat instead of easing into the transition. Glad you clarified about upper grades . Rumor in the district they are going to did it upper grades / Highschool too . Another reason , I wanted input . Thanks again.

Haley23

Old 01-10-2020, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've had standards based grading for years and years in my area. I'm in elementary. I'm honestly not sure what they do in HS. I have wondered how they could possibly pull that off in HS with GPAs still being really important for college.

As a teacher I can see that it gives much more accurate information about what a child truly does and doesn't know/can and can't do. Letter grades were often influenced by things like behavior and effort, which gave an inaccurate picture of the student's skill levels.

That said, parents don't like it. Even though it's been so many years, they don't understand it. They know what an "A" means. They have a hard time understanding what a 1-4 rating on a standard is. It's also hard because we've been told a "4" is truly advanced/well above the standard. So one can be a "good student," exactly where they should be, etc. and get a 3, which parents view as less than/not where the child should be.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Thank you Haley
Old 01-11-2020, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You touched on a few points I was wondering about . Those were the same points I faced wayyy back in 1976. Just becoming fact oriented as well as reality . I knew I could depend on my PTers to give a Birdseye view.

LuvsPixieDust

In transition
Old 01-11-2020, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My school is in transition to standards based grading for next year. Each dept. is having to "unpack" the standards and determine the level 2 and 3. I am so very confused (or maybe just unmotivated).

I don't think any teachers are happy about it. In the big picture I think it is a good thing, but we don't know how to move forward. I think parents will be confused.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote