Help

Retired Teachers

January is My Toughest Month

>

Song of Joy

January is My Toughest Month
Old 01-12-2020, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I loved being retired in September - I was able to harvest my garden and freeze and can produce and we traveled. I loved being retired in Oct./Nov./Dec. because I tutored and I attended concerts, recitals, plays, luncheons, parties, Bible Studies and educational courses.

But January in the Pacific Northwest has been day after day of dark, dreary, dripping January weather with no interesting events to break up the monotony. I miss teaching this month. I assume I will feel better when the days start getting longer and I can go outside again.

Just putting this out there to see if I'm normal.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Think back
Old 01-12-2020, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

what were some of the things you wanted to do outside of school when you were still teaching? You have time to do them now.

learn a new skill?
clean and organize your home better?
write a book?
journal?
try a new sport?
start a bridge club?
start a supper club?
prep the garden for spring?
plant herb garden indoors?

The possibilities are endless.

I think it is perfectly normal to miss teaching at times. Maybe you could teach Sunday school? Or teach crafts at an old folks home? Or teach a class at the city recreation department? Tutor? Sub?

Some of like structure in our schedule and to be busy so that requires that we are always planning ahead. Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re:January
Old 01-12-2020, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good evening to all-

Absolutely agree. January is the worst month by far. Why? For most of our family's lives:
1. it gets cold and the world ices up.
2. Kids get sick
3. I get sick.
4. things break- cars, appliances, plumbing
5. We're broke after the holidays
6. Thursdays in January used to last for at least a week on dark, cold, grumpy January middle school class schedules
7. No baseball
8. No football

Is this not enough?

Of course, since retirement and our move to the south, the only of these that still count are 3, 7, and 8.

Good night to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Gloomies
Old 01-12-2020, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I live in the PNW too and one of the great things about retirement is no getting up early, no indoor recess, no helping with boots and coats (I taught K ) and no standing in the rain at carline.

I know I'm an anomaly but I love cold gray drippy days. It's a good excuse to stay inside with hot chocolate and a good book or movie. But I also don't mind being out and about in the rain....this month so far I've been to 2 events at the science museum, volunteered in a classroom, gone to church and met a friend for dinner. Coming up this month is more volunteering, spending time with my grandkids and a book club meeting.

I think for a lot of people and maybe for you, the gloomy days make you feel sluggish and are therefore less motivated to go out and find those things that you enjoyed in sunnier times. When you were teaching you had to be up and active, maybe you need to just force yourself to find a class or a concert or a Bible study that will help pass the time until the sun returns.

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 01-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the great suggestions. I still do exercise, see people and tutor students. But we have had almost non-stop rain for almost 3 weeks now and the lack of sun starts to get to me. I know that once I make it to February, things will be better.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 01-13-2020, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can always volunteer at the school. I think this would probably "cure you" pretty quick.

Also, animal shelters need volunteers, especially after the holidays when people really stepped up, but volunteers wane this time of year. Maybe you can bring cheer to a fur baby and that fur baby will bring sunshine to you.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that January is the toughest. Except for icy mornings Iím so glad I donít have to commute.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

If the lack of sunlight
Old 01-13-2020, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

makes you feel really down maybe you should consider purchasing a portable light source to absorb some rays from on cloudy days. There are really small and affordable options today.

I hope you can embrace retirement all the time really soon. Enjoy!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Winter is tough...
Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't like the winter months when the snow kicks in and affects my mobility because I hate driving in winter weather.

I belong to gym and keep up with the classes I enjoy. They just added several more on the schedule that interest me, so I will be taking advantage of those.

I am in a hiking group. Sometimes, the hikes are too far or too difficult for my level of ability, but I try to sign up for one every month or so. They are hard to get into because the leader caps them, but I try my best to get on the ones that interest me.

Our public library has a lot of activities going on. They offer free movies on Thursdays. I like to see the movies i the theaters, but seeing them in the library is a good option if I miss one I wanted to see. They also have speakers, crafts, game groups and concerts if one wanted to avail themselves of those things.

We have an active senior center in my town. Once again, I have not needed to look to that for activities, but they offer exercise classes, speakers, and other things.

Our local adult schools offer classes and trips. I'm hoping to see the musical about the Temptations on Broadway in March if they still have availability for the bus in the next two weeks. It's not in the budget till then!

If you miss teaching, maybe there are volunteer or subbing opportunities for you at a school. I am hoping to join a group called The College Club in September. They are a charitable organization who raises money for literacy activities, among other things. I would join earlier, except the membership is only through May of each year, and it is pricey.

I hope you find your mojo for January. The winter can definitely be a depressing, down time.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NancyLee

NJ Teacher
Old 01-13-2020, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It sounds like you are lucky and have lots of good options to keep you busy in your town!

NancyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

NancyLee

Song of Joy
Old 01-13-2020, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Rain is the worst, isn't it? I don't mind the snow, unless it is just day after day.
NancyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-13-2020, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm from Seattle, and I solved this problem by moving to Arizona 20 years ago. Give me 100F summer days any time compared to constant drizzle.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 01-21-2020, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm in Minnesota, and every year, even when working, by end of January-February I am depressed. It has to be due to the lack of sunlight. I do use a SAD light.

Knowing this, I proactively have scheduled longer trips during this time of year. Last year was 3 weeks in Mexico. This year we will be going to Spain for 5 weeks.

Hopefully when we return in March we will be able to return to our regular scheduled activities.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote