Help

National Board Certification

Library and Information studies

>

lovehorses

Library and Information studies
Old 01-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking for guidance. Hello fellow librarians! I am working on C3, and questioning my focus. I have filmed a few lessons, but wonder if they are on target:
Hello Rang-tan! I have a 6th grade class and we are in a unit of Media Literacy. They're learning to identify types of information using critical thinking and their new knowledge of the differences between: news, advertising, opinion, entertainment, propaganda. For the video, I showed them a 3 minute advertisement that is NOT clearly an ad. In table groups, they discussed what the main purpose of the video was. It had strong elements of entertainment, opinion, and propaganda, but in the end it was an ad.

I think it was a really good lesson, but is it library -y enough? We're not doing research or evaluating a website. Should I change focus?

lovehorses is offline   Reply With Quote

MCk2

Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am also Library Media and I scored 3.0 on C3.

I think your lesson sounds awesome and I would go with it! I think the information literacy skills you are teaching are a part of research. They will use these skills next time they have to research a specific topic.
MCk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovehorses

Old 01-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your thoughts!
Going further with that unit, the ad in question was made by Greenpeace for Iceland Foods. We are doing a jigsaw activity where they're reading 4 different articles about why the ad was "banned" from TV. I filmed that one too because it's an AVID strategy.
None of them really understand what it means that the ad was made by a political group pushing a political issue. Maybe I film them doing actual research on political organizations like Greenpeace where I give them one source, they locate another source independently, and then in groups, they evaluate those sources for bias...?
That might be more information literacy rather than my original lesson which was definitely media literacy.
Ideas?

MCk2

Old 01-16-2020, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ah, I agree that the original is more media literacy and the second is more information literacy. And I really like your second idea, however, the instructions say that

Quote:
You submit two 1015 minute videos of your teaching practice, showcasing different
instructional units, content, and strategies in each.
So, it seems like these lessons would be part of the same unit, which would violate the rule? Also, one video needs to be whole group and one small group (unless you have some other appropriate configuration besides these two, but most people do small group and whole group) and it seems like these are both small group.

lovehorses

Old 01-16-2020, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You're correct. I was thinking of submitting the researching of political groups as one video, and doing something totally different for the other. I have a 4th grade class where I'll be teaching them how to compare/evaluate primary sources.

MCk2

Old 01-17-2020, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ah! I see! I misread where you were going with that.

All your ideas sound on target to me. I think it will just come down to which video turns out to have the most to write about.