National Board Certification

Evidence for C4 PLC

>

Nenya

Evidence for C4 PLC
Old 01-13-2020, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! AYA-ELA here.

I'm wrestling with a professional learning/advocacy question. We've identified a need at my (small, private) school to develop intentional inclusion policies for LGBTQ+ kids in addition to some staff development.

My question is: is advocating for and writing an inclusion policy and doing some staff training an appropriate topic? LGBTQ+ inclusion and justice is not directly tied to ELA (there is some language I could pull about the learning environment), so I'm not sure how to tie it back to student learning.

And for collecting evidence, I'm not totally sure. I have some emails from students that I could use, and I could interview my principal for evidence of the need. I'm not sure how to collect evidence of impact on student learning, though. I feel icky just polling the school community, and I'm unsure about interviewing students. It's a sensitive issue, and I don't want them to feel like I'm using them.

Any ideas? Or do you think I should just dump this idea?

Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-13-2020, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Both SN and PLN require 3 pieces of evidence each (a total of 6): how you identified the need (easy), how you met the need (pretty easy), and how you know your efforts improved student performance (can be tough). I recommend looking to the evidence when choosing SN/PLN.

I don't have an opinion about whether or not you should use this--it is totally your decision. But figure out what you would have for evidence before getting too invested.

Also, brava to your school for taking this step!

Last edited by Zia; 01-14-2020 at 05:39 AM..
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 01-13-2020, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm AYA ELA as well.

I think you answered your own question. If you're not sure how to tie LGBTQ+ advocacy back to student learning, then it's not going to be a high-scoring PLN for you. Maybe I'm inferring too much, but the fact that you felt the need to call your school "small, private", and that you felt asking your staff questions about LGBTQ+ stuff felt "icky", it doesn't seem like a great PLN fit for you and your school to me.

Apologies for my bluntness, but you were very forthcoming with your post, and I don't want to respond with innuendo.
WhyHello is online now   Reply With Quote

MCk2

Old 01-14-2020, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Could including resources (books, articles, etc.) that are LGBTQ+ inclusive in your classroom lead to higher engagement and therefore have an impact on student learning?
MCk2 is offline   Reply With Quote