Help

National Board Certification

C4 - getting my bearings

>

teabreak

C4 - getting my bearings
Old 01-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, this is probably another time when I am overthinking this so please bear with me.

Iím an Exceptional Needs working on C4 and am wondering if I would be correct in thinking that for the Written Commentary, that the knowledge of Students and the Assessment Data are tied together, but the PLC work can be separate.

I have gone over what to include in my commentary and one line under Knowledge of Students states, ď[You will show how you apply this information to one particular unit of instruction in the next section.]Ē.

After answering all of the prompts for KOS and assessments, I can go right into PLC work. The issue is this:

The student need Iím focusing on is mainly diversity (poverty, race, beliefs, and restorative justice) and this is part of why I am developing the ELA unit I am. So is loosely tying these together ok or will that make it more convoluted?

Does any of this make sense?

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 01-11-2020, 11:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

are you JUST focusing on the KOS part of C4 right now with these questions?

i really hope so, because if this is also part of your SN and PLN, then i wouldn't know what to say.

if it's just for KOS, it really needs to be about your own students. you can branch into the greater population of your school for the PLN and SN.

this is part of the reason i have major problems with the way NBPTS constructed C4. I know some who have certified will cheerlead anything they do, but it's really an extremely convoluted component. i'm not here to defend NBPTS. they make a lot of $$$$ off of candidates, and they'll be just fine without anybody being obsequious towards them. i'm here to help my fellow teachers.

Think of C4 as 2 different components, in my opinion. The first part is KOS, and that really needs to be about your own students in your own cert area. Find out from your colleagues and parents/guardians what the needs are for YOUR students in your own cert area. Then design instruction that caters to their needs based on the feedback you got, and do exactly what the instructions say.

The second part of C4 is the PLN and SN. These don't have to be about just your own students, but rather how your practice impacts the needs of your school's student population and staff. And the PLN and SN don't have to be connected at all. i treated KOS, PLN, and SN completely separately because trying to tie any of those pieces to each other led to nonstop headaches. that doesn't mean they can't be connected, so please don't think that's what i'm saying.

Last edited by WhyHello; 01-12-2020 at 12:16 AM..
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-12-2020, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Many (if not most) candidates say C4 is a beast and this is probably the most common question.

The SN/PLN CAN relate to each other and/or the unit/assessments, but do not HAVE to. You MUST derive your unit/assessments directly from your KoS/Group Profile. NBs doesn't have a preference which route you take; if they did, it would be a requirement.

When deciding your SN/PLN, I recommend you look to the evidence first. You need 6 unique pieces of evidence for the SN/PLN: how you identified the need (easy), how you met the need (can be tricky), and how you know your efforts improved student performance (can be tricky). Keep in mind the SN requires you to show collaboration, leadership, and/or advocacy as well.

You are not limited to your roster for the SN/PLN; it can be any population you identify.

I hope this helps!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Getting there
Old 01-12-2020, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both for answering me. Yes Zia, this one is a bit of a beast but I know I can tackle it. I just have a tendency to over think and make the more simple much more complex . When I did this the 1st time, I tied everything together but this time it makes more sense for me to break them apart a bit. There will be a thread of similarity, but I donít think it will be so much that it inhibits what Iím doing. My student group will be the common thread between both as they are tied together in my area of expertise.

WhyHello, no I wasnít focusing just on KOS. I have that down pretty well as I know these students very well. My question was basically, would having a loose common thread between my SN and my PLN be an issue. I do have to say that when you went off about the process of NBPTS it started to stress me out even more. I understand that you arenít fond of the process, but it might be good to just help those of us continuing to work through it instead of adding more stress.

Thanks again to both of you. My cohort starts up again soon and I know some of these questions will then be directed there. Thanks for putting up with me thus far
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

teabreak, I agree this forum needs to focus on positivity. It's a stressful journey--let's not add to it.
Quote:
Yes Zia, this one is a bit of a beast but I know I can tackle it. I just have a tendency to over think and make the more simple much more complex
I know you can! But you aren't alone in finding C4 tough.

Quote:
My cohort starts up again soon and I know some of these questions will then be directed there. Thanks for putting up with me thus far
I'm here for you and rooting for you!

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote